U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 PM

240 posts, read 1,333,868 times

Advertisements

California is warm but you have to be very careful where you send your daughter to public high school here because the quaility of her education will depend a lot on which school district the hosting family lives in. Once you find out which school district the hosting family lives in, try to find out how well that school district is rated before you make a decision. La Canada and Malibu are good school districts here in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM

16 posts, read 18,686 times
And where do you think in general in a better education (states, cities)???
And also what about schools in Newport, how is education there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
California is warm but you have to be very careful where you send your daughter to public high school here because the quaility of her education will depend a lot on which school district the hosting family lives in. Once you find out which school district the hosting family lives in, try to find out how well that school district is rated before you make a decision. La Canada and Malibu are good school districts here in LA.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,819,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxo View Post
Hello to everyone!
I'm personally from Europe and wanted to send my daughter next year to USA to finish her school studying. Well, I actually, was thinking about California (I already wrote about it on their forum), but still am not sure about that? How do you think, what state or town it would be better to send her?
Thank you for your answers.
Omaha, Ne has a great school school system and post-secondary school system, one of the best if not the best in the nation for testing scores is the Elkhorn public schools, for a University setting Creighton University has scored in the top 10 in the nation year in and out..

Omaha has low crime, low cost of living, above average pay, a very good quality of life, and has lots of things to do, the city has four seasons so there are seasonal variety of things to do, and Omaha has about 850,000 in the metropolitan area and 1.14 million in what's called the flatwater metroplex which include lincoln..

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Thank you, that's very interesting. I'll probably think about this idea also.
For me, it's just a little bit hart to judge about you education system, coz' our is quit different. I hear that student in your schools was such opportunity to choose subjects to learn (if I have a righ information English and Math are obligate, plus 4 more you can choose). In ours, it's about 12 obligate subject to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Omaha, Ne has a great school school system and post-secondary school system, one of the best if not the best in the nation for testing scores is the Elkhorn public schools, for a University setting Creighton University has scored in the top 10 in the nation year in and out..

Omaha has low crime, low cost of living, above average pay, a very good quality of life, and has lots of things to do, the city has four seasons so there are seasonal variety of things to do, and Omaha has about 850,000 in the metropolitan area and 1.14 million in what's called the flatwater metroplex which include lincoln..

Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Actually, one of the most things I'm worred is that I wouldn't like her to come in a place were lots of spanish-talking people live, because she'll go to America to improove her english skills!
And of course it's all about safety! Is S.Caroina and Florida safe? And Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
South Carolina and Florida will have more in common with each other because they are in the same general US region. California is on the other coast so naturally it will be different in a lot of ways.

Florida is hot and muggy in the summer (as is South Carolina). Very humid! But the beaches are very nice and the flowers and palm trees very nice, lots of exotic wildlife. Florida is filled with people from all over the country so it is more diverse (many people have moved there or retired there because it is a vacation destination). Your daughter would be less out of place on the coasts in the southeast like florida/south carolina/north carolina because people from all over move to those places. The inland south can be very isolated....not very diverse and not neccessarily warm either (like your daughter wants). South Carolina and North Carolina get chilly or cold in the winter but at least there are nice beaches nearby and mountains (small mountains, but still mountains).

California is almost a country in itself. There are places in California that have all four seasons. Basically, California is also a place where many different people live and most people are from another place originally (in the US or even another country). Suburban and rural areas tend to be less diverse but still more accepting of outsiders than other places might be in the US. California is beautiful...always near an ocean beach or mountains. But you would probably want to avoid Los Angeles. There are nice places in Los Angeles I just would not recommend a 12th grader from another country have to deal with urban issues and finding her way around there. Maybe some of the beach communities near Los Angles would be better...suburban areas with better schools. Northern California is rather different from southern california and would be a great experience for her I think....but she may not want to come home Many people on these forums speak negativley of california because of the cost of living. It is an expensive place to live...but a great place to visit. If you avoid inner cities it is generally a safe place to visit too....just the same as all the other states....and its also warm most of the time.

Texas might also be a fun experience....

Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,304,853 times
dont worry about spanish.

all schools will be taught in english and unless she ends up in a school that is unusually influenced by hispanic/mexican/puerto rican administrators I just dont think its a concern you should have. the students that are here that dont speak language have to learn english at school too. I do not know of any schools that are not taught in english or any school where english is not the major language spoken. taxpayers would be in an uproar over that ...not to say things like that cant happen or dont happen.

anyway....omaha...nice, but again...cost of living does not matter. your daughter is here to go to school...not buy a home! I dont think she wants four seasons she wants warm! And omaha is kinda boring geographically speaking.

Texas, Florida, South Carolina are all fine. Just avoid urban areas and do research into the better areas.

Naples, Fl would be nice....

Big cities have the worst crime problems (houston, miami, even...myrtle beach in south carolina has a lot of crime)

this is why I suggest a suburban or rural location. Texas is the only place where I would be concerned -- in a rural place -- where a lot of spanish will be spoken.

good luck!! and yes most schools -- math and english and most of the subjects are required but there is usually a few classes called "electives" where the student chooses what they want to take.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:13 AM

You helped me a lot and i'm really appreciated. Know i know that i should worry about and what about not!
About Florida, I don't not, coz' your friends used to live there and moved in CA, because of the frequent floods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
dont worry about spanish.

all schools will be taught in english and unless she ends up in a school that is unusually influenced by hispanic/mexican/puerto rican administrators I just dont think its a concern you should have. the students that are here that dont speak language have to learn english at school too. I do not know of any schools that are not taught in english or any school where english is not the major language spoken. taxpayers would be in an uproar over that ...not to say things like that cant happen or dont happen.

anyway....omaha...nice, but again...cost of living does not matter. your daughter is here to go to school...not buy a home! I dont think she wants four seasons she wants warm! And omaha is kinda boring geographically speaking.

Texas, Florida, South Carolina are all fine. Just avoid urban areas and do research into the better areas.

Naples, Fl would be nice....

Big cities have the worst crime problems (houston, miami, even...myrtle beach in south carolina has a lot of crime)

this is why I suggest a suburban or rural location. Texas is the only place where I would be concerned -- in a rural place -- where a lot of spanish will be spoken.

good luck!! and yes most schools -- math and english and most of the subjects are required but there is usually a few classes called "electives" where the student chooses what they want to take.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,162,012 times
This is an interesting thread.

I agree that you should avoid Southern California and Los Angeles. However, the San Francisco Bay Area is beautiful but I'd be concerned about the quality of the high schools. California is one of the nation's most picturesque states, but I question whether it would be the right one for someone who is high-school aged.

North Carolina might be a worthy option. How about Oregon? Oregon is a neat state since it has the Pacific Ocean on one side and mountains on the other.

Florida is also a good option, but I'd suggest avoiding Miami and looking at Tampa Bay, Orlando, or Jacksonville. (Note that Florida has humidity and bugs in addition to excellent beaches.) She might also enjoy Colorado if she likes mountains and hiking.

What kinds of activities does your daughter enjoy? Does she have any climate preferences? Does she have a preference for a particular region of the country?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,304,853 times
I agree -- Oregon would be a good choice!! though it might be a little cloudy if she wants the warm climate!

Hi Bhaalspawn....in one of the earlier posts he said she does want a warm climate. This is an interesting thread isn't it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or