U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Exactly.

When TN is too expensive in 10 (heck, maybe 5 for the big cities) years, they'll go somewhere like Kentucky. Then that will get too expensive. Then they'll go to, I dunno, Indiana. It just won't end...
Get used to it. NYC is continuing to spread northward and westward away from the coast and is gobbling up more real estate than Donald Trump! Now, I'm hearing people refer to the "Tri-State Area" (NY, NJ, CT) as being the "Quad-State Area" (to include the growth in PA). I've been watching in horror as NYC's outermost suburbs have been edging ominously closer to Scranton's city line. Now, the community of Tobyhanna, only a half-hour south of Scranton via I-380, is the outermost exurb of NYC. However, I've now also been fielding inquiries about the North Pocono School District, which serves as the "buffer zone" between Scranton and the NYC exurbs of Monroe County. Lackawanna County, home to Scranton, just showed its first year of population growth in many decades, and this trend is expected to continue as more NYC-area transplants flood in because Scranton has low crime, urban amenities, and is "dirt cheap" in comparison and is "only" a 2 hr. 15-min. commute each way to Manhattan (perhaps "only" two hours once the new commuter rail comes our way).

Even ten years ago the prospect of having people commuting from Lackawanna County to NJ/NYC for work was laughable. Now, it's becoming a reality as more and more people move to our area of Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Poconos seeking "cheap housing." I'm worried that by the time I'm out of college and looking to purchase my first home, I'll be "priced out" of the Scranton housing market and will have to commute four hours each way from WILLIAMSPORT to Manhattan for work in order to afford a home! New housing units coming to downtown are starting at $330,000, and I've been noticing more Lexuses and Beemers popping up on our local roadways as of late. In just another decade, it will be hard to tell where Scranton's southeastern suburbs end and where NYC's northwestern suburbs begin!

In due time, the entire stretch between NYC and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre will be one ugly mess of urban sprawl, and I'll likely be alive to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM

91 posts, read 377,886 times
I will admit... I want to move something fierce...
Reasons:
Location... I live in a very small town in AK... it has all of about 300 people in it and one little grocery store. There is a bar a PO and a few little resturants in town with gas stations...Oh yes and the Military base... Ft. Greely.

Believe me I want nothing more then to move... the closest shopping is 100 miles away.

But this isnt just about me... My kids are stuck at home most all of the time and I homeschool which makes things even harder for them.. We have been here for all of about 6.5 months now and they have no friends to really speak of. There are other kids in town .. but there is also a lot of drug problems in town.. due to the lack of stuff to do ..That is what I am told anyway.

I do love AK very much... I just dont think that this is working out for my kids. They are only young once and cant get that back again. They should have the right to get out and make friends and do things with others... I dont know I suppose that if they tried hard enough they could possiably find that here.

I think there would be more to offer my family though if it were in a location that had more there.
I would love to pick out the cheapest area for my family to transfer to,but that isnt really an option for us. We can choose CA or WA.. or Arizona.. We dont really care for the AZ area as we have been through that area and though it would be much cheaper then CA would be by far..it is HOT and nothing but BUSY there ... As far as CA and WA they are both the same relitively in cost ... Yes CA is a bit more.. when buying, but not by much from what I can tell.
I dont know. There is always more to the reasons for some people in the choice of location.. It isnt always what you might think it is.
I do appreciate your insight and input however. I have to say I was stuned that you bmurphy are a young n' . I think that it is great that you are so well informed this early..

Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 AM

629 posts, read 2,576,357 times
Quote:
I can tell you a funny story about something in Putnam, CT. But we probably will never be able to get into those type details. More excitement factors there. The Gods don't even like to explore the various signage around the area.
What's the Putnam CT story?

I don't know if "those type details" are too seedy for the average bear, but share if you can.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
Yeah, I'm very familiar with Putnam. Would love to know.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM

The kids used to call it Put-scum.

Antique stores and bakery - Good

Battey St. - Bad

Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 AM

32,406 posts, read 59,910,649 times
Quote:
Makes all the right moves something like that to get a feel for Oil City. It takes place in a depressed coal mining town in Pennsylvania
That was Johnstown, which is a depressed steel mill town. I'm just sayin'.

I'm lovin' all this Oil City love. Why Oil City and not Titusville? Or Tionesta?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,638,144 times
Default The Putnam story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
What's the Putnam CT story?

I don't know if "those type details" are too seedy for the average bear, but share if you can.
The details are more funny than seedy.

I was working doing some work for one of the local mills, some of it was some high tech automation type stuff. We needed this part. Getting stuff in Putnam was always iffy. I lived in Boston and commuted down for a good period.

So the question was can we get this in town. One of the managers said go try this place and gave some directions. So I go to where I think the directions should be. Turns out to be a sort of abandoned looking store front, the front door is open. Only a chair and a small table in a big room. Still nobody inside but I can hear voices toward the back. I go thru another door that has a very high security looking lock on it but the door is not competely closed. Real drab, dingy looking place.

I open this second door and go in.

Boom, as I open this door, the place is huge, one big room, with some cubies and lots of high tech stacks of equipment. There are nerdy looking peeps, everybody is wearing a security badge tag with their pix on it. Duh, sort of almost like out of a James Bond movie. Very clean, very modern.

So I go over to one of the lil cubies to ask about the part. Full of nerdy peeps at computers who are clearly programmers. I ask, and they sort of give replies is this for the ___________ project. I say no, just need the part. Start to wonder around a bit, ask some the tech looking ones working on some gear. I can hear shouts, finally a couple big dudes coming running up, grab me and hussle me out into the storefront. They are not happy campers, we go thru the standard drill, what are you doing here?? So get no part, am forced to leave, no doubt in my mind what I saw.

You could just tell from comments, that front drab section was to have had a guard, the security door locked, very controlled entrance, I stumbled into I never should have gotten a sniff. Heads were going to roll.

Clearly after the fact, in talking with the peeps back at the mill, I had gone to the wrong place, went with one of them to the place I was supposed to have gone, and yup ....... No part. I did not tell them what I had done.

That stuff is supposed to be down in bunkers somewhere.

And who would have thunk in lil Putnam, CT.

A few years go by. I meet this nice girl in Boston. After I have known her a while, it turns out she is from Putnam, CT. She is totally thrilled I know the place exists. I sort of ask about the storefront place I found and if that sort of thing should be in Putnam. She says no such thing exists. I am really afraid to tell her any details and let the word get back to the locals. You can find love in Putnam or at least from Putnam.

So, does a bunker exist anywhere in Oil City? Maybe under that big tank up on the hill??? Can you find love in Oil City??? Does NAH really know what he is getting into???

I bet that place is perfect for something. Is NAH in any danger?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Whoa.

Big Hmmmmmm...on that one.

You know what's odd(er). A couple of months ago I read a story with the same scenario, only the journalist was in downtown Knoxville.

Nothing is as it seems - not even Put-scum.

This makes me want to take a nap.

Mucho, mucho gracias for taking the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or