U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times

Advertisements

Denver seems to have a decent relationship with the suburbs. Only the farthest out burbs in Douglas County seem uninterested in being cooperative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Kansas City is less engaged with the suburbs because of the huge state line "problem." Kansas City covers counties in both Kansas and Missouri with a metro population of around 2 million. 700,000+ of those people live on the suburbs on the Kansas side of the state line. The metro has a very adversarial relationship and you find constant fighting about whether MO or the KS side of the state line has the advantage or does things better.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
I agree that LA is engaged with its suburbs, mostly because the region is so closely intertwined that there is no central city versus suburbs - parts of LA are more "suburban" in nature, while some of the suburbs are more like the city.

Minneapolis doesn't overall seem to have a good relationship with its suburbs, although there are some regional shared things (such as the library system). In general there seems to be quite a bit of city versus suburb resentment, though, not to mention an even greater "outstate" Minnesota versus the Twin Cities mentality. A lot of the antagonism is over transportation issues, with many suburban politicians and residents (not all, but many) seeing public transportation as something primarily for poor city residents, and therefore not something that they're interested in funding.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM

930 posts, read 1,319,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
While in general Chicago suburbs and city are very very different as far as layout, they get along pretty well. A lot of that is focused on downtown and the north side, and the fact that Metra delivers 360,000 rides every day between the city and the burbs. It helps keep hundreds of thousands of high paying jobs in the city that bring in suburbanites who would probably otherwise avoid the city. It helps the bond.
I actually think the opposite. The Cook County suburbs are fuming over Todd Stroger's sales tax increase and they blame Chicago for giving them the Toddler. Some of the northwestern burbs were contemplating secession from Cook Co. Also, a county commissioner from the noerhtern burbs once offered 10 grand for information that would lead to the indictment of Daley.

The collar counties hate Chicago - almost all of their reps voted against funding for the RTA...even though they're getting more use out of Metra than what they're paying in.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think there is an adversarial relationship between most rust-belt cities and their suburbs.
This is actually very accurate. Suburbs of cities like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc tend to distance themselves from the central city.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post

It seems like when the inner-cities started to crumble, people simply moved into the suburbs and said "it's not my problem". Without middle-class tax revenue the inner cities would then crumble further.
I think it was the other way around. When people started flocking to the suburbs after WWII, the cities started to crumble because who was going to care for all the surplus of housing that was left behind? After they moved they said it isn't my problem, even though they in part are a huge part to blame

Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,444,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I think it was the other way around. When people started flocking to the suburbs after WWII, the cities started to crumble because who was going to care for all the surplus of housing that was left behind? After they moved they said it isn't my problem, even though they in part are a huge part to blame

Perhaps they moved, because they could now afford to own homes AND cars. It wasn't their fault that the cities couldn't attract or keep citizens living in/maintaining those areas.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I actually think the opposite. The Cook County suburbs are fuming over Todd Stroger's sales tax increase and they blame Chicago for giving them the Toddler. Some of the northwestern burbs were contemplating secession from Cook Co. Also, a county commissioner from the noerhtern burbs once offered 10 grand for information that would lead to the indictment of Daley.
People in the city are just as pissed. It's a Cook County issue, not Chicago. Stroger got in because Illinois is cracked out as far as politics.

After I thought about it though I realized that almost everyone in the city could care less about the suburbs and it's always talked about as this huge boring "mass" of sprawl. I just tend to see people in the suburbs who like the city, although a lot of them are people who use to live in the city, now moved to the suburbs since they had kids, and miss the city a lot.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Now that I"ve had a little nap, let me elaborate a bit on Denver. We have the following metro-area taxing districts: RTD (public transit, currently involved in building a major light rail system reaching out to some of the farther suburbs); football stadium (Go Broncos!); baseball stadium (Go Rockies); Scientific and Cultural Facilities Distric ( supports Denver Public Library, Denver Art Museum, Colo. History Museum, Museum of Nature and Science, Denver Zoo, Denver Botanic Gardens, Denver Center for the Performing Arts, various other arts venues in the city, plus provides grants to non-profit suburban arts groups).

Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Omaha doesn't really Have suburbs, just 2 true suburban cities south of the city, We've annexed the rest so we can develop our downtown, muahahahahahahaha!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or