Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 AM

669 posts, read 3,184,553 times

Advertisements

It's going to sound mean and like I'm yelling at people - but this is how I feel.

I'm getting REALLY sick of reading "Why do you love x city?"

"It's so cheap to live here! Our dollar goes so much further!"

You know what? They probably didn't give a rat's behind about the city or state until they realized it was cheap and they could live cheap there.

Then everyone does it, prices go up, so they pick the next increasingly remote and silly locale.

For example, Florida. Used to be affordable, but now it's not, and people pulled Tennessee out of a hat and decided to move there. NOTHING against the state - this is an example. "Oh, it's so cheap in TN! Let's move there even though we know NOTHING about it, and just want low prices!" Well duh, the high prices are going to follow...

I don't understand why people move to "in demand" areas for cheap prices unless they truly know and love the area. It would make more sense to move somewhere you truly desire, instead of small town TN just because your buck stretches further.

Rant done. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:11 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,888,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
It would make more sense to move somewhere you truly desire, instead of small town TN just because your buck stretches further.
I happen to agree with you.
Location, location, location.
You *usually* get what you pay for (though these days, Florida's situation is fairly wacky).
A lot of people dream of owning their own home. In choosing a cheaper locale,they might consider themselves to be broadening their horizons rather than settling for less.
When it comes to that herd mentality, I guess these days, with the internet and media, word of mouth is a zillion times faster than it used to be. It's sort of bittersweet the way one group of people will be streaming in to the latest trendy location, while another group of people picks up and leaves. Colorado is very popular right now: I noticed the crowdedness before we left.
edited to add:
Our heart's desire can change, and that's okay. It is good to pursue a dream, but modifying that dream, especially for reasons of practicality, is not necessarily compromising yourself.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 03-24-2007 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Exactly!

Too many people pick places they didn't give a dang about before. For example, why is it that TN, NC, etc used to be fairly unpopular? Because they were regarded as "boring" places to live. They only became "fun" when it was decided they'd be good for the wallet.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
I'll take that rant and raise you one. Read a post from a couple whose credit is so bad that they are worried that they won't find a good place to rent when they move to Florida. The poster goes on to say that they want to build a home beginning next winter. This poster is a future griper in the making. If they move here, I predict that they'll be back on this board next winter complaining about Florida being such a bad place to live, can't earn a living, can't buy a home. Some people are so unrealistic and when things don't work out, it is the state's problems that are making them unhappy, not their own unthought through plans.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,675,079 times
Default Well I don't know............ At least the title is right, just a rant

I think it is far more complicated than that. There is a much bigger story in a lot of those examples.

Florida is a prime case in my mind. Their basic problems are not costs, living prices, etc. The people sort made their own messes. The correction of the basic underlying problems are not going to be easy.

In particular this idea of political control and the peeps themselves allowing Paradise to go sour. About what happened in Florida. Failure to control the Pols via the ballot box. They allowed Paradise to go to Hell through a bunch of influences. The major one is always allowing the Pols to spend like there is no tomorrow and raise taxes to pay for it. Then you get all the corruption that follows, your basic peeps problem. Lots of consequences and spill over but the core problem was basic, loss of control by the average peep to force their so called Public Servant to act only in the best public interest. Greed, money, special interest and all like factors drive a process that has a mind of its own after a while.

The failure to demand rate reductions to offset increasing home prices and keep the out of pocket payment to something like a level amount measured over a longer time frame and demanding the Pols live within budgets. Florida is also an example of the creative budgets, pandering in the worse way and peeps believing there is a free lunch. Horrible case of trying to define citizens by a certain class (resident, non-resident, by age, status, etc) and treating so radically different. Your classic divide - conquer strategy in which the Pols are so good. The state of ME has the disease, MA went to Hell a long time ago and it was all loss of political control by the average peep.

Trying to say NC or TN will be exact duplicates is probably not a for gone conclusion. It depends on how the electrate attempts to exercise control, Ohio might be one of the better examples. The voter still counts. In some SE counties if the Pols get off the reservation one micro-millimeter it can be a career ending move. You can have a great debate what might happen in a state like Ohio if they should experience a huge building boom and population changed. Would the same forces get traction? You wonder how did Florida get it wrong with all the peeps from Ohio down there?

So small rants or even great rants do not address much. It is all about how states are managed at business, political and social levels. And the core belief of the voters and are they willing to make hard choices at the ballot box and do the Pols understand and fear that action? Free markets will still work to give some of the same problem sets but it is not a given that all the results must be bad. There usually is plenty of blame to go around in situations that have gone sour but the prime blame has to go to the registered voters in those states. They had the chance to control their own destiny and didn't.

It can be as simple as buying a box of strawberries. I can get prime berries from Florida for $1.99 in Ohio at the local market, in Florida they cost $4 or more for the same box. My box in Ohio will be a better grade. If you understand that situation, you understand the problem. It is not only political failure, but failure at many levels, including having controlling influence in anything that controls, supplies services or touches their normal daily lives.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
And Cosmic said it well why me and so many others are leaving Florida

Old 03-24-2007, 02:04 PM

But NAH, that would be proving my point.

You're leaving to find cheaper living. Nothing wrong with that but if money were no object you never would have chosen Oil City.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,675,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
But NAH, that would be proving my point.

You're leaving to find cheaper living. Nothing wrong with that but if money were no object you never would have chosen Oil City.
But he ain't left yet, he ain't in Oil City yet. Still buying those $5 strawberries.
Open question if he is ever going to leave. I don't think that new car is on order yet.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
BMurphy: That rant that you had? I have the same one constantly on the Tennessee forum.

We have folks moving in because they don't want to pay higher property taxes and insurance. The dopes move into a hurricane zone and can't figure out why their premiums are so high. Duh!

Now they're making their way to my neck of the woods, whining all the way. Heck, half of them haven't even got here yet (they can't sell their houses) and they are complaining.

"You don't have a Macy's?"

"Why do they allow mobile homes next to my gated community?"

"Why do so many of you drive beat up cars?"

"Why is the pay so bad and how come no one will hire me?"

'Why do you people hunt?"

"How come there are so many Republicans?"

This crew has more money than brains. No kidding.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Exactly.

They don't actually like TN; they just want cheaper prices.

My philosophy? If you can afford it - GO WHERE YOU LIKE! Or the closest possible thing. If you like ocean front Floridian communities, you shouldn't move to small town Tennessee. It would make more sense to pick coastal GA, SC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.