Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

I'd probably consider Boston or Seattle as the first two most viable options outside of Chicago. They are both northern cities on the ocean with a cooler climate which are not the biggest kids on the block, but with a vibrant cultural scene.

My second tier choices would be New York City, Washington DC, or some smaller to medium sized New England town (are there any other types of New England towns ).

I'm not interested in the south, southwest, or southern California as places to live, I prefer just to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
looking to leave the cold and expensiveness of boston..... what do you guys recommend. My requirements are reasonable COL, gay friendly/good gay social scene, and coastal...
I doubt you like Houston, but it fits what you are looking for in a big way.

Reasonable cost of living and booming economy
The inner loop area particularly the thriving montrose neighborhood is very liberal and gay friendly
The ocean is a short drive away

The heat in the summer though might be a bit much since Boston and Rhode Island have relatively mild summers

Old 03-06-2009, 07:02 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
As far as where I would move to if I had to....

I love Philadelphia (favorite NE city) and Pittsburgh is great as well. I can't forget my hometown of Rochester NY or Buffalo or Syracuse as well

Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'd probably consider Boston or Seattle as the first two most viable options outside of Chicago. They are both northern cities on the ocean with a cooler climate which are not the biggest kids on the block, but with a vibrant cultural scene.

My second tier choices would be New York City, Washington DC, or some smaller to medium sized New England town (are there any other types of New England towns ).

I'm not interested in the south, southwest, or southern California as places to live, I prefer just to visit.
x2... exactly what I was thinking.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:13 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
just got back from Miami - great city to visit but i honestly don't know if i could live there

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Savannah, GA

Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Given a choice, and only if I had to leave for my job, I think Chicago and Philadelphia would top my list. These are the only two cities that are enough different from my current home to make a move interesting while still having all the amenities I'm accustomed to having without being too big or too overrated.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
probably back to LA.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
or some smaller to medium sized New England town (are there any other types of New England towns ).
hahaha nope, not really... that just about sums it up. The majority of Southeastern New England is metro Boston which means that the cities and towns over there are satellite or suburban Boston cities. Even Worcester could be thrown into that mix. In fact, most of the "larger" cities (not named Boston) like Providence, New Haven, Stamford, etc are satellite cities. Even those "larger" New England cities like Springfield, by national standards (at 150,000) are a small. Hartford and Providence are small cities as well (you could include Manchester NH in that mix too).

Places like New Haven, Stamford, and Bridgeport are satellite cities of NYC. That leaves places like Bangor, Concord, Portland, Pittsfield, Burlington, as the real "independent" towns not previously mentioned. Portland is the biggest out of the those, and it's set up and feels like a medium sized town more than an urban area.

Long story short, If you live outside of a major metro area (NYC or Boston) in New England, you're going to be living in a small city at most and most likely a small or medium sized town.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Portland, Me., or anyplace else in the New York or New England area. Absolutely no place known for SUN and HEAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.