U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 AM

259 posts, read 323,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I recently took a trip with family up to Fairfax, virginia and Washington DC for a family reunion. My relatives up there did exhibit some very arrogant and off putting behavior at times, especially when we referred to their summer house on the Potomac as a camp. To a Louisianian, a camp can be anything from a tiny fishing shack to a luxurious vacation home, so we were not in any way insulting their place. But they took it as such and insisted that we call it "a second home". Also, we have what we call pawn shops down here. Places to pawn off items or to buy used stuff for cheap. Up there they insisted that pawnshops are below a placel ike Fairfax and that such places be called "thrift stores". This is the kind of arrogant stuff I despise really and I didnt expect it from my own relatives, but it definitely shows some subtle reasons why the South is so different.

Down here I really notice that we are more tolerant of what someone wants to call something. We do not have a rigid definition of certain things (with the exception of the term marriage as defined in the bible but Im kind of gray on that one) and you can pretty much call it like you see it. Its more relaxed, and much slower paced down here, and frankly, I found myself really missing the southern way of life after 2 weeks up in NOVA/Maryland. It all just seemed so fake and superficial up there to me. I didnt feel welcomed there, and waving to people just resulted in staring. I know this isnt indicative of everywhere up North but I saw these things firsthand all over the area. Maybe its a DC thing. I did notice the people near Bushwood, Maryland are more down to earth and friendly.

All I know is, down here things seem to go in slow motion. nobody really worries about how they appear to other people as much and how you were raised is how you raise your kids. Faith is definitely important to most families, and teaching a child to safely and responsibly operate a gun is absolutely no big deal and encouraged. Cities are less about mass transport and more about clusters of communities and everyone drives to get where they are going. It all feels very different especially in Louisiana (which is perhaps the most unique Southern state), and yet, in ways, the places up there were still vaguely familiar to large Southern cities.

The real differences seem to be idealogies. The north seems to be about fast paced, business oriented, no nonsense, population centers. Millions of people living in what I would consider slightly cramped lifestyles devoid of a real sense of individuality. It lacks the more close knit feel that we have down here and I think thats really why I dont like it. Some of the towns further from DC were more "realistic" imo but thats where the South begins to take root so it doesnt really say much for the area. Overall I( didnt mind visiting there for a couple weeks because I love mountains and seeing new things, but I really would never live there or anywhere in the northeast. They seem to be aiming for a more upper class European lifestyle and Im really not interested in that.

Thats basically my take on the whole North vs. South thing based on what Ive experienced. Racially, I think the North and south are pretty much equally racist. I notice that the north is more segregated by class, with more wealthy folks moving far away from city centers, which creates massive sprawling populations. Down here it seems that our cities grow with much fewer suburbs (talking about ouisiana here) and more by adding subdivisions and keeping all classes of people mixed together. This is what creates the higher crime rates, but the positive tradeoff is that upper class folks are much less resented by the poorer communities, because we live next to people with trailers, low rent apartments, small houses...Its more homogenous. Up in Fairfax I saw pretty much an entire city of wealthy people. all the poorer areas were further towards the city, and seemingly divided from the wealthier parts by retaining walls or just distance. Im not surprised that the wealthier parts have little crime and are kept very clean when you have the advantage of completely pricing lower classes out of an area. Thats why I say the north is equally as racist and class prejudiced as they claim the south is. Its just hypocritical to say otherwise, but then its just human nature to not accept something that is didfferent from yourself. We are all guilty of this.

I apologize that I wrote so much.

There is a difference between a Thrift Store and a Pawn Shop and they do have Pawn Shops in Fairfax. A Thrift Shop sells clothes and good at a very low price and many of the items are donated.

In this day and age, the north is more racist than the south. The real difference is southern racists let you know up front where they stand, while the northern racist vehemently insist they are not racists, but engage in all manner of racist activities when in the company of their racist crew.

At least the southern racist has the balls to stand up and be who he is. While many of the northern racists are simple cowards and liars.

Fairfax is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, there are plenty of middle class enclaves all around Fiarfax and Prince William which is right next to Fairfax as well as Alexandria do have lots off middle class people and poor people as well.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,306,789 times
I grew up in a large northern city. Since 8 years I live in the South.
Living in the South:
I've never done encountered so many adults (born and raised in America) who have such difficulties with 5th grade English.
I've done been sneered at because my favorite sport is baseball, not football or basketball.
Southern Machos - shaved heads (or hair that is no longer than 1/2 inch). Or long, greasy hair. Harley tee shirts with the sleeves ripped off. Baseball caps worn backwards. Machos strut when walking.

People that mention Jesus are good people, atheists ( and those of other religions) are bad people. An atheist in the South should keep quiet.
People who wave flags are good people, those who don't are bad people.
Of course, many of these same situations can be encountered in the rural North as well, but not as frequent.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,133,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up in a large northern city. Since 8 years I live in the South.
Living in the South:
I've never done encountered so many adults (born and raised in America) who have such difficulties with 5th grade English.
I've done been sneered at because my favorite sport is baseball, not football or basketball.
Southern Machos - shaved heads (or hair that is no longer than 1/2 inch). Or long, greasy hair. Harley tee shirts with the sleeves ripped off. Baseball caps worn backwards. Machos strut when walking.

People that mention Jesus are good people, atheists ( and those of other religions) are bad people. An atheist in the South should keep quiet.
People who wave flags are good people, those who don't are bad people.
Of course, many of these same situations can be encountered in the rural North as well, but not as frequent.
I'm gonna go ahead and call bs on this entire post right now. You can't even get your southern stereotypes fully straight. In the southern hierarchy of sports baseball comes before basketball.

"I've done been"

And you make fun of the english of other people?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,136,535 times
Sure, one truth about the South is that their women are the prettiest and they know how to treat a man better than the girls from the other areas.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 AM

259 posts, read 323,402 times
Most of the stereotypes are bogus, your just as likely to see an ignorant redneck wearing a mullet in Dansville NY as you are in Alabama.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM

2,034 posts, read 4,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
There is a difference between a Thrift Store and a Pawn Shop and they do have Pawn Shops in Fairfax. A Thrift Shop sells clothes and good at a very low price and many of the items are donated.

In this day and age, the north is more racist than the south. The real difference is southern racists let you know up front where they stand, while the northern racist vehemently insist they are not racists, but engage in all manner of racist activities when in the company of their racist crew.

At least the southern racist has the balls to stand up and be who he is. While many of the northern racists are simple cowards and liars.

Fairfax is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, there are plenty of middle class enclaves all around Fiarfax and Prince William which is right next to Fairfax as well as Alexandria do have lots off middle class people and poor people as well.

Thanks for sharing.
regarding thrift shops, if thats the difference, then Lafayette does have a couple of them called Good Will and upscale Resale. I did notice that Falls Church is a bit more down to earth and realistic than Fairfax is. It looks like a place I wouldnt mind visiting again and meeting people who might be a bit less arrogant and a lot more understanding of the southern way of life and with a better mixture of people and classes.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,964,931 times
Why do Southern women talk so much? Just ramble on and on and on. I have worked with Southern women, and had friends, both living in the North and the South. They just keep talking and talking for half an hour when they made their point in 5 minutes.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM

542 posts, read 1,287,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Why do Southern women talk so much? Just ramble on and on and on. I have worked with Southern women, and had friends, both living in the North and the South. They just keep talking and talking for half an hour when they made their point in 5 minutes.
No offense, but all women are very gossipy & chatty. I doubt it's exclusive to one region. If anything, I just think Southern women tend to be more extroverted. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
when you figure that out, let me know. I still haven't and I am a Southerner!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,306,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and call bs on this entire post right now. You can't even get your southern stereotypes fully straight. In the southern hierarchy of sports baseball comes before basketball.

"I've done been"

And you make fun of the english of other people?
In the city I live, Major League Baseball rates 3rd page in the sports section. By surprise the recent perfect game by a White Sox pitcher was remarkable enough for a front page story. The first two pages are dedicated to football and basketball (usually college), even though neither is in season at this time.

Could it be that I done made those mistakes intentionally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or