U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times

Advertisements

It's fine to discuss the stereotypes in the abstract, but applying them to other members may be considered a personal attack. Keep it general and don't make it personal. Remember what the TOS says:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:02 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,950,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I have to agree with this. Up north they really do not have much of an idea as to the true nature of racial differences and how difficult that makes coexisting in a community sometimes. Up there, where there are for example, black people, those areas are heavily avoided and segregated against. Call it white flight or what have you, but they will quickly move away from areas they deem to be filled with lower class scum.
While I can understand wanting to live in an area safe and with good schools, thats no excuse to snub entire races or classes of people from your community as Ive seen up there. Down in the South we coexist with a diverse array of racial backgrounds and classes. We have trailer parks a few blocks from million dollar homes, horses in backyards in the middle of the city, mixed racial neighborhoods, mixed class neighborhoods, and generally, an open minded view of racial differences. Thats not to say some of these differences arent frustrating or that sometimes people can be bad citizens and cause crime and litter the roads, but thats part of our more accepting culture here. We dont hide from those things, we deal with them. OK, so that means we cant have super fancy neighborhoods and upper class British influenced communites as much, but thats ok with me. I grew tired of that just being in Fairfax for two weeks. I dont need smug people telling me where I live and how I live is not an acceptable standard when I know full well that I can have all the things they have if I so desire it. What really gets me though, is how people come down here and are in shock when there is a butcher, or a cheap grocery store, or a row of trailer homes around, as if these are some sort of taboo. They are people making an honest living and they have every right to be where they are. thats my take on that. I have no shame with these sorts of things being located anywhere I might live. To me its diversity. To a northerner, its osmething undesirable to be avoided.
Lotta truth to this. Segregation in housing and schools is actually higher in the North and West from what I've researched.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM

I grew up in Western Kentucky during my child.hood years, and didn't encounter much racial incidents as an Asian Catholic. My friends and classmates rarely ever mentioned the fact of me being Asian or "different", I felt totally felt welcomed and accepted by the local community.

That's definitely more than I can say for SoCal however. Even with my (former) white friends here in California, I was constantly being reminded of the fact that I was an "asian guy", along with the racial baggage that goes along with that. That crap just gets REALLY F'in tiring after awhile.

I was always have to laugh inside whenever I tell people that I grew up in Kentucky, they'll often trot out the same ole "You must have had really bad time, having to deal with all the racists down there!" line. The bitter irony of it all, if they only knew....

Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,961,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I grew up in Western Kentucky during my child.hood years, and didn't encounter much racial incidents as an Asian Catholic. My friends and classmates rarely ever mentioned the fact of me being Asian or "different", I felt totally felt welcomed and accepted by the local community.

That's definitely more than I can say for SoCal however. Even with my (former) white friends here in California, I was constantly being reminded of the fact that I was an "asian guy", along with the racial baggage that goes along with that. That crap just gets REALLY F'in tiring after awhile.

I was always have to laugh inside whenever I tell people that I grew up in Kentucky, they'll often trot out the same ole "You must have had really bad time, having to deal with all the racists down there!" line. The bitter irony of it all, if they only knew....
Come on back!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Come on back!
Ya know, I've really been thinking about that lately. Me and my sister had some fantastic memories growing up there...Gonna see if I can get in touch with some of my childhood pals. Even been having dreams about them LoL. Yeah, definitely wanna make a visit sometime in the near future, just hope the people haven't changed too much.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,961,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Ya know, I've really been thinking about that lately. Me and my sister had some fantastic memories growing up there...Gonna see if I can get in touch with some of my childhood pals. Even been having dreams about them LoL. Yeah, definitely wanna make a visit sometime in the near future, just hope the people haven't changed too much.
Have you tried facebook to get in touch with old friends? I am amazed who I have found on there!

Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Have you tried facebook to get in touch with old friends? I am amazed who I have found on there!
I've seen some on classmates.com. But my sister still sorta keeps in touch with one of friends back there who used to live in the same neighborhood, so I am gonna ask her to see if she has any of my old bud's email addys...

Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,375,332 times
This thread proves one thing:

Mankind is millions of years along in its evolution and yet we have not forsaken the capacity to stand just outside the doorway of the cave and engage in third grade level mutual recrimination.

Also, just what is northern vs. southern culture?

My mom's side of the family is from Arkansas via South Carolina. Arkansas isn't culturally the same as Tennessee and Tennessee isn't culturally the same as Louisiana and Louisiana in no way resembles the culture of neighboring Texas and none of those is like Florida.

My dad's side of the family is from Pennsylvania, which isn't like Massachusetts which isn't like New York which isn't like California which isn't like Montana which isn't like Illinois. So just what is northern culture?

As far as racism goes, well, one of the biggest hate group areas is Riverside County, CA. Indiana is still a prominent KKK state. Yeah, in Texas, you had white police officers pulling over black motorists and threatening to frame them with phony drug charges unless they surrendered their car to the state, too. And I'm sure that up front racism is not morally any better than its covert counterpart.

The natural fact is that idiocy is everywhere. So is brilliance and so is just flat average. Where people grew up is going to imbue them with certain reference points, be they religious, philosophical, geographical and cultural. Every grouping of people has its own culture, whether it is one of four buddies who work at McDonalds to the larger assemblages of folks who congregate at churches or in political campaigns. All business entities that I have worked for tended to foster bunker mentalities.

As Erich Fromme once observed in his book "Escape from Freedom," folks loathe anomie and crave structures that define them and give them a sense of place and belonging. Of course, there are a myriad of possible structures that can occur to perform that job. And so what we see being exhibited here is competition between those structures. That gives rise to two choices: either just accept that human beings are individuals with their own sensibilities and cultural references or continue to endlessly squabble to the benefit of none of the competing parties.

So if there is one thing that even an atheist like me can agree on with the religious folks is that we need to treat each other as we would like to be treated. But that also means recognizing our faults as human beings, be that in micro or as a society so that we can continue to find a more perfect way of establishing the common ground that will enable man to keep moving forward.

/end sermon.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
This thread proves one thing:

Mankind is millions of years along in its evolution and yet we have not forsaken the capacity to stand just outside the doorway of the cave and engage in third grade level mutual recrimination.

Also, just what is northern vs. southern culture?

My mom's side of the family is from Arkansas via South Carolina. Arkansas isn't culturally the same as Tennessee and Tennessee isn't culturally the same as Louisiana and Louisiana in no way resembles the culture of neighboring Texas and none of those is like Florida.

My dad's side of the family is from Pennsylvania, which isn't like Massachusetts which isn't like New York which isn't like California which isn't like Montana which isn't like Illinois. So just what is northern culture?

As far as racism goes, well, one of the biggest hate group areas is Riverside County, CA. Indiana is still a prominent KKK state. Yeah, in Texas, you had white police officers pulling over black motorists and threatening to frame them with phony drug charges unless they surrendered their car to the state, too. And I'm sure that up front racism is not morally any better than its covert counterpart.

The natural fact is that idiocy is everywhere. So is brilliance and so is just flat average. Where people grew up is going to imbue them with certain reference points, be they religious, philosophical, geographical and cultural. Every grouping of people has its own culture, whether it is one of four buddies who work at McDonalds to the larger assemblages of folks who congregate at churches or in political campaigns. All business entities that I have worked for tended to foster bunker mentalities.

As Erich Fromme once observed in his book "Escape from Freedom," folks loathe anomie and crave structures that define them and give them a sense of place and belonging. Of course, there are a myriad of possible structures that can occur to perform that job. And so what we see being exhibited here is competition between those structures. That gives rise to two choices: either just accept that human beings are individuals with their own sensibilities and cultural references or continue to endlessly squabble to the benefit of none of the competing parties.

So if there is one thing that even an atheist like me can agree on with the religious folks is that we need to treat each other as we would like to be treated. But that also means recognizing our faults as human beings, be that in micro or as a society so that we can continue to find a more perfect way of establishing the common ground that will enable man to keep moving forward.

/end sermon.
>>>>>
<<<<<

With wisdom like this I don't think you're as far away from God as you think you are.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM

756 posts, read 1,715,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
There is of course racism in the north and other sections of the U.S., but I have never experienced it so blatantly as in the south. In Tallahassee, I was told by my "friends" at the bar where I hung out that the blacks "knew their place." I was also told this by some people I worked with from Alabama when I lived in Virginia. I recently moved to TN, and was told by my landlord's son that my new neighbor was "white" when I asked what she was like. I was also asked by a state employee that a contract worker she was having come to my house to do work was a black guy and "was that all right?"
Of course, I have heard racist comments from people I know from Maine to Colorado, but no where else is it so ingrained and part of the normal culture than in the south. Yes, people are polite and friendly. But, I am white, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to be other than that and live below the Mason Dixon line.
The worst racism I recently encountered was in CO against the Hispanics that were living there. The daily diatribes agains "those people" turned my stomach. I thought that this section of TN would be different, I guess, because a close friend of mine is from here and she is very kind and accepting. I was very naive. I am now looking to go back north, where at least the racism is covert.
In this town, people don't believe in evolution. A group (from outside of town) put up a billboard here celebrating a recent Darwin anniversary, and someone in the paper was quoted as saying she was just "not going to take it anymore." They put up a billboard saying that they did not come from monkeys. I don't know all the details, because I can't believe this still goes on. However, I went to a small community college 10 yrs ago in VA, and our biology teacher would not teach us the section on evolution, because he didn't believe in it. These are my personal experiences; of course, as many others have said on here, there is a basis in reality for stereotypes but there are exceptions everywhere. I will keep looking for that perfect place for me...
Racism is more prevelant in the north than you would think. When I, a southern transplant, moved to Philadelphia, you wouldn't believe the racist things people would say to me about different races because they thought, "she is from the south so it is ok, she thinks like me." I had bartenders put my beer on the house while they were telling me about their card carrying Aryan nation status-like I had a sheet all ready to pull out or something.

Did I drink the beer? Hell yes! Free beer is free beer after all! Oops, I didn't mean to admit to drinking beer...but, I was out of state so it doesn't count right. ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or