Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 PM

18 posts, read 44,748 times

Advertisements

I'd love some feedback on my situation ...I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler & a preschooler. My husband's job will be relocating us this summer but we aren't sure where. We have to submit our preference for a city and I really have no idea how to get some accurate data to come up with our preference list. Here is what is a priority for us right now...how would you rank these cities and why?

Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Washington, DC
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Phoenix
Newark NJ

Our priorities:
School systems
Cost of living (so I can continue to say home with the kids since we won't have family in any of these areas)
Faith "climate" (we're Christians)
Traffic
Weather (we're not really into extreme hot or cold )

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Based on your criteria, I would suggest Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Houston or Dallas.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Well, you should take your husband's salary into consideration and compare the cost of living in those cities, for starters. Google "cost of living" and quite a few sites will come up.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavailnowhere View Post
I'd love some feedback on my situation ...I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler & a preschooler. My husband's job will be relocating us this summer but we aren't sure where. We have to submit our preference for a city and I really have no idea how to get some accurate data to come up with our preference list. Here is what is a priority for us right now...how would you rank these cities and why?

Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Washington, DC
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Phoenix
Newark NJ

Our priorities:
School systems
Cost of living (so I can continue to say home with the kids since we won't have family in any of these areas)
Faith "climate" (we're Christians)
Traffic
Weather (we're not really into extreme hot or cold )

Thanks in advance!
Houston - Based on your wants, this would rank very high. Negatives would be traffic and summer weather.
Dallas - Similar to Houston, but much more inland (no beach nearby if that matters) and to me, is less laid back than Houston.
Atlanta - Again, similar to Houston. Not sure about the schools though, might have better luck in Houston or Dallas. Might be more expensive than the Texas cities, and has been hit harder by the recession.
Washington, DC - Expensive (how can you make it on one income there?), and have not heard great things about the schools.
Boston - See DC... except the schools are probably better.
Philadelphia - Might be expensive, not sure.
Baltimore - See Philly.
Phoenix - You're going to get the extreme heat here. I'd go with one of the other places.
Newark NJ - Isn't this expensive as well?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I agree with houstoner. Salary needs to be taken into consideration, especially if considering DC, Boston, Philly, or Newark. Those are high cost areas, and could be cost prohibitive if the salary isn't there.

I love Boston, DC, and the NYC area. But the cost is out of hand, traffic is a nightmare to say the least, the faith climate isn't the best, and the climate is extreme.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 44,748 times
Thanks already for feedback! Funny, I had in mind Houston, Dallas, Altanta, and DC ranked as my preferences in that order and after some online research, came across this list of 10 worst cities to raise a family and Dallas and Houston was on there...

You see, we have to rank our preferences but there is no guarantee we will get one of our top choices. So far I'm really just working off of my impressions and some data from the web but so much of what I'm reading is sheer personal preference so I have to consider the source.

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
Cost of living alone pretty much limits it IMO. But of course it depends on what that single income amount is.

Single income, no problem:
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta

Probably can do it:
Phoenix

Forget about it:
Washington, DC
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Newark NJ

Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 PM

20 posts, read 54,318 times
DO NOT choose Newark, NJ.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:58 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Omaha, ne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.