U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 01:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,965,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Doesn't NASCAR take top billing when it comes to sports in the South? I'm guessing Hog Calling would be a close second.

Why dont you compare attendance at the Phoenix track with a Diamondbacks game.

I think you'll be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,141,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I guess we Southern men are now being lectured...by a person who disdains the South, but moved to, and lives in it. I swear to gawd...I will never understand it. It has to be a yankee thing, because there is no other way to explain it....

Ok, the "endearments" like honey, and darlin' and sugar? It simply reflects the easy and friendly and bonding way we Southerners get along with each other. Male and female. Its use is affectionate. Or just easily friendly. Not sexist. It so very much expresses in everyday exchanges, our natural attachement to one another. Like family, in so many ways.

But ok, maybe it IS only something another Southerner can understand. I forgive you for that part of it, as you are not one of us. And have made that clear and make a point to keep doing so.

In fact, I even feel sorry for you. I really do. That is, in the sense, that you can feel nothing, feel no part at all, of a region, which welcomes you, but all you can do is find fault with.

*AHEM* But back to the honey, darling, etc, etc, thing?

I doubt any would use that those terms if they knew you and how you feel about the South. No biggie, really. It doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things.

At the same time, I will continue to use the those endearments -- and I emphasize ENDEARMENTS -- all the time in the casual encounters -- with the most wonderful women and best mannered ladies in the world. That is to say, Southern.

So if we should encounter in a social situation? I let "hon" slip out? I hope you will forgive me as just a trying to be polite Southern male who didn't know your yankee hang-ups and underlying disdain for the South.

At the same time? I will use all those words with Southern ladies. Especially in those good-smelling cafes, which stretch all the way from Texas to Virginia...and those waitresses who say something like:

"You want some more tea, darlin?

And we say:

Sure do, thanks, hon...

THAT is Southern. And I am so sorry you will never be a part of it....cos of your own choices...
brilliant post!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,982,570 times
Default I say the say about Southern men

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
"Southern Charm" is a form of manipulation used by ignorant women who live in the South. As a Northerner, I can spot those silly games a mile away.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,982,570 times
Unhappy Where I live the population

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4559 View Post
I was born a Southerner in S.W. Georgia. I also spent 14 years in New Jersey. What I have found is that the North can be more closed minded in some areas than the South in regards to prejuidices. I am not talking about NYC, where anything and everything goes, I am talking about mid to small sized towns like Trenton or Burlington or Freehold., etc.

The major differences that set the South apart are rooted in God, family and Country. Communities are tight knit because they have watched generations grow up in the same town. The lack of industry keeps people from moving into these communities and therefore leaves the natives to their own devices for survival, normally a rut that each family group is born into and rarely traverses unless they leave for a life elsewhere.
The truth is the South can be closed to the outsider because the community structure doesn't like radical change. People are content with the lifestyle they are comfortable with. Now I am talking about populations under 10,000. Survival and acceptance here is more about the lifestyle than the person. To thrive here there are some things you need to understand.

1. This is the Bible belt. There are Churches on every corner for a reason. You are expected to go to Church. Pick one and go at least 2-3 times a week if possible. A good "God Revering and God fearing" person is part of the Southern fabric. This means that you subscribe to and agree with the teachings of the Bible.

2. Family. No matter what, family is the core. You will take care of your children and teach them necessary survival skills in case things go backwards...i.e. hunting, fishing, farming and other life lessons. With the amount of land and lack of industry, this is not only for survival, it is recreational. Everyone knows how to live off the land, also part of the teachings in the Bible. Appreciation of God's creation.

3. Country. Southerner's are patriotic. No, not the rebel yelling Civil War type of patriotism, but real Military support. If you want to know how the South feels about the Military, ask one of them. We love and support our Troops. While we might not agree with the politics of war, we will support the people that defend our freedom on any given day. Troops are sacred. They [ay the ultimate sacrafice. This is something that the South has clung to for years because we can identify with the fighting spirit because we will all still fight to hold onto our culture now. God, family, country.

4. We are conservatives. Some by necessity. Some by choice. The laws and rules of the Bible governs. While most cannot conceive the notion of a culture that is not accepting of Gay marriage, strip clubs or the legalization of "pot", you must understand that we view this as against the cultural and religious laws that have been passed down for generations. We feel like we, as Christian's, are under attack from radicals that try to impose these radical changes on our culture. While most of us are quiet, there is a general unrest brewing that is combining the forces of all races that are Southern by birth. We feel that our culture is coming under attack.

5. Politically the South feels that these new gun laws are a way to disarm us and trample our Constitution (Patriotism). We, as a WHOLE culture combining all races, feel threatened. There is a general unrest brewing and it travels a lot farther into the mid section of the Country than most realize.

Remember, we are patriotic and believe in the 2nd amendment rights. We use guns for hunting and recreation, and have a lot less crime than the rest of the country. The reason we don't have much crime because everyone owns guns and everyone knows it. Most of the gun crimes are committed in the areas of the country that support gun bans.
Also, we live in racial peace. It is rare now that we have any racial problems, but when one does arise, we are pounded in the news about it to reinforce that the South needs change. Wow. I saw more racial tensions up North than I have ever seen here, yet we are living with the stigma that has been passed for generations of thought elsewhere.
is not southern. Actually, most people here are from the MidWest. It's a tourist/transplant/retiree tropical resort. I am referring to the TRANSPLANTS from Georgia, Tennesse, etc. This may technically the "south", but Naples, Florida, isn't the "south", except for geography.

Actually, most of my experience comes from transplants from the South to the NORTH. Maybe they should embrace the culture of North, too?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,004,584 times
The divide is very noticeable. You have the "new south" and the "old south." The new south cities were flooded with transplants over the past several decades and are now quite diverse. Some of those cities include: Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Orlando, Dallas, and Houston. These cities have all had extremely high growth rates both in the recent past and up to the present. The cities of the old south include: Memphis, Little Rock, Montgomery, Jackson, Roanoke, Charleston, and Richmond. They have experienced growth, but nowhere close to the scale of the new south cities. The cities of the old south have largely retained much of their southern culture and traditions while not being entirely overrun by transplants from other parts of the country.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-31-2009 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,812,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4559 View Post
1. This is the Bible belt. There are Churches on every corner for a reason. You are expected to go to Church. Pick one and go at least 2-3 times a week if possible. A good "God Revering and God fearing" person is part of the Southern fabric. This means that you subscribe to and agree with the teachings of the Bible.

2. Family. No matter what, family is the core. You will take care of your children and teach them necessary survival skills in case things go backwards...i.e. hunting, fishing, farming and other life lessons. With the amount of land and lack of industry, this is not only for survival, it is recreational. Everyone knows how to live off the land, also part of the teachings in the Bible. Appreciation of God's creation.

3. Country. Southerner's are patriotic. No, not the rebel yelling Civil War type of patriotism, but real Military support. If you want to know how the South feels about the Military, ask one of them. We love and support our Troops. While we might not agree with the politics of war, we will support the people that defend our freedom on any given day. Troops are sacred. They [ay the ultimate sacrafice. This is something that the South has clung to for years because we can identify with the fighting spirit because we will all still fight to hold onto our culture now. God, family, country.
And yet, southern states have some of the highest divorce rates in the country. Weird.

As for #3, that's just one form of patriotism. There are many other ways to express love of country. Anyone can express a love of the troops and wave a flag.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,994,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And yet, southern states have some of the highest divorce rates in the country. Weird.
Mostly true, but divorce rates in South Carolina and Texas don't appear high by US standards.