U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 AM

207 posts, read 282,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
They are true for the most part. There are exceptions, like there are with every stereotype, and sometimes they get over exaggerated, but I live in Little Rock and I can honestly say this place fits everything you just listed to a tee.
I think the problem here is that we have Northerners who perhaps shouldn't be living in the South to begin with, bringing down their own biases with them, and their own OPINIONS on what constitutes "high culture".

I have traveled the world and have a college degree. I am educated. And yes, I am a Southerner. I personally prefer the South to the North in many ways (most ways).

What is with this talk about "backwards culture"? If you consider young girls being taught to act like ladies, and young people in general being taught to say "sir" and "mam", "backwards" well then.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
Hmm... I could rephrase this to say that the North won't "get along" with the South until a certain demographic of Southerners can understand that many Northerners are moral without adhering to many southerners rigid religious-oriented definitions of moral values. It seems many southern Christians believe that because of their fundamentalist Judeo-Christian beliefs that they have a monopoly on morals and values over those who don't share their particular belief system. Why are Evangelicals known as the "morals and values" crowd? This implies that they somehow are more moral than those who don't share their beliefs. This is just as arrogant or close minded as anyone not liking someone because of ones religious belief.

I refer to Evangelicals because a large portion of them reside in the south and they are known as the "moral and values" crowd. The poster I quoted above seems to think Northerners don't like southerners because... Southerners are moral.

Personally, I very rarely run into people who think that there is something wrong with southerners because of their religion and personal morals. However, we (me and friends) will have a problem if some of those particular morals are forced upon us.
The difference here is that Southerners stay put. However, Northerners who complain about the South constantly move South. If Northerners would stay put then most of these problems would be solved. It is kind of hateful for you as Northerners to expect us to change down here in order to accomodate you when you are the ones moving into our territory. This isn't rocket science. If I were to move to New York City, I wouldn't constantly be complaining about men NOT opening doors for me. When in Rome.....

Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I've heard the same crap recycled again and again by southerners who try to brush off slavery, and claim that the Civil War was only a states rights issue and slavery had nothing to do with it. Sorry man, people who weren't brainwashed on that stuff from outside the south don't believe it.

By the way, did you do some scientific polling on the popularity of slavery in the north in the 1800's? All I know is that most southern whites hated the idea of the civil rights legislation, and it was a major reason why they defected from the Democratic Party. Why do you think the GOP adopted the Southern Strategy? It was to appeal to southern whites, who didn't support civil rights (to put it very mildly).
Here we go again. I'll tell you what. When white people up North who live in lily white states (most Northern states) decide to make 30% of their populations black (which is the percentage that exists in Deep South states), then you can lecture us on race. I am sick of your hypocrisy on this topic, enforcing integration and affirmative action on us down here while you stay in your 100% white neighborhoods in Maine and Minnesota.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I don't get this either. And I am a southerner. Southern women , to me, are much much much more feminine and submissive than Northern women. And it tends to mostly be women who end marriages all over the country. So, considering this, that women in the South have much less of a feminist, independent, chip on their shoulders than Northern women, where do these high divorce rates come from? Is it because people marry so young down here?
Do we know that this, women ending most marriages, is also true in the South? It seems like a national statistic might not apply to every region.

This will likely sound prejudiced but I think a small element of Anabaptism is in the Baptists in that the Baptist relatives I know often had a sort-of "running around" period before they get baptized. (Rumspringa heavy on the Rum I suppose) So for some of them they may have a brief unsuccessful marriage while "running around" and then settle later to a more permanent arrangement. I would be interested to see what the divorce rate for *Southerners over 30 or 35 is and if it's still above average for others that age.

Religion can influence the culture even of those not in it and Baptists are a stronger influence in the South than in most states outside it. Oklahoma's divorce rate is also high. It is Baptist, but whether it's Southern is kind-of off/on debated.

Another possible factor is that most of the South has greater poverty than the rest of the nation. Richer people I've seen are more likely to prefer separation to divorce as dividing the assets can be complicated. Middle and upper-class people may also feel they have more to lose in a divorce. Poorer people also have greater incarceration rates, generally speaking, and many marriages don't last when one or both members are behind bars. (I believe the South does, generally, have a higher rate of crime and imprisonment)

*In those states in the South with the high divorce rate and therefore excluding South Carolina or Texas.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 AM

96 posts, read 211,972 times
I heard a stereotype that people in the south were very friendly. This one did indeed prove true as I toured it this summer .

Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,556,257 times
Quote:
Here we go again. I'll tell you what. When white people up North who live in lily white states (most Northern states) decide to make 30% of their populations black (which is the percentage that exists in Deep South states), then you can lecture us on race. I am sick of your hypocrisy on this topic, enforcing integration and affirmative action on us down here while you stay in your 100% white neighborhoods in Maine and Minnesota.
I have to agree with this. Up north they really do not have much of an idea as to the true nature of racial differences and how difficult that makes coexisting in a community sometimes. Up there, where there are for example, black people, those areas are heavily avoided and segregated against. Call it white flight or what have you, but they will quickly move away from areas they deem to be filled with lower class scum.
While I can understand wanting to live in an area safe and with good schools, thats no excuse to snub entire races or classes of people from your community as Ive seen up there. Down in the South we coexist with a diverse array of racial backgrounds and classes. We have trailer parks a few blocks from million dollar homes, horses in backyards in the middle of the city, mixed racial neighborhoods, mixed class neighborhoods, and generally, an open minded view of racial differences. Thats not to say some of these differences arent frustrating or that sometimes people can be bad citizens and cause crime and litter the roads, but thats part of our more accepting culture here. We dont hide from those things, we deal with them. OK, so that means we cant have super fancy neighborhoods and upper class British influenced communites as much, but thats ok with me. I grew tired of that just being in Fairfax for two weeks. I dont need smug people telling me where I live and how I live is not an acceptable standard when I know full well that I can have all the things they have if I so desire it. What really gets me though, is how people come down here and are in shock when there is a butcher, or a cheap grocery store, or a row of trailer homes around, as if these are some sort of taboo. They are people making an honest living and they have every right to be where they are. thats my take on that. I have no shame with these sorts of things being located anywhere I might live. To me its diversity. To a northerner, its osmething undesirable to be avoided.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
There's a whole lot of truth, but it's just nit as widespread as people make it out to be.

I drove through the deep south and I saw some really stereotypical things about the south.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:43 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I have to agree with this. Up north they really do not have much of an idea as to the true nature of racial differences and how difficult that makes coexisting in a community sometimes. Up there, where there are for example, black people, those areas are heavily avoided and segregated against. Call it white flight or what have you, but they will quickly move away from areas they deem to be filled with lower class scum.
While I can understand wanting to live in an area safe and with good schools, thats no excuse to snub entire races or classes of people from your community as Ive seen up there. Down in the South we coexist with a diverse array of racial backgrounds and classes. We have trailer parks a few blocks from million dollar homes, horses in backyards in the middle of the city, mixed racial neighborhoods, mixed class neighborhoods, and generally, an open minded view of racial differences. Thats not to say some of these differences arent frustrating or that sometimes people can be bad citizens and cause crime and litter the roads, but thats part of our more accepting culture here. We dont hide from those things, we deal with them. OK, so that means we cant have super fancy neighborhoods and upper class British influenced communites as much, but thats ok with me. I grew tired of that just being in Fairfax for two weeks. I dont need smug people telling me where I live and how I live is not an acceptable standard when I know full well that I can have all the things they have if I so desire it. What really gets me though, is how people come down here and are in shock when there is a butcher, or a cheap grocery store, or a row of trailer homes around, as if these are some sort of taboo. They are people making an honest living and they have every right to be where they are. thats my take on that. I have no shame with these sorts of things being located anywhere I might live. To me its diversity. To a northerner, its osmething undesirable to be avoided.
>>>>>
What really gets me though, is how people come down here and are in shock when there is a butcher, or a cheap grocery store, or a row of trailer homes around, as if these are some sort of taboo. They are people making an honest living and they have every right to be where they are. thats my take on that.
<<<<<

Absolutely. Great post.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Quote:
The difference here is that Southerners stay put.
There are Southerners who move North. It might have been more common in the past, but it still happens. There's likely even some Southerner who move North while having bad opinions of the North.

Even in the "stickiest" of Southern states, Texas, around 24.2% of people born there now live in another state. Maybe it's mostly other Southern states, but likely not exclusively so. Also there are some "sticky" Northern states. Over 65% of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio reportedly were people born in-state who remain there.

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

A few cities in the North also attract people from other states. The majority of the people in Bend and Eugene Oregon are apparently from other states.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h169.html

Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, the "endearments" like honey, and darlin' and sugar? It simply reflects the easy and friendly and bonding way we Southerners get along with each other. Male and female. Its use is affectionate. Or just easily friendly. Not sexist. It so very much expresses in everyday exchanges, our natural attachement to one another. Like family, in so many ways.

<snip>

*AHEM* But back to the honey, darling, etc, etc, thing?

So if we should encounter in a social situation? I let "hon" slip out? I hope you will forgive me as just a trying to be polite Southern male who didn't know your yankee hang-ups and underlying disdain for the South.

At the same time? I will use all those words with Southern ladies. Especially in those good-smelling cafes, which stretch all the way from Texas to Virginia...and those waitresses who say something like:

"You want some more tea, darlin?

And we say:

Sure do, thanks, hon...

THAT is Southern. And I am so sorry you will never be a part of it....cos of your own choices...

You might be surprised to find out that the whole "Hon, Honey, Darling, etc..." thing is alive and well in my area also. Been that way for generations here, and is just as easy, and laid-back in it's usage as I ever saw while living in Texas. "Sugar" is another one used here as well, I didn't hear that as much in Texas, but did hear it in parts of Alabama and Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or