U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,431,043 times
Reputation: 1171

Advertisements

What would you consider to be the advantages of having a large number of these in your city?

How about the disadvantages?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,804,324 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What would you consider to be the advantages of having a large number of these in your city?

How about the disadvantages?
The advantage would probably be a bigger skyline because that's where they tend to build a tall skyscraper to both make a statement, and fill it with their offices and naming rights. If you like s big skylines, you're going to want a lot of these companies in your city!

Disadvantage... Well if you don't like big skylines and traffic congested downtown's, and don't want your city to grow and become major, then I suppose that's a disadvantage on your part.

It all depends on who you are and what you think.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,563,483 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What would you consider to be the advantages of having a large number of these in your city?

How about the disadvantages?
There are many advantages to having Fortune 500/1000 companies located in your city/metro area. The Minneapolis - St. Paul area is home to 31 Fortune 1000 companies (18 Fortune 500) and several large private companies, including Cargill. Having these companies based in your city/metro area will attract people that would otherwise move elsewhere and they help in attaining an area's population. Minneapolis-St. Paul would not have 3.5 million people if it weren't for all the companies based here nor would there be all the amenities (i.e. pro sports, arts, tranit, major airport, shopping, etc...) if it weren't for those companies.

There are obviously disadvantages to having Fortune 1000 companies based in your area. Losing them to relocation or mergers can devastate local economies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,563,483 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
The advantage would probably be a bigger skyline because that's where they tend to build a tall skyscraper to both make a statement, and fill it with their offices and naming rights. If you like s big skylines, you're going to want a lot of these companies in your city!

Disadvantage... Well if you don't like big skylines and traffic congested downtown's, and don't want your city to grow and become major, then I suppose that's a disadvantage on your part.
Most Fortune 1000 companies build in the suburbs because its cheaper and there is plenty of land. Many will have units located in central cities, but most have their headquarters in the burbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,804,324 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Most Fortune 1000 companies build in the suburbs because its cheaper and there is plenty of land. Many will have units located in central cities, but most have their headquarters in the burbs.
Not all the time! How do you think cities have such tall skyscrapers - one of the main reasons for that is because of a Fortune 500/1000 company coming to a city and building a skyscraper statement structure. This proves well for a variety of American cities at least!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,563,483 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Not all the time! How do you think cities have such tall skyscrapers - one of the main reasons for that is because of a Fortune 500/1000 company coming to a city and building a skyscraper statement structure. This proves well for a variety of American cities at least!
I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but you have to remember that a lot skyscrapers might have 50 plus companies (i.e. law firms, accounting firms, marketing firms, public relations, etc...) renting space. In other words, if there is demand for space in downtown MPLS. or Denver or Seattle, a skyscraper will be built. If a corporation wants to buy the naming rights and occupy floors 30 - 60, they will. Now days, however, few companies need that "signature" tower. They will have some corporate presense in a tower, but a majority of their workforce will be in the burbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,216,427 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
The advantage would probably be a bigger skyline because that's where they tend to build a tall skyscraper to both make a statement, and fill it with their offices and naming rights. If you like s big skylines, you're going to want a lot of these companies in your city!
Omaha is home to 5 fortune 500 and 4 fortune 1000 companies and not one of them has built a significant highrise downtown. So, it's not always the case unfortunately.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top