Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
How is it that as southern cities grow with people form outside the region, those areas are regarded as less southern, but as southerners went north/west, those areas haven't been considered less northern/western?
I have wondered that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,563,243 times
Quote:
Yes, from what I've heard Richmond is a very southern city, at least culturally and the way people live. I think part of the reason is Virginia folk - southern or not - are more established than say those in Texas who might have only lived in the area for 150 years, as opposed to 250+ in Virginia.
There are 250-year-old people living in Virginia??

That is AWESOME. The more I learn about the South, the more impressive it sounds. We definitely don't have that in the North.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Sharpest?

Easy.... draw a line across the State of Florida around Gainesville.....
agreed! many parts of Florida have midwestern or northern influences.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'd say the Ohio River at Cincinnati. Separating the very cosmopolitan midwestern city of Cincinnati from the towns in Kentucky across the river.

Another contender would be the Iowa/Missouri state line on the east bank of the Missouri River. Northwestern Missouri, north of St. Joseph, is very, very southern, right up to the Iowa line---probably the most southern part of Missouri.
Are you kidding me? The Iowa/Missouri state line? Not even close. Northwestern Missouri north of St. Joseph is midwestern to the core. All of the Northern half of Missouri is unquestionably Midwestern. St. Louis and Kansas City are solidly Midwestern. The North-South divide to me is sharpest below Joplin and Springfield in Missouri, basically right around the latitude of where the Ohio flows into the Mississippi.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting...some older Kansas people have an accent that sounds southern to me too.
Not to me. It sounds more like a Southern Midwest accent to me. Very different from Kentucky and Virginia at least to my trained ear.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

805 posts, read 2,149,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You could almost say that the larger metro areas in the south, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Nashville, Dallas, Houston have become less southern so that you would have a stutter step all across the region.

How is it that as southern cities grow with people form outside the region, those areas are regarded as less southern, but as southerners went north/west, those areas haven't been considered less northern/western?
good question.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM

40 posts, read 113,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Not to me. It sounds more like a Southern Midwest accent to me. Very different from Kentucky and Virginia at least to my trained ear.
I've heard numerous references to the 'southern Midwest' accent. Are there any famous people who speak with this accent? 'cause I'm curious to hear what it sounds like now...

Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
I've heard numerous references to the 'southern Midwest' accent. Are there any famous people who speak with this accent? 'cause I'm curious to hear what it sounds like now...
Not sure about famous people, but you will definitely hear it in Missouri and at least 3/4 of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. It's basically a Midwestern accent with a Southern twang is how I would describe it. It's called a Midland accent, which is bounded on the south by the Ohio River and something like the southernmost quarter of Missouri. You will hear it in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Kansas City. Much of the Ozarks in Missouri exhibit this accent too. Numerous dialect maps confirm this. I guess if you wanted one example, you could try Mike Shannon, a famous KMOX announcer for St. Louis. John Goodman might be someone else. However, there are many perfectly Iowa-flat accents found in this region too. The Upper Midwest usually features the "Great Lakes accent", but in places that don't touch the lakes such as Iowa and Nebraska, accents are usually perfectly flat, though there is a slight Midwest nasal twang.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
You must be talking about the south "midland" dialect, which would run concurrent with the Ohio River.

Now that you mention it, I've come across something interesting concerning accents in this part of the country. I've noticed that the dialects in the Upper Midwest seem to be less reliant on location but rather on social class. Many poorer whites who never left for the suburbs of the industrial cities of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan have maintained what could be described as a slightly Southern-sounding accent through the years. This is probably due to their proximity to the Blacks who maintained their accents and their relatives who migrated north from southern states in search for work.

In relative terms, this is by far the most accurate depiction of regional dialects I've seen:

Last edited by Colts; 03-26-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,108,413 times
That map is ridiculously outdated and inaccurate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.