U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,938 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to move, coming from new york i know all about high rent, taxes and prices, but i cant afford that being 20 years old. Being able to hold a full-time valet parking job(which pays pretty good actually) and full-time college schedule, what is the best place for me to leave, the further from new york the better, i just need some kind of help and direction. thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,186,413 times
Do you know what you want to do with your life? What are you studying/majoring in in college?

Are you currently living at home? Provide some more information and I will do my level best to give you some kind of guidance or road map.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM

629 posts, read 2,576,357 times
I don't know if you're up for this or not, but a lot of kids are finding southern states enable them to accomplish their goals with a minimum of financial struggle.

The culture IS different than NYC, but not as much as you'd think. People are basically the same all over. If you're a friendly person and open to change, you'll do fine.

All of my family is from CT. Some of us loved Charlotte, I happen to like the Knoxville area a whole bunch, and you'll never tear my daughter out of Georgia.

We've moved south twice, first time being when we were young(er). Just starting out, with small kids, it was perfect for getting a foot in the real estate door and getting established financially.

That area may not be your cup of julep forever, but it's a good jumping off point.

Good luck to you

Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Do you know what you want to do with your life? What are you studying/majoring in in college?

Are you currently living at home? Provide some more information and I will do my level best to give you some kind of guidance or road map.
im majoring in exercise science, later on to go into physical therapy, i am living at home now and cannot take it anymore, my grades arent that good thats the reason i wanna leave from here, way too many distractions, and also i play soccer and serious about it, thats pretty much it, thank you

Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,164,019 times
First, try to appreciate your good fortune. You're young and you aren't tied down and presumably you don't have much debt. You can choose to live anywhere in the country and have many choices.

You didn't give us much criteria to work with. Is there a particular region or climate you're interested in? Is your goal merely to find a state with a low cost of living and low college tuition and a good economy (if such a state exists)? Is being near the ocean important? Is being near mountains important? How would you feel about being landlocked in the middle of flat land?

I do think that you should avoid California, Boston, and the Washington D.C. area since you'll find high poulation densities, which, presumably, you want to avoid.

If you were me, then you'd be considering:

Oregon
Colorado
Utah
North Carolina
Texas (Dallas and Austin, not Houston)
Idaho
Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul if you can take the cold)

Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
First, try to appreciate your good fortune. You're young and you aren't tied down and presumably you don't have much debt. You can choose to live anywhere in the country and have many choices.

You didn't give us much criteria to work with. Is there a particular region or climate you're interested in? Is your goal merely to find a state with a low cost of living and low college tuition and a good economy (if such a state exists)? Is being near the ocean important? Is being near mountains important? How would you feel about being landlocked in the middle of flat land?

I do think that you should avoid California, Boston, and the Washington D.C. area since you'll find high poulation densities, which, presumably, you want to avoid.

If you were me, then you'd be considering:

Oregon
Colorado
Utah
North Carolina
Texas (Dallas and Austin, not Houston)
Idaho
Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul if you can take the cold)
to tell you the truth, i wanted to go to cali, and ye i should have mentioned that i would prefer to live closer to the ocean, and its not the population that bothers me, how bout some place like san diego, i checked around, rent is pretty cheap there and they a high demand of work that i do, what you think about that

Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,136 times
I would suggest Henderson/Las Vegas Nevada.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,293,605 times
The world is at your doorstep, enjoy it while you can. Some cities I'd suggest taking a look at are:

Denver, CO
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Las Vegas, NV
Seattle, WA
Possibly Phoenix if you like hot weather.

Some of my friends from high school moved to Denver and they wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Tons of clubs, bars, resturants, shopping, etc etc. Also has a fairly low cost of living.

San Diego is nice but it's expensive. The ocean has a price.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
If you like that big-city feel, Id try Chicago, youd probably like it. Its scaled down and cheaper, but still about the furthest thing from boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or