U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 AM

669 posts, read 2,945,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I do agree with your rant this does seem to be happening and a big reason home prices are out of control for the average person.
Exactly.

When TN is too expensive in 10 (heck, maybe 5 for the big cities) years, they'll go somewhere like Kentucky. Then that will get too expensive. Then they'll go to, I dunno, Indiana. It just won't end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,282,360 times
There is plenty of work in the lower 48. They are crying for hands in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah etc. Go to Nabors dot com NAH and see if they need any roustabouts or roughnecks. I'm pretty sure he would not last a day above the Arctic Circle!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,118,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Exactly!

Too many people pick places they didn't give a dang about before. For example, why is it that TN, NC, etc used to be fairly unpopular? Because they were regarded as "boring" places to live. They only became "fun" when it was decided they'd be good for the wallet.
No, not "boring" - more like "redneck", "slow", "uneducated"! Makes my blood boil everytime I hear it! One poster on the NC forum wrote "....they're (NC people) such a gentle people....." What's up with that! When I visit my ancestral home in PA, I have had people actually slow their speech when I mentioned I was a North Carolinian........

Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Honestly NAH, you may hate big cities but you have a typical "keeping up with Jones" attitude if you ask me.

First off, do you really need a whole fricking ROOM for workout equipment? Second, HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING TO AFFORD TO BUY THAT?

Guest bathroom? Yes, a lot of people have them, but I don't know that people are going to flock to see you in Oil City.

You need to learn to do without. That's the real way to live inexpensively, no matter where you are.

Can get used weights for a few dollars, could even make my own. Probably a few hundred to fill that room with weights, but spread them out so the floor doesnt creek

Parents and friends will visit me in OC. Maybe you will be happy crammed into a 10x12 bedroom, tiny bathroom and kitchen in your rented apartment. But I want much more than that and OC delivers.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,578 times
I think Need's goal is a more gracious style of living and a larger sized house would afford this -- a sense of tranquility and space.

Workout equipment if you have your own gym could certainly occupy the better part of a room -- a treadmill or bike, weight machines, bar.

In any case, having your own workout equipment will certainly exceed the cost of a gym membership but if you don't enjoy going to the gym and want to work out in the privacy of your own home, you can afford the equipment and space, or simply desire convenience, a home gym is a great option for someone.

I would not confuse affordability with needs. Maybe you can't have a private gym in your situation now and certainly no one absolutely needs one. But if you can it's a nice thing to have and that's all there is to it.

I looked at Oil City and wow you can get a lot of house for the money :-)

Make sure you can make enough money though living there, low crime, and enough jobs. I know you hate heat as i would suggest much finer and happier places in the south with better weather. I thought about Wisconsin or Northern Wisconsin which is pretty but the higher housing prices and high property taxes would make it not worth it. Also extreme winter.

What about the blue ridge mountains in Tennessee, Eastern KY, west virginia? I think those would be fine places with more jobs, prettier scenery, etc than Oil city. 70 here today in Chicago finally

Old 03-25-2007, 12:55 PM

669 posts, read 2,945,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Can get used weights for a few dollars, could even make my own. Probably a few hundred to fill that room with weights, but spread them out so the floor doesnt creek

Parents and friends will visit me in OC. Maybe you will be happy crammed into a 10x12 bedroom, tiny bathroom and kitchen in your rented apartment. But I want much more than that and OC delivers.
If OC delivered, wouldn't it have a population increase instead of loss?

Who said all apartments are tiny? You are generalizing so very badly. Actually, when your piece of crap $10k house in Oil City falls over, you'll be wishing you listened.

I feel bad for you NAH. All the time I yell at you, but now I just realized, you're insane -- in many more ways than I previously thought, and I'm not, so I'm going to stop trying to convince you of anything. You live in your own little world, and I can't change that, but when reality hits you're not gonna like it.

BTW, wallstreet, he won't do TN or KY, because any place with houses over $100k is "ridiculously expensive".

Old 03-25-2007, 03:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times
OC is growing and people are moving there. I need to relocate soon before prices shoot up. large apartments cost too much and besides there are no apartments in towns, just big cities. I will buy as much house in OC that I can afford. Know that I can get a house in good condition starting at $25k or for $15k can get a handyman special and we will just repair it so it dont fall apart

Theres some $50k houses in TN and KY but for the same price I can get a better, bigger, nicer house in Oil City and the crime there is also lower

Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 PM

199 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
I am gonna have a gym room so I can work out in the comfort of my home. Not sure if there even is a gym in Oil City. Need a guest bedroom when my parents/friends visit. I am looking at minimum 3 bedrooms, prefer 4 or 5 and I prefer at least two full bathrooms, one is just mine, the other is for friends/family when they visit.
Hmmm. Different strokes, I guess. I live in California and my husband and 7 of my kids and I rent a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house with a big yard in a little town because it is what we can afford. We do intend to move so we can afford to buy, but right now we have to do what we have to do. And you know what? I'm happy here. Yes, I'd like things to be different and less crowded, but I'm happy enough to make it through each day. My friends and relatives who visit get to crash on the living room couch or rent a hotel room.

Personally, I think you are falling in to the trap that many young people fall into and that is wanting the lifestyle you are living with your parents right away when you leave home without realizing that your parents probably worked for many years to rise to that standard of living that you are now enjoying. You are going to have to start out from the bottom just like everyone else. Or you will end up like me and still be renting in your 40s.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM

199 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
I say we get NAH a Job on an oil rig or a crew boat. Pay is $200.00-$500.00 per day...
I don't think there's enough room in the bunks for his collections.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times
Quote:
OC is growing and people are moving there. I need to relocate soon before prices shoot up. large apartments cost too much and besides there are no apartments in towns, just big cities. I will buy as much house in OC that I can afford. Know that I can get a house in good condition starting at $25k or for $15k can get a handyman special and we will just repair it so it dont fall apart

Theres some $50k houses in TN and KY but for the same price I can get a better, bigger, nicer house in Oil City and the crime there is also lower
besides there are no apartments in towns, just big cities

Psst there are apartments in Oil City. A rather new looking large complex up by that church on the top of the hill. I just did not photograph it. You have to do better homework.

I am sure there are other apartments, there are two major town sections I didn't even visit. You may need to rent for a bit. New kids just off the bus need to understand a lot of things. Including how to get the lay of the land. Plus learning her name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or