U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post
Thanks for a very good reply.

One thing that annoys me is the word SCOTCH-IRISH.

Yes i know this is only used in America, but as i have stated before it's incorrect.

As you can tell by my user name I'm a Ulsterman and a lot of people on my side of the community dont consider themselves to be Irish. if i moved to America I'd be a wee bit upset if someone said i was Scotch-Irish.
a lot of ulster protestants are a mixed bunch of Scottish,English, French Huguenot and German palatine decent. We are not just of Scottish Decent.

Once again, thanks for a good reply.
Even in America, most people don't use the term Scotch-Irish. I live in the South and I'd guess that most people are Scoth-Irish. Many people have names that start with Mc. But most people I know claim to be part Irish, just like the Irish Catholics up in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM

105 posts, read 180,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Even in America, most people don't use the term Scotch-Irish. I live in the South and I'd guess that most people are Scoth-Irish. Many people have names that start with Mc. But most people I know claim to be part Irish, just like the Irish Catholics up in the Northeast.
I've never been to the southern states of America, but one day i will.

Would love to go to Appalachia regions of the south. No doubt i might have some family connections there

Not all the ulster protestant community have surname that start with Mc

On the subject of the ulstermen and women of the southern states ,yes i guess they could call themselves part Irish.
But a lot of things have changed since they left Ulster in the 1700's

Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Utah will be pretty high because most are very sure about their family history and many LDS emigrated from Britain in the 18th Century.
Also, many of the original LDS people were New Englanders or Upstate NY'ers. Brigham Young was originally from Vermont and Joseph Smith was from Upstate NY for example. So, they might have just held on to their heritage through their tight religious community.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I've never been to the southern states of America, but one day i will.

Would love to go to Appalachia regions of the south. No doubt i might have some family connections there

Not all the ulster protestant community have surname that start with Mc

On the subject of the ulstermen and women of the southern states ,yes i guess they could call themselves part Irish.
But a lot of things have changed since they left Ulster in the 1700's
Yeah but when I encounter someone who has a last name starting with Mc down here I assume that they are not Irish Catholic, but Scotch-Irish. But most seem to think that they are just Irish Protestants.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
Default Good point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah but when I encounter someone who has a last name starting with Mc down here I assume that they are not Irish Catholic, but Scotch-Irish. But most seem to think that they are just Irish Protestants.
..as here in Boston, many, if not most ,are Irish Catholic, so you see a lot of Sullivans, Murphys, OBriens and McSweeneys, etc.; whereas in the South, many Irish or Scottish Protestants, like perhaps MacTavish or MacFarlane or MacDonald, etc.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..as here in Boston, many, if not most ,are Irish Catholic, so you see a lot of Sullivans, Murphys, OBriens and McSweeneys, etc.; whereas in the South, many Irish or Scottish Protestants, like perhaps MacTavish or MacFarlane or MacDonald, etc.
Actually I see a lot more Mc than Mac and I know a lot of Murphys, a lot of Kellys, and other Irish names. A few starting with O, but they're usually Irish Catholic.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
I don't understand the OP. The British didn't assimilate into "the general, white-American culture", the British invented the "general, white-American culture".

ABQConvict

Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't understand the OP. The British didn't assimilate into "the general, white-American culture", the British invented the "general, white-American culture".

ABQConvict
Basically.......

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,815,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

ABQConvict
Yup, for the British-descendents to have a Little Britain in the US would be a bit like having a White Students Association in college.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Thanks for a very good reply.

One thing that annoys me is the word SCOTCH-IRISH.

Yes i know this is only used in America, but as i have stated before it's incorrect.

As you can tell by my user name I'm a Ulsterman and a lot of people on my side of the community dont consider themselves to be Irish. if i moved to America I'd be a wee bit upset if someone said i was Scotch-Irish.
a lot of ulster protestants are a mixed bunch of Scottish,English, French Huguenot and German palatine decent. We are not just of Scottish Decent.

Once again, thanks for a good reply.
Well, Scotch-Irish is an American term, and I think its use is limited to immigrants of a certain origin and time period. Most Americans don't use, or know of the words 'Ulster' or 'Ulster-Scot,' which I guess would be the modern-day Scotch-Irish.

Lately I've been looking up my genealogy, and have found some interesting stuff. Once you get back to the 1600-1700's, you're talking about a ton of people that each individual is related to. I'm amazed at how consistent it is... like clockwork, people moved out of the regions around Liverpool and Belfast, settled in rural South Carolina, (sometimes GA, NC or VA), and from the 1650's to the 1850's, they moved around from generation to generation only within about a 20-mile radius of where they grew up. There are surprisingly few geographic outliers. After the Civil War, I see a lot of mobility - a lot of siblings moving west to Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi. The other half of my family.. that starts with a "Mc".. I haven't even started on yet.

Last edited by le roi; 03-25-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.