U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
 
1,685 posts, read 1,994,556 times
Reputation: 1331

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, I know. Just sayin'. I asked DH when he got home (U of I grad) and he feels as I do.
I don't know either. My brother (who lives in Naperville) has his Master's Degree in Computer Science from U of IL. Has a great job too - in Naperville, not Champaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Status: "Happy Thanksgiving Week!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,706 posts, read 59,955,448 times
Reputation: 20002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I don't know either. My brother (who lives in Naperville) has his Master's Degree in Computer Science from U of IL. Has a great job too - in Naperville, not Champaign.
Yeah, I think Chicago is more the jobs center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefrost View Post
Kinda curious about this one since I'm going for a visual arts/video game degree. What are the most tech-savvy cities in the US; the ones that fly just under the mainstream?

Like San Francisco and the California coast are chock-full of tech and so is Seattle.

What are the ones that are just as techy or up and coming in the field, like Raleigh, NC? Are there any others?
I wouldn't classify Raleigh as "under the radar" or "up and coming"...Raleigh's Research Triangle and Silicon Valley are the two most prominent high tech R&D centers in the U.S. Some RTP facts:

1. The largest research park in the nation at 7,000 acres.
2. Created in 1959.
3. Employees 52,000 people.
4. Home to over 170 R&D facilities.
5. IBM - 11,000 employees at RTP.
6. GlaxcoSmithKline - 5,000 employess at RTP.


Huntsville is a tech city that I wasn't really aware of until a couple of years ago...I don't know if it was under the radar, but it was certainly under my radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Reputation: 5328
OK, well apparently nothing is under the radar... yes because of the UofI comp sci program and have some job postings from now and then.
it seems obvious from people in the industry that NOTHING is under the radar and is all known about then.
this is for people entering the job market who may not know...thus the post response

Honestly to most people I believe the cities I mentioned are under the radar, you can choose to disagree, but how about naming some others in the process? None of the major metro areas are under the radar then either, because obviously they are major metro areas.

The ones I mentioned are smaller cities with high tech sectors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK, well apparently nothing is under the radar... yes because of the UofI comp sci program and have some job postings from now and then.
it seems obvious from people in the industry that NOTHING is under the radar and is all known about then.
this is for people entering the job market who may not know...thus the post response

Honestly to most people I believe the cities I mentioned are under the radar, you can choose to disagree, but how about naming some others in the process? None of the major metro areas are under the radar then either, because obviously they are major metro areas.

The ones I mentioned are smaller cities with high tech sectors
What a snappy response. Just because you're wrong is no reason to get snappy. Again, Research Triangle Park is the largest in the U.S. and is well-known internationally. Take a look: The Research Triangle Park

If you think it's the radar, so be it. Keep thinking it if you want to - but you need to adjust your radar if that's the case. I believe I mentioned Huntsville as one that is possibly under the radar. Huntsville Alabama USA - Cummings Research Park

Is that good enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,714,805 times
Reputation: 5328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What a snappy response. Just because you're wrong is no reason to get snappy. Again, Research Triangle Park is the largest in the U.S. and is well-known internationally. Take a look: The Research Triangle Park

If you think it's the radar, so be it. Keep thinking it if you want to - but you need to adjust your radar if that's the case. I believe I mentioned Huntsville as one that is possibly under the radar. Huntsville Alabama USA - Cummings Research Park

Is that good enough for you?
wasn't referring to yours
i honestly don't care that much, wasn't trying to be snappy... it is the internet ya know :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,659,498 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
wasn't referring to yours
i honestly don't care that much, wasn't trying to be snappy... it is the internet ya know :P
Oh...nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: In the heights
11,287 posts, read 10,035,152 times
Reputation: 4844
Well there's this article from Forbes Top 10 Up-And-Coming Tech Cities

Believe it if you want. I also want to vote Pittsburgh, but the city needs to do something about retaining some of the talent the universities attract. Pittsburgh really has the potential to be something amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 12 days ago)
 
31,568 posts, read 37,289,257 times
Reputation: 6329
Maybe Syracuse?
SRC

Sensis Corporation - Detect the Difference

Anaren Microwave - microwave components, subassemblies, LTCC, ceramic processing, Wireless, Space, and Defense Electronics, Amitron

lockheedmartinjobs.com | search all jobs (http://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/jobsearch_all.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Status: "Happy Thanksgiving Week!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,706 posts, read 59,955,448 times
Reputation: 20002
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK, well apparently nothing is under the radar... yes because of the UofI comp sci program and have some job postings from now and then.
it seems obvious from people in the industry that NOTHING is under the radar and is all known about then.
this is for people entering the job market who may not know...thus the post response

Honestly to most people I believe the cities I mentioned are under the radar, you can choose to disagree, but how about naming some others in the process? None of the major metro areas are under the radar then either, because obviously they are major metro areas.

The ones I mentioned are smaller cities with high tech sectors
What companies are in Champaign besides the U of I, which is not really a company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top