U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,162,690 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever rented an apartment in a highrise? I'm under the impression that unless you're renting an expensive apartment in an expensive building, you'd probably end up being happier at a normal 2-3 story "lowrise" apartment. Some of the issues with a highrise might be:

Will the elevators work?
Will there be any water pressure?
Will there be easily accessible parking? What if a friend wants to visit?
Will the building be full of bugs?

Comments? Do you agree with my perception that there are many dumpy highrise apartments out there and that you need to be in an expensive one for it to be worthwhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 AM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
you don't need a real expenisve high-rise to avoid problems. i live in a 2-bed 2-bath for $1350 (for DC and NoVA that's a steal) and i rarely have problems. elevators do go out but that is rare. one or two ants do show up but no roaches. the parking can be a problem espically if trying to park at night. i've never had any issues with the water. in DC proper the high-rises are a lot safer than the low rises with all the flying stray bullets. to sum it up no i don't agree with you.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
No. I know loads of people who live in mid-range high rise buildings in Chicago that don't have those problems except the issue of accessible parking, but that is a problem in many places in the city, I used to live in a 3 storey building and my friends often had a hard time finding parking within 1/2 a mile of my place (most buildings whether 3 story or 30 story don't have parking options).

One unusual problem that vexes a lot of people I know who live in high rises on the lake, both expensive ones and not so expensive ones is the inexplicable presence of these little spiders that seem to crawl up and down the outside windows. It seems that spiders like the lakefront view as well.

That being said, I like my two-flat better.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,162,690 times
I lived in the DC/NoVA area for a couple months a few years back, and yeah, it's definitely a parking nightmare at many apartment complexes, both highrise and two story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or