Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:23 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times

Advertisements

Someone recently asked about San Francisco's fog, which made me think of sharing these photos... I took them last week, during my move from Palo Alto to San Francisco. I'm sooo happy to be off the Peninsula, and into the gorgeous & COLD city!! Yes, I'm weird... Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the pics!

Leaving the sunny Peninsula (Burlingame) & heading toward the wall of fog:

Passing the airport; bet they had some serious delays!

Around San Bruno:

Brisbane & entrance to the city:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/img057.jpg (broken link)

Candlestick (Monster) Park to the right:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/img043.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 01:58 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,067,178 times
Thanks for the pictures! Did you have a passenger snap pics while you drove? How was the weather, what temp? Probably comfy for me too and great cuddling weather

Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 PM

378 posts, read 1,202,025 times
Those pictures of the SF fog..... Boy, what memories they brought forth!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,700,159 times
The fog is actually in the heads of anyone who buys rel estate in San Francisco! Seriously though, that must have been a great place to live 50 years ago.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,067,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The fog is actually in the heads of anyone who buys rel estate in San Francisco! Seriously though, that must have been a great place to live 50 years ago.

I dont think SF is a bad place, but I would never pay those house prices. Maybe rent because the rent appears reasonable in comparsion to buying. A $600k home can rent out for $1600 a month, but the same $1600 a month in Florida is a $300k house so SF has very reasonable rent in comparsion to how much more it costs to buy!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's still a great place to live... and I plan to purchase something in the next 2 years. I won't argue that the prices are crazy, but it's worth every penny to live in such a fantastic city! No offense, but you couldn't pay me to live in most other states...

Old 03-24-2007, 02:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,704,339 times
Default Shades to Betsy....... Like going into Bluefield, WV.

I am very familar with the fog in Frisco. I spent a lot of time there over the years. One of the reasons it is my favorite big city, it is still a major World class seaport, lot of stuff the average tourist or even people that live there don't know.

Not only do they get fog but major large ships have to get in and out of a port that is not only beautiful but extremely challenging. The Golden Gate Bridge and that harbor entrance is very difficult for a big ship even in a bright sunny day at slack tide.

The mouth of the entrance is narrow, not all that deep, rip tides, weird changing winds, fog, lots of things to think about and dodge. Large ships try to get in - out at slack tide but that is not always possible, sometimes have to run fast with squat in full effect. Lots of neat stories.

Some of the best are from the container ship drivers. The older ones, the bridge was all the way aft, no fore pilot house, about trying to drive a big school bus from the most rear seat into a crowded Mickey D's parking lot with all the front seats piled high with boxes. Most of the ships go into Oakland but they got to get thru the bay. Container ships run berth service and can not always hang around and wait for ideal conditions, time is money. Just about every type of ship goes in and out of that harbor. Sitting on the dock of the bay, fellow knew what he was talking about. I hear lot of cruise ships in there now.

Loved going down to see the SL-7's when they were in service. Very large fast 30+ knot gas turbine container ships for Sea Land. Would go down to the container port in Oakland to watch them load and unload. Those ships got sold to MSC and the replacement low speed diesels were just as interesting. One big ship and only one giant diesel diesel to drive it. Tall enough to go thru 3 decks, did not go whir, went Ker-Chunk, scavenger blower bigger than a Volkwagen. Watching the RO/RO's unload was a gas. The few C4's were also interesting. I went to school for MSC to learn how to do a load plan for them. Neat to see it actually being done.

Some of the stories, one MSC Captain told of the pilot always told the helm to steer for the bridge pylon on the initial run setup. He only had one helmman he really trusted and that guy was 50'ish and had a bad heart and not all that great eyesight. With everything that influenced the ship, he figured he could not hit the pylon if he tried.

I always stayed out on Treasure Island, that skyline of Oakland-Frisco lit up at night was the greatest light show on Earth. To really appreciate the bay, you had to go up to Mare Island / Vallejo and stand on that bridge on outgoing tide. Only a few feet off the water and the bridge vibrated, the entire huge basin over many square miles drained / flooded on each tide cycle via the Golden Gate. The amount of water and its velocity was very scary. Impressive with nature totally in control and you felt completely puny and helpless. Really something to be experienced.

There is so much more than shown in the average tourist book. Even the locals don't get to experience a lot of it. Another neat way to "Do the Bay" is the training schools for the Merchant Marine have simulator (like the ones for big airplanes) that allow for driving ships anywhere in the World. They can configure for many different types of ships and any harbor anywhere. I've been down to the one on the cape in MA. Gees you can get paid to have fun. If I could start over and have another career would like it to be in the Merchant Marine. They run the simulation of Frisco a lot.

Too bad there is no more break bulk general cargo ships in a tramp fleet any more. NAH might like that type of life. Cuddle theories could get put to a stern test in old Frisco.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:47 PM

240 posts, read 1,283,166 times
Default I left my heart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's still a great place to live... ... I won't argue that the prices are crazy, but it's worth every penny to live in such a fantastic city!
Absolutely, 'gizmo', it's a great place to live.

The prices are 'crazy' because it is such a fabulous place and so many people want to live there. I've lived in a lot of cities and none can compare to the San Francisco Bay Area.

I moved there 35 years ago ... so young and all alone, but the City embraced me in every way. I have nothing but happy and fond memories of living in various parts of the Bay Area for 13 years. My only regret: selling our house and moving south (for work). Wish we'd kept it!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 PM

669 posts, read 3,188,804 times
It looks and seems like a really nice place to live, so naturally it would be expensive.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,376,081 times
Nice! More pics, more pics! I love San Francisco. It has to be the most striking city in North America. The climate is bizarre. I've never seen such a drastic difference in climate in such a confined area as there is within the Bay Area, and even within the city of San Francisco itself (which is quite a small city actually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.