Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times

Advertisements

No way! I hate the heat and humidity! The summers here in NE Ohio are hot enough for me.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Keep in mind that the people who move to FL have a large personal bias. They made the move; they're probably either second-guessing it or they're congratulating themselves. For most people weather is just one factor out of many for a move; I certainly never plan on moving to Florida. If I did it would be because of a job or because I liked some other aspect of the place, not strictly a weather thing. Still, I'm sure there are days when it's really cold out when many people think longingly of warmer weather (just like when it's really hot and humid I miss the snow!). That doesn't mean they have any interest in a permanent move. Some do, some don't.

I doubt most people won't visit their friends because they're jealous. Maybe it's because they don't want to go on a vacation and be told the whole time how they should be feeling jealous.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:12 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Maybe I'm the oddball out, but I AM jealous of people who live in Florida. Low cost of living, beautiful weather, the ocean...All of which Northern Virginia, where I currently live, is lacking.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I am moving down there shortly

Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Maybe I've even more of an oddball b/c while I may not be "jealous" of Floridians I want to check out living there b/c I think San Diego is a bit too chilly now. People roll their eyes at me when I say SD is too chilly but I've gotten used to it and want some warm, humid, tropical weather and HI is too isolated.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I'll stay in California, thank you. I did a brief stint (6 months) outside of Tampa and I'm just not a huge fan of Florida. Where I live, we have 2 season.... spring and fall I got rid of the ones I don't like and kept the ones I do!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,816 times
I Think California yes...Florida no

Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I love Orlando but would never live there as I like the change of seaons in Colorado.....

Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
I've lived in FL & enjoyed it. I'm only two hours away from it now where I currently live. It's a LOT easier to cool off than it is to warm up. Give me that hot sun anyday!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM

12,837 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
It's a LOT easier to cool off than it is to warm up. Give me that hot sun anyday!
Sure. If you are hot, jumping into a cool pool or air conditioning will cool you off immediately while if you're cold, stepping into the heat will heat you up, but it takes a minute or two to get rid of some of the chills (though a hot tub is instant- just not always handy). That being said, the difference (to me, anyway) is almost immaterial.

The kicker for me is that it's easier to STAY warm than it is to STAY cool. When it's 95 degrees, humid, and bright and sunny, you can only take off so many layers of clothes. If you plan on being outside, you can be wearing the legally minimal amount of clothing and still be sweating bullets (you'll need to be inside shortly). Once you hit that certain temperature (90+ degrees which is common throughout the summer months in FL), you're going to roast unless your indoors and air-conditioned which REALLY limits your activity level.

The cold can limit your activity level, but not to the degree the extreme heat does. When it's between 20-30 degrees, appropriate, comfortable outerwear can make it so you can stay outside all day if you want (and if you don't make it all day, the climate controlled indoors are waiting for you). It's easy to layer up clothing to stay warm while it's cold. Sure, here in New England, there are bitter cold days where it's 0 degrees or 10 degrees, but those are few and far between (here in Maine I can count about 3 or 4 this winter). Even still, appropriate clothing will keep you warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for extended periods even in the extreme cold.

In the end, it's much easier (and healthier... air quality is worse in high heat and humidity) to enjoy the outdoors when it's cold. No matter what you do in the extreme heat, you need to either constantly have cold water on you or places to get out of the sun in order to function for an extended period of time. In the cold, appropriate clothing is all you need. If temperatures range (like they do up here) during the day, layers solve the problem. I find it MUCH easier to stay warm in the cold of the North than I find it to stay cool in the South.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sure. If you are hot, jumping into a cool pool or air conditioning will cool you off immediately while if you're cold, stepping into the heat will heat you up, but it takes a minute or two to get rid of some of the chills (though a hot tub is instant- just not always handy). That being said, the difference (to me, anyway) is almost immaterial.

The kicker for me is that it's easier to STAY warm than it is to STAY cool. When it's 95 degrees, humid, and bright and sunny, you can only take off so many layers of clothes. If you plan on being outside, you can be wearing the legally minimal amount of clothing and still be sweating bullets (you'll need to be inside shortly). Once you hit that certain temperature (90+ degrees which is common throughout the summer months in FL), you're going to roast unless your indoors and air-conditioned which REALLY limits your activity level.

The cold can limit your activity level, but not to the degree the extreme heat does. When it's between 20-30 degrees, appropriate, comfortable outerwear can make it so you can stay outside all day if you want (and if you don't make it all day, the climate controlled indoors are waiting for you). It's easy to layer up clothing to stay warm while it's cold. Sure, here in New England, there are bitter cold days where it's 0 degrees or 10 degrees, but those are few and far between (here in Maine I can count about 3 or 4 this winter). Even still, appropriate clothing will keep you warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for extended periods even in the extreme cold.

In the end, it's much easier (and healthier... air quality is worse in high heat and humidity) to enjoy the outdoors when it's cold. No matter what you do in the extreme heat, you need to either constantly have cold water on you or places to get out of the sun in order to function for an extended period of time. In the cold, appropriate clothing is all you need. If temperatures range (like they do up here) during the day, layers solve the problem. I find it MUCH easier to stay warm in the cold of the North than I find it to stay cool in the South.
This is not true for everyone. Some people handle heat better than others. I find it much easier to be outside in the heat than the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.