U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
We get a nice day in the winter and people act like it's always like this in the Northeast in the winter.
I don't think people are saying that at all, but when it is obvious that the OP is not correct about the temp., I think people would want to point that out. Yes, it can get cold and snowy in the NE, but it's not like it is always like that in the winter either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,626,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiweaver9 View Post
yeah im making things up. how many times this last month has it been say, 9 degrees....maybe 10.....but mostly up around 20. Oh wait, i mean the last TWO months.
Today was 55 degrees and still gloomy and extremely windy. Not my idea of a great place. If you haven't noticed all up until today the entire northeast was very cold.

I want some real responses not some smart-ass comments. If you have no other helpful information, then go somewhere else and post your comments.
You are making things up. Look at the average temps for these months. Its not 15 degrees for an average.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,090,109 times
Ok, so I think skiweaver9s point is -- it's colder than they would like where they are now. Would like to find somewhere warmer and not so windy. I live in Iowa and would like to move to where it is warmer myself so can appreciate the frustration with colder weather. Can't wait for spring to really arrive!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM

21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
Ok, so I think skiweaver9s point is -- it's colder than they would like where they are now. Would like to find somewhere warmer and not so windy. I live in Iowa and would like to move to where it is warmer myself so can appreciate the frustration with colder weather. Can't wait for spring to really arrive!
Interesting. I thought the same way when I lived in the north, so I moved south. And now I don't really care anymore when spring arrives because there is no real winter here. So I guess there is also a downside to subtropical climate, the lack of joy when winter is over

Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,090,109 times
My husband would like us to still live where there are 4 seasons, which would be ok as long as the winter is very mild. We have had brown Christmases before and that just doesn't feel quite right so not sure how I would like a green one. But I sure would like to try!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:52 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,032,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Saint George, Utah. It's a town of 70,000 in SW Utah about 1.5 hours from Las Vegas. It's next to Zion National Park. The area is gorgeous, warm, and bone dry.
And what exactly do you do for employment in St. George, UT...?! It might be OK for retired people or those who can work out of their homes, but other than that it's a ridiculous suggestion.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 18,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
You are making things up. Look at the average temps for these months. Its not 15 degrees for an average.
oh sorry,, I didn't have the fact sheet out about our weather. 15, 25, 35 its ALL cold. And frankly, you just make sense as to my next point that people who live here are miserable. You are one of them! Otherwise, you wouldn't have taken the time to point out that my 'degrees' were off.

THe next post has my point exactly. To me, its too cold. Whether its 2 degrees, 25, or 35, its still TOO cold. We got one day where it was 55 here and people were outside without their jackets on! I still wore mine, but it was 'above average' temperature for our city. It was a fluke, today its 39.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,626,245 times
So I'm miserable because I correct people's mistakes on the internet? Interesting. I just get annoyed easily when people post incorrect information. Does not make me miserable.
I don't go around making stupid assumptions like you do (the people are miserable...did you take a poll or something?)

Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM

11,871 posts, read 32,895,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
And what exactly do you do for employment in St. George, UT...?! It might be OK for retired people or those who can work out of their homes, but other than that it's a ridiculous suggestion.
Yeah, all 126,000 people in the Saint George area are retired. Don't be ridiculous.

There have been 20,000 jobs added to Saint George since 2000, 49,000 added since 1990. The January 2009 unemployment rate for Washington County was 5.2 percent.

Saint George does have a lot of retirees, but those retirees need services such as banks, restaurants, insurance agents, hospitals, etc.

There's a college in Saint George with 6500 students. Saint George is headquarters to SkyWest Airlines. And it does have some manufacturing, believe it or not, the largest of which is Viracon which employees over 1,400 people in Saint George. Several other manufacturers are in town with at least 100 employees. But manufacturing is only 7% of Saint George's workforce.

There are two employers in Saint George that employ at least 2,000 each, two that employ at least 1,000, two that employ at least 500, and eight that employ at least 250.

All of this information is freely available to anyone who wants to look. Clearly, you didn't want to look. Pity.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 AM

12 posts, read 18,748 times
When someone says that they don't like where they live because it is cold (REGARDLESS WHAT THE EXACT TEMPERATURE IS, MOST normal people (hmm everyone else who replied) would get my point, and offer options for me- which is the reason WHY i posted. Only a select few (oh, wait, i mean ONE), would say "Thats not true, you are off by 10 degrees" which defeats the whole purpose of my post. The only kind of person in my opinion who would waste their time doing that, is a miserable one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.