Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 PM

947 posts, read 2,398,565 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what is the best city to raise a family in but also has the best job market right now? Schools; churches; jobs; housing ang activities for families thanks

Last edited by stacieberry; 03-08-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: spelled word wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Texas seems to be the only place with positive job growth. Take a look at Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston areas.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
I agree with DailyJournalist who said to look into the Texas area. I, unfortunately, no longer live in Texas (due to my husbands job taking us elsewhere) but I did grow up in Texas, and still visit there a lot. I'd recommend staying away from the Houston area (unless it's a suburb) and focusing your searches more on the Austin area. The cost of living is relatively low, the job market (depending on your field of work) seems to be doing ok, it's VERY family friendly (especially in some of the suburbs) and the schools are some of the best (specifically Round Rock school district and Eanes school district). Austin (and it's suburbs) have frequently been rated one of the best cities to raise a family in, safest, cleanest, and I think anyone who lives or has lived in Austin has positive things to say about it.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Little Rock

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,088 times
oklahoma city.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
I agree with DailyJournalist who said to look into the Texas area. I, unfortunately, no longer live in Texas (due to my husbands job taking us elsewhere) but I did grow up in Texas, and still visit there a lot. I'd recommend staying away from the Houston area (unless it's a suburb) and focusing your searches more on the Austin area. The cost of living is relatively low, the job market (depending on your field of work) seems to be doing ok, it's VERY family friendly (especially in some of the suburbs) and the schools are some of the best (specifically Round Rock school district and Eanes school district). Austin (and it's suburbs) have frequently been rated one of the best cities to raise a family in, safest, cleanest, and I think anyone who lives or has lived in Austin has positive things to say about it.
Care to explain why they need to stay away from Houston unless it's the suburbs? Makes no sense...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Care to explain why they need to stay away from Houston unless it's the suburbs? Makes no sense...
What didn't make sense?

In my opinion (that's the key phrase here), I've always thought Houston had very high crime. I know several people who lived or currently live there, and that's one of their number one complaints. I also have family there, who says the same thing. Now, granted crime is everywhere and it could be worse other places (Detroit, St. Louis, etc), but if you're comparing it to other cities in Texas, Houston has a higher crime rate (especially violent crime). And yes, I'm aware that the crime rate is decreasing there, and I think that's awesome. I also don't think, compared to other cities in Texas, the schools are as good in Houston.

Just my opinion, by the way.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM

I agree with others, the large cities in Texas; Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin...

I don't know why one above poster says stay away from Houston and look at Austin instead... probably a native of Austin or elsewhere in Texas who has hardly set foot in Houston, the "big bad city." This strange and mostly baseless attitude a lot of other Texans have about Houston is why so many Houstonians get defensive on here IMO.

You haven't mentioned a budget or what your career is in? That might matter...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Great Plain's in general I guess.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
What didn't make sense?

In my opinion (that's the key phrase here), I've always thought Houston had very high crime. I know several people who lived or currently live there, and that's one of their number one complaints. I also have family there, who says the same thing. Now, granted crime is everywhere and it could be worse other places (Detroit, St. Louis, etc), but if you're comparing it to other cities in Texas, Houston has a higher crime rate (especially violent crime). And yes, I'm aware that the crime rate is decreasing there, and I think that's awesome. I also don't think, compared to other cities in Texas, the schools are as good in Houston.

Just my opinion, by the way.
Houston has a crime rate probably be expected from a city of that size. And much of the crime is concentrated in certain areas of town around large apartment complexes.

Though when you look up statistics, Dallas' crime rate is actually higher.

There are plenty of great schools in Houston. Depending on their budget, some even in the city and HISD.

I just think it's foolish to tell anyone to eliminate a whole city based on perceptions like that. So I was kind of surprised. Just seems to me like other Texans sure do have some strange perceptions of Houston (I'm not a native Texan myself). Maybe there were problems a few decades ago. But these days, I think the state should be proud of its largest city (and all it has to offer which is unique to the state) instead of bad-mouthing it.

Sorry to get a bit off-topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.