U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
this thread is nothing more than a bunch of people from the north stroking themselves and each other.

It just so happens that when it comes to economic productivity 3 of the top 5 states are warm weather states(California, Texas, Florida).

As for crime I know for a fact that San Diego, Honolulu, Anaheim, and Plano, TX are some of the safest cities in the USA.

I think the reason why people in the north work so hard is cause there isn't anything else to do when the weather sucks LOL
And , we can say the same thing about you and your" perfect lifestyle" Everyone is happy right ? You have little crime ? , not the numbers I have seen,besides , we see all the violence on your TV shows you send us. Calif. is worse, except they have earthquakes ( LA is called shakeytown for a reason ) and you out in the middle of the pacific may be covered up by volcano's that are about to blow! Thats how those islands were formed, nature is just taking it all back, its natural...... Economic productivity Florida? . Again I do not see it. very few MFG plants ,and the ones that have survived along with the housing market. are questionable.Boom and Bust , the way Florida has always been..... I will give you Texas, yes it has prospered due to oil and gas industries. The heat and humidity in Houston is the worst I have ever seen, along with traffic, crime, not some place I would want to live..... No need to debate, I was just bringing to everyone's attention the fact that no place is perfect no are those dirty,crime ridden, congested places you like so much. Everyone has there place. I would not want everyone to come here, especially those who are negative about everything,except the place they are from or are living now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:08 PM

34,693 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have been to all 50 States and many cities and towns all over America. I have a major observation. -------------In most cases places with mild climates (and full of people who have relocated have more troubled and lazy people. Places with terrible climates have better people.

I think places like Arizona, Nevada, California and Florida are for people who are escaping something. They got in a fight with their family and are escaping their terrible life and situation back in Smalltown MI. You get alot of losers and drifters in these warm weather places.

Of course this is a generalization but I think it is true much of the time.

I find the best people to be in areas like Buffalo, Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, and Tulsa. Places that are not glamorous places but are family orientated.
By going to California, they aren't escaping high property taxes. Arizona, Florida and Nevada draw a lot of retirees.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Quote:
this thread is nothing more than a bunch of people from the north stroking themselves and each other.

It just so happens that when it comes to economic productivity 3 of the top 5 states are warm weather states(California, Texas, Florida).

As for crime I know for a fact that San Diego, Honolulu, Anaheim, and Plano, TX are some of the safest cities in the USA.

I think the reason why people in the north work so hard is cause there isn't anything else to do when the weather sucks LOL
Also notice that those states are #1, 2, and 4 by population.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM

443 posts, read 473,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also notice that those states are #1, 2, and 4 by population.
A southerner typically isn't the one for doing a full analysis of subjects.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM

7,600 posts, read 9,457,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not exactly,

the woodchipper scene was in fact based on a true story...

Helle Crafts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the kidnapping had elements that paralleled two well-known (at the time) Minnesota kidnapping cases, one involving a 1962 case involving St Paul attorney Eugene Thompson and 1972 case involving the kidnapping and 1 million-dollar ransom paid for Virginia Piper the wife of an Orono banker.

Fargo (1996) - Trivia - IMDb

I'm also pretty sure I once bought a car from Jerry Lundegaard and did in fact agree to the undercoating that he recommended. In fact, most of the other characters can be seen during any visit to a local Red Owl store all standing behind one another in the check-out line.

But did you call Jerry a "bald-faced liar"?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 4,720,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
A southerner typically isn't the one for doing a full analysis of subjects.
LOL, the quoted post was by someone who lives in Hawaii. Perhaps you should brush up on your geography before bashing others.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,491,622 times
Quote:

In the case of Florida and Texas, quite a bit of that economic growth is stimulated by population growth. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since there is something bringing the population, but it can also result in an economic bubble. Just ask the folks in Nevada how fast, population based, economic growth worked out in the long run.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
In the case of Florida and Texas, quite a bit of that economic growth is stimulated by population growth. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since there is something bringing the population, but it can also result in an economic bubble. Just ask the folks in Nevada how fast, population based, economic growth worked out in the long run.
I seem to recall a while back, Florida for the first time had more people moving out than in.I think it was last year. Florida has always been a boom and bust kinda State. Only this time the bust carried over to the rest of the States.almost..... So , I would assume there are a lot of empty houses down there these days. They are cheap to build, no basement and mostly cinder block, almost no insulation other than code .Florida is not Nevada by a long shot ! Yes the interior is hot,humid,and swamp, but the long coast line is another matter. Nevada was not meant to be for living, only for vacations to Las Vegas, some Tahoe and Reno ,which did not get hit so hard as the fake economy Las Vegas had and still has. Just outside of the city is desert and death valley....no place anyone would want to live good times or bad.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Again, the Movie " Fargo. It was crime all at wintertime, one of the things that made the film so great...and true to life. We all move a little slower in winter, and thats only because of so many layers of clothes and slick highways !
Anecdotal evidence < Long-term statistical trends.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,638,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think places like Arizona, Nevada, California and Florida are for people who are escaping something. They got in a fight with their family and are escaping their terrible life and situation back in Smalltown MI. You get alot of losers and drifters in these warm weather places.
Here in California, you aren't gonna find too many drifters from the eastern 2/3rd of the country. It's too far and too expensive. Florida yeah, but not California. I otherwise agree with your hypothesis though. Yeah, you'll have a better overall human quality in the colder states as opposed to the sunbelt or warm states. Dunno why though, but that seems to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or