U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,894,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
There is no person on the face of the earth that does not believe in some stereotype to a degree. Both films exploited people (not just Southerners, although they were the focus for half of both films), but they were set up to show their "true colors."

And you somehow make the mental leap that those chosen by Cohen as victims, both for their bigotry and gullibility, somehow represent an entire region of the country.

You are not insightful, simply prejudiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,098,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.

in one word. Yes

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And you somehow make the mental leap that those chosen by Cohen as victims, both for their bigotry and gullibility, somehow represent an entire region of the country.

You are not insightful, simply prejudiced.
So, I must think that all mothers in California will risk their chldren's lives to make some money. Hmm, I don't remember saying that, and if I did I would be as ignorant as the persons in the film. However, I do doubt that you're more likely to find people who think that way in some areas more than others. It's ironic that your insult actually describes the majority of the people portrayed in the two films.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
I would ask someone native to the Southeastern USA how they would answer this question. I know I have visited the Southeast many times, I found many of the people there very friendly, at least first impression wise. I also got the impression now and then, that some would prefer the Southern States were a separate country.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM

167 posts, read 381,037 times
Only gone as for south as New Orleans and that was just for a weekend so can't really comment about them. Used to live in Dallas area though and many stereotypes like old white people paranoid by mexicans and blacks was partly true, they do love their damn nascar and country music there, and some people I met believe that anything not texan or christian is wrong

Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
So, I must think that all mothers in California will risk their chldren's lives to make some money. Hmm, I don't remember saying that, and if I did I would be as ignorant as the persons in the film. However, I do doubt that you're more likely to find people who think that way in some areas more than others. It's ironic that your insult actually describes the majority of the people portrayed in the two films.

I have no idea what other generalized prejudice you may exhibit. As for your last sentence, I think you need to look up the definition of "irony."

Old 08-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would ask someone native to the Southeastern USA how they would answer this question. I know I have visited the Southeast many times, I found many of the people there very friendly, at least first impression wise. I also got the impression now and then, that some would prefer the Southern States were a separate country.
Some...and you would probably find a lot more of that type out West than down here.

The vast majority of that kind of stuff is just tongue-in-cheek and people aren't really serious about it. It's just part of the culture down here to joke about the War of Northern Aggression, etc.

Southerners, real ones, are great storytellers and have a gift for hyperbole and rhetoric that I think is not often appreciated by some not familiar with it.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 PM

On the issue of stereotypes....

I'm as Old South as it gets. I have a ancestral Confederate cavalry sabre, complete with notches earned at Cold Harbor and other such places, hanging over my fireplace. My Southern credentials are beyond question. My accent is authentic. I know how to fry okra.

I also:

hate NASCAR
Do not own chickens
Have two graduate degrees
Do not own a truck
Am not a fundamentalist Christian
Am a socially liberal Democrat/libertarian
Have all my teeth
am not racist (interracial marriage FTW)
did not marry my cousin (see above)
Am not called "Bubba" or "Earl"
DO open doors for ladies, and say "ma'am"
DO have manners
AM proud of my culture and heritage
DON'T think the Civil War WASN'T about slavery but know damn well it was about far more than just that...
DON'T know ANYONE that is in the KKK
Can spot a fake southern accent in movies and tv after 2 second
I HATE country music....

Etc.

Now hear this. I'm far from being the only one down here that fits the above descriptors.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,333 times
Quote:
I have no idea what other generalized prejudice you may exhibit. As for your last sentence, I think you need to look up the definition of "irony."
..and you need to look up the definition of "prejudice."You obviously didn't see the films, or you would understand my last comment. I have no prejudice against anyone, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder and are looking for people to fight. I won't give you the pleasure. Goodbye.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Quote:
Some...and you would probably find a lot more of that type out West than down here.

The vast majority of that kind of stuff is just tongue-in-cheek and people aren't really serious about it. It's just part of the culture down here to joke about the War of Northern Aggression, etc.

Southerners, real ones, are great storytellers and have a gift for hyperbole and rhetoric that I think is not often appreciated by some not familiar with it.
Yes, you will definitely find some people in the West, that would prefer the USA split up. The biggest group I would say live in the Northwest. There has been talk for years of combining Northern Calif above Sacramento, all of Oregon and parts of Washington state and British Columbia into one country. The name of the country would be Cascadia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or