U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,329,827 times

Advertisements

All stereotypes have at least some truth to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,801,371 times
Yeah, I guess in many ways stereotypes have a grain of truth in them, and the thing that stands out is usually the one that is noticed.

I have a gay black friend of mine who says "and by God, Pat, one could say you are a burly, hairy, Irish barbarian!" When in fact I'm the opposite (save the hairy barbarian comment)

PS: I really resent the concept of using genetics to prove one's racial "intelligence", as I am Irish and have an IQ of 155, and consider most of my Irish schoolmates highly intelligent. Ireland has produced more artists, comedians, and cultural icons per capita than any other Western nation, and have been engineers, scientists, artists, and even the President has had at least some of his blood Irish. We are one of hte largest ethnic backgrounds in the USA. SO yeah, ... I guess stereotypes suck LOL.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM

18,648 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
NO, for the 100,000,000th time.
it gets annoying, doesn't it. Stereotypes exist everywhere. It's up to you to see if they are true.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
All stereotypes have at least some truth to them
A very small bit of truth...that's what makes stereotypes so offensive to the majority of people. The majority don't fit the stereotype, no matter which one is in question.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,903,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.

I was born and raised in Florida and Georgia, have a Southern accent, and NONE of the above stereotypes apply to me, anyone in my family, nor to most of the people I know and associate with on a daily basis.

All generalizations are false.

As for the North being better off without the South - I agree. Stop sending people down here. We might just be better off without YOU.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,903,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is some truth to it, but like most stereotypes, they overgeneralize and overexaggerate a bit. All stereotypes however have some base in reality.

This is just an excuse to engage in prejudice, and to remain ignorant.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
I have friends from Arkansas and outside of Atlanta. They joke about the southern stereotypes, it's so funny. I've been on road trips with my friends from Arkansas. Everytime they would see roadkill on the road, in their thickest southern accent they could put on, they would go, "ohhh, look, dinner! let's pull over and get save it for later" For the most part, they aren't that true. But it is true that many of them are religious. My friends from the Atlanta area are very very religious, but luckily don't try to preach to me. Also, they don't tend to say what they feel to me all the time. I think it is true that us NYers are very open about the way we feel; whereas many people from the south don't always tell you. So, like someone had said, there are some truths about stereotypes.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,902,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.
Culturally the South is light years ahead of any other part of the country. Christian is not anti anything but we know what is right and wrong. If that is black and white, so be it. Why don't the rest of you have quality values. Maybe you would be better off if you could change to be like us.

As for science, you have got to be kidding. It is called the Research triangle for a reason. True scientists don't have to lose their morals to improve life in the world.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Culturally the South is light years ahead of any other part of the country. Christian is not anti anything but we know what is right and wrong. If that is black and white, so be it. Why don't the rest of you have quality values. Maybe you would be better off if you could change to be like us.

As for science, you have got to be kidding. It is called the Research triangle for a reason.

The south is light years ahead of the rest of the country??? Please prove this to me. Religion doesn't make an area of the country more superior/further ahead of another area.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,815,907 times
[quote=Strel;8024750]

All generalizations are false.

quote]

Including that one?

Generalizations are just that, general. Sometime they come from nowhere, sometimes they are generally true, but , one should generally be careful about generalizing, and individuals often differ from the general population and sub-populations they belong to and can be offended by generalizations.
At least that's what I've generally found.
And generally, I'm right.
Or at least I choose to believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or