U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times

Advertisements

Needless to say I don't associate with them either. All kinds of people talk to me for some unknown reason, tip their hats. I can't figure it out.

I'd hug ya, but I don't know you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM

53 posts, read 295,485 times
In my experience, I have found that the people tend to match the climate - particularly as it relates to warm and cold. I do find mid-westerners to be the most judgmental, overall.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
In my experience, I have found that the people tend to match the climate - particularly as it relates to warm and cold. I do find mid-westerners to be the most judgmental, overall.
I agree, but be careful saying that on any midwestern city or state forum. It has gotten me into trouble.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,798,681 times
Temperate climates do have more intelligent people, and a better work ethic. Most of the great cities developed in such climates. While ancient civilizations like Egypt and Greece and Rome developed in warm or warm-temperate climates, the modern industrial revolution came from places with winters. Only air conditioning brought civilization south.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Temperate climates do have more intelligent people, and a better work ethic. Most of the great cities developed in such climates. While ancient civilizations like Egypt and Greece and Rome developed in warm or warm-temperate climates, the modern industrial revolution came from places with winters. Only air conditioning brought civilization south.
What good is "civilization" when people are uptight and quiet, even among many of the people they know?

More than half the people in the Toronto area have a cold and dull personality that matches our normal November weather.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What good is "civilization" when people are uptight and quiet, even among many of the people they know?

More than half the people in the Toronto area have a cold and dull personality that matches our normal November weather.
I could say the same about 1/2 the folks I meet in warm climes like Florida, SoCal and AZ. Its NOT just Toronto or cold weather that makes people grumpy.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,299,643 times
just an observation of mine, that I am glad someone else observed...

I lived in california for awhile (which I loved) but I also got frustrated because people don't seem to take to my direct way of speaking very well. And its funny, because in Chicago...I'm the quiet, agreeable one.....out west, I come across as opinionated and very frank. I found that very annoying that people never wanted to speak their mind.

but anyway...I loved it there in general.

I dont know about cool climates having better people...especially since most people in warmer climates came from cooler climates originally. Why put people in a group? people are not lazy because they move away from a cool climate......it doesn't make them bad people.

I do agree though, that unusually cold and stormy weather deters criminal activities. But, most winters are not that bad for that long.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,392,649 times
Strange - I was just pondering this idea too...I work with some Canadians (Canadian based company) and I was wondering how they can be so laid back/mellow if it's so freakin cold up there! And I was thinking that it seems like people from the real frozen places are that way...(AK, MN, ME etc)
But then I thought of Norway & the whole Black Metal thing - I always thought they were nuts cause of the cold! So maybe it's a North American thing to be mellow in frozen climates...

Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,888,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The North will rise again! Give me a hug.
You Bet ! EH !

Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I could say the same about 1/2 the folks I meet in warm climes like Florida, SoCal and AZ. Its NOT just Toronto or cold weather that makes people grumpy.
Well for like 95% of the total area population, people are AFRAID to talk to strangers. As if it's dangerous, that they could mug you or kill you, but if you don't open your mouth they probably won't see you. Often it is not fear for their lives, but there's fear there none the less for people they've never seen before.

I grew up like every other kid, but around age 8, my peers started adopting this stange Toronto/southern Ontario(?) culture. I was repeatedly made fun of for attempting conversations with someone I didn't know or if I was saying something to a group of acquaintances (so-called friends) I'd often get "Who are you talking to?"

Seriously, asking someone for directions or the time is like the only time you can usually get permission to speak with a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or