U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 20,950 times

Advertisements

Hey,

me and my girlfriend (we both are from Germany) are gonna work as volunteers for one year in your great country. Since we have some freetime and holidays we want to travel around. We are now wondering what are the best places to see. Can anybody help?

We're also looking for people to meet, who may also travel around the country, or are just interested in meeting new people.

I'm looking very forward to your posts!!!

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
Hi Marc,

Nice to hear that you're thinking of volunteering in the US. As I'm sure you're aware, it's a huge country and it would take more than a lifetime to see every beautiful area.

You might want to start by looking at our National Parks as well as our Scenic Byways. Of course, there are many other beautiful and interesting regions that are off the beaten path. You might want to look at US travel guides.

There are more major cities than you could have time to explore, so you should do your research and find out which cities appeal to you the most. Off the top of my head, some of the most interesting and unique cities in the US in my opinion are Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, New Orleans... the list goes on.

The natural wonders of the West, from the California coast to the Rocky Mountains are not to be missed. I'm particularly fond of my home region, New England, its natural scenery and well-preserved towns and cities -- best visited in the month of October to see the autumn colors.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on what to see, but even in a year you'll have to pick and choose. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Bath, New Hampshire - Oct 2008

Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,549,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcChristopher View Post
Hey,

me and my girlfriend (we both are from Germany) are gonna work as volunteers for one year in your great country. Since we have some freetime and holidays we want to travel around. We are now wondering what are the best places to see. Can anybody help?

We're also looking for people to meet, who may also travel around the country, or are just interested in meeting new people.

I'm looking very forward to your posts!!!

Marc

1st of all, thank you for volunteering! We thank you for it.

You've gotten some great suggestions already. My suggestion is to stay off the major highways and explore the back roads.
Take in the normal visitor spots like Vegas, California, Florida, New York etc etc.

Have a great time!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Hey guys,

thank you for all your advice. One thing to volunteering: Since we feel belonging to the USA more than to Germany there was no doubt that we wanna do something for the society.

I'm aware that the USA are a very big country and I've already been to several places including Florida and California. I really like it a lot. Especially the typical small american villages with all its friendly people around.

I'm looking forward to more advices.
Marc

Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,416,959 times
If you have the time and the money then maybe try to eventually visit at least a little of all the major regions. You're never going to see everything, but you can at least get a sense of the vastness of the country as well as the different physical and cultural variations to be found.

I highly recommend visiting a Midwest state fair. The Minnesota State Fair is a HUGE deal, and goes on for several weeks in late August through early September. People from the city, suburbs, small towns, and rural areas all come together. You can see farm animals, buy tractors, eat all sorts of weird food on a stick, do some great people watching, watch a dairy "princess" get her bust carved out of butter, and generally get a uniquely American experience. All states have them, but the Midwest state fairs are among the biggest in the country.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM

559 posts, read 1,608,213 times
you could come to okc and see the oklahoma city national memorial.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc8/overprivileged/Christmas%202007%20aka%20OKC%202008/CIMG0217.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Very cool, Marc Too bad you are not here today, they could use you up in Fargo, North Dakota to help fill sandbags to fight the Red River flood! But it'll be over by the time you get here.

I wonder if New Orleans is still in need of volunteers, anyone know? That would be a great place to stay while volunteering, and it is relatively centrally located in the country for further exploration.

Hope you have a great stay in our country!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Very cool, Marc Too bad you are not here today, they could use you up in Fargo, North Dakota to help fill sandbags to fight the Red River flood! But it'll be over by the time you get here.

I wonder if New Orleans is still in need of volunteers, anyone know? That would be a great place to stay while volunteering, and it is relatively centrally located in the country for further exploration.

Hope you have a great stay in our country!
I think they still need volunteers in Nola, Ben.

Habitat for Humanity and Brad Pitts' rebuilding efforts are still both going strong.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Hey guys,

we already have a place for volunteering. It is the St. Marks Christian Lutheran Church in Miami :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.