Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I am sick of everybody badmouthing the south. I love it down here and I am from one of the most liberal places on earth ( Sweden ). But here in the south I really feel good. I love the weather, I love that people are not fake and not in such a damn hurry all the time. I think southerners should be proud of were they come from and fly the stars and bars to show it!
And get this....I am pro choice , non religious and I don't love guns.!!I just happened to love the southern culture for what it is!
We are proud; thanks for the props.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
And I'm sick of everybody badmouthing the North. So? Will not change anything, and we will always have people who run their mouths with either no clue or a hate for any area they are not in. Doesn't change the fact the we live where we do because that is where we feel most accepted and comfortable. For you it is the South, for me it is the North. I let the whole "North has no culture, North isn't fit for habitation. North is ...." just roll off and ignore them. Same could be said for the South. Most I have seen who really knock the South have never spent real time down there. Same for those who hate the North.

I 100% agree

Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
like the gangsters and 3-6 Mafia? seriously though, isn't memphis dangerous? seems like a lot of thugs based off reality shows like "The First 48."

Memphis and "The First 48"
Yeah, on the North and the South side. But most of Midtown, East Memphis, and Downtown is fine. That's a pretty large area, and it's where all the cultural attractions are. There are some amazing neighborhoods in the city limits. Some of the largest houses I've ever seen are in Memphis. I was suprised myself.

Even the "bad areas" have their charm. I just felt like exploring one day, so I went to one of the worst neighborhoods in Memphis, Orange Mound. I found the people to be really nice. It wasn't scary. I even bought a snow cone from a kid selling them in his front yard.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
like the gangsters and 3-6 Mafia? seriously though, isn't memphis dangerous? seems like a lot of thugs based off reality shows like "The First 48."

Memphis and "The First 48"

Yes , Memphis is a dangerous city, one of the worst in the US in crimes. But thats some parts of Memphis not everywhere. I know not to hang out certain areas, just like anybody knows what part of their city is a no no.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Even the "bad areas" have their charm. I just felt like exploring one day, so I went to one of the worst neighborhoods in Memphis, Orange Mound. I found the people to be really nice. It wasn't scary. I even bought a snow cone from a kid selling them in his front yard.
Interesting, thanks for sharing redwine and others. My only question is, was the snowcone yellow?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
^ Lol no, but it didn't taste very good. I just bought it to be nice.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
You live in Michigan though, why wouldn't someone badmouth that state? It's like living in Jersey. Michigan's economy is horrible so expect people to think of that first when you say that you are from the beautiful state of Michigan. It really is. It's a very unique state that has beautiful landscapes. Too bad there is failed leadership all over that state which has led to the current economic doldrums Michigan is currently experiencing and has been experiencing for decades.
You see, prime example right here. Both Michigan and NJ have horrible reputations that are almost exactly the same to those outside of these states. Mention either place to those who don't really know the states and all the first thing that pops into their minds are industrialized wastelands with nothing to offer, poor leadership, insular thinking, etc.... While that IS a true assumption for a small portion of each state, it is far from the truth for the entire state.

Now to assume that I have been here the entire time and this is the state I was referring to, would be making a false assumption. I spent MANY years in Maine, almost my entire adult life. I have traveled and spent a fair amount of time in MOST states in the US. I was speaking in generalities and NOT of a specific state, but of the entire "North" portion of the Country.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
You sound a lot like me, redwine. Pro-choice, non-religious, don't love guns, but like the South and Southern culture.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I am sick of everybody badmouthing the south. I love it down here and I am from one of the most liberal places on earth ( Sweden ). But here in the south I really feel good. I love the weather, I love that people are not fake and not in such a damn hurry all the time. I think southerners should be proud of were they come from and fly the stars and bars to show it!
And get this....I am pro choice , non religious and I don't love guns.!!I just happened to love the southern culture for what it is!
Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You sound a lot like me, redwine. Pro-choice, non-religious, don't love guns, but like the South and Southern culture.
Dude, you're like 15 and never left Mass - how do you know what you like? LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Here:

Dude, you're like 15 and never left Mass - how do you know what you like? LOL
I am 17 and have been to 26 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.