U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM

935 posts, read 1,516,478 times

Advertisements

Human beings, in general, are too different to stereotype. Yes, some may argue that culture does have an impact on large areas, but there are people within the mix that for some reason do not fit these stereotypes. I was born in the South and raised in Appalachia. I lived outside of the states for a while and have traveled to other countries. I will say that yes, sometimes stereotypes are true; but not for everyone. There are some southerners who watch NASCAR and have 9 babies while mooching off welfare (they live down the street from me). There are some southerners who have or will have doctorates in the sciences such as Biology and Chemistry (they are my best friends). In other words, sometimes stereotypes work and sometimes they don't. It depends upon the individual rather than the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM

7,902 posts, read 5,536,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
..and you need to look up the definition of "prejudice."You obviously didn't see the films, or you would understand my last comment. I have no prejudice against anyone, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder and are looking for people to fight. I won't give you the pleasure. Goodbye.
Oh but I did, and I stand very much by my opinion that you are the one that is prejudiced. You've proven it.

I doubt very much you would find arguing with me pleasurable.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM

11,275 posts, read 9,715,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I grew up in Western Kentucky during my child.hood years, and didn't encounter much racial incidents as an Asian Catholic. My friends and classmates rarely ever mentioned the fact of me being Asian or "different", I felt totally felt welcomed and accepted by the local community.

That's definitely more than I can say for SoCal however. Even with my (former) white friends here in California, I was constantly being reminded of the fact that I was an "asian guy", along with the racial baggage that goes along with that. That crap just gets REALLY F'in tiring after awhile.

I was always have to laugh inside whenever I tell people that I grew up in Kentucky, they'll often trot out the same ole "You must have had really bad time, having to deal with all the racists down there!" line. The bitter irony of it all, if they only knew....
It seems the hospitable South has quite a few organized hate groups against black folks. Looks like you would have been fairly safe.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,426,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I grew up in Western Kentucky during my child.hood years, and didn't encounter much racial incidents as an Asian Catholic. My friends and classmates rarely ever mentioned the fact of me being Asian or "different", I felt totally felt welcomed and accepted by the local community.

That's definitely more than I can say for SoCal however. Even with my (former) white friends here in California, I was constantly being reminded of the fact that I was an "asian guy", along with the racial baggage that goes along with that. That crap just gets REALLY F'in tiring after awhile.

I was always have to laugh inside whenever I tell people that I grew up in Kentucky, they'll often trot out the same ole "You must have had really bad time, having to deal with all the racists down there!" line. The bitter irony of it all, if they only knew....
Switch "Western Kentucky" with "Western Pennsylvania," "Asian" with "Black," and switch "California" with "Maryland" and you get my experiences. I know Western PA isn't the South (more like Midwest), it still goes to show that regions with the biggest criticizers of the south's "racist ways" can be some of the most hypocritical places.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,037,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It seems the hospitable South has quite a few organized hate groups against black folks. Looks like you would have been fairly safe.
That really depends, and varies from area to area. Even where I grew up, I was advised to avoid certain counties because they didn't like ANY non-white person...

Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,037,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Switch "Western Kentucky" with "Western Pennsylvania," "Asian" with "Black," and switch "California" with "Maryland" and you get my experiences. I know Western PA isn't the South (more like Midwest), it still goes to show that regions with the biggest criticizers of the south's "racist ways" can be some of the most hypocritical places.
Like that old saying goes...

"He who is without sin cast the first stone", or something like that...

Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 9,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4559 View Post
I was born a Southerner in S.W. Georgia. I also spent 14 years in New Jersey. What I have found is that the North can be more closed minded in some areas than the South in regards to prejuidices. I am not talking about NYC, where anything and everything goes, I am talking about mid to small sized towns like Trenton or Burlington or Freehold., etc.

The major differences that set the South apart are rooted in God, family and Country. Communities are tight knit because they have watched generations grow up in the same town. The lack of industry keeps people from moving into these communities and therefore leaves the natives to their own devices for survival, normally a rut that each family group is born into and rarely traverses unless they leave for a life elsewhere.
The truth is the South can be closed to the outsider because the community structure doesn't like radical change. People are content with the lifestyle they are comfortable with. Now I am talking about populations under 10,000. Survival and acceptance here is more about the lifestyle than the person. To thrive here there are some things you need to understand.

1. This is the Bible belt. There are Churches on every corner for a reason. You are expected to go to Church. Pick one and go at least 2-3 times a week if possible. A good "God Revering and God fearing" person is part of the Southern fabric. This means that you subscribe to and agree with the teachings of the Bible.

2. Family. No matter what, family is the core. You will take care of your children and teach them necessary survival skills in case things go backwards...i.e. hunting, fishing, farming and other life lessons. With the amount of land and lack of industry, this is not only for survival, it is recreational. Everyone knows how to live off the land, also part of the teachings in the Bible. Appreciation of God's creation.

3. Country. Southerner's are patriotic. No, not the rebel yelling Civil War type of patriotism, but real Military support. If you want to know how the South feels about the Military, ask one of them. We love and support our Troops. While we might not agree with the politics of war, we will support the people that defend our freedom on any given day. Troops are sacred. They [ay the ultimate sacrafice. This is something that the South has clung to for years because we can identify with the fighting spirit because we will all still fight to hold onto our culture now. God, family, country.

4. We are conservatives. Some by necessity. Some by choice. The laws and rules of the Bible governs. While most cannot conceive the notion of a culture that is not accepting of Gay marriage, strip clubs or the legalization of "pot", you must understand that we view this as against the cultural and religious laws that have been passed down for generations. We feel like we, as Christian's, are under attack from radicals that try to impose these radical changes on our culture. While most of us are quiet, there is a general unrest brewing that is combining the forces of all races that are Southern by birth. We feel that our culture is coming under attack.

5. Politically the South feels that these new gun laws are a way to disarm us and trample our Constitution (Patriotism). We, as a WHOLE culture combining all races, feel threatened. There is a general unrest brewing and it travels a lot farther into the mid section of the Country than most realize.

Remember, we are patriotic and believe in the 2nd amendment rights. We use guns for hunting and recreation, and have a lot less crime than the rest of the country. The reason we don't have much crime because everyone owns guns and everyone knows it. Most of the gun crimes are committed in the areas of the country that support gun bans.
Also, we live in racial peace. It is rare now that we have any racial problems, but when one does arise, we are pounded in the news about it to reinforce that the South needs change. Wow. I saw more racial tensions up North than I have ever seen here, yet we are living with the stigma that has been passed for generations of thought elsewhere.
First of all, when is the South going to learn that religion has ZERO place in politics? Yes, I do acknowledge that religion is an extremely important aspect of people lives, especially in the South, but tell your minister/priest/deacon/etc, that he should stay the hell out of politics. This country allows a freedom of religion by the 1st Amendment, so insisting that the Bible is part of life infringes upon people's 1st Amendment rights.

Secondly, I really don't think gun control is "trampling over the Constitution", which makes you sound hypocritical since you demand that people "agree to the teachings of the Bible". People should be held to a standard of responsibility if they are to own a firearm. I don't believe the government is trying to take your firearms away. However, I do believe in very strict requirements in order to get one. Gun shows, for instance, indirectly bypass some requirements, and this is a big problem.

And the South has lower crime than the rest of the country? You might want to brush up on your research there. Your crime is not low because everyone owns guns, it exacerbates the problem. In fact, from the 2009 CQ Press, 7 of the 8 worst states for crime are in the south. While northern cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington are known for their high violent crimes, bear in mind that places like Birmingham, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas are very violent as well and property crimes (car thefts, robbery, arson) are double or even triple numbers found in the north.

Yes, I live in New Jersey, which has extremely notorious places like Camden, Newark, and Trenton, but 90% of New Jersey is very safe. People can talk about how gun violence is bad in these places (which it surely is), and that gun control needs to be stopped, but I can assure you that this not the solution to the problem. A solution is to strike a balance between gun rights and gun control. Guns should be registered to those with zero criminal record, and should be licensed in every state that the owner wants to carry a gun in. And the theory that gun crimes are committed in areas that support gun bans is bogus. New Jersey and New York each had a homicide rate of 4.3 per 100,000 - much lower than Louisiana's 11.9, Mississippi's 8.1, Alabama's 7.6, South Carolina's 6.8, Tennessee's and Georgia's 6.6. This directly contradicts the logic you have presented.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM

374 posts, read 354,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NewAmerica View Post
Northern liberals are just as rigid in their thinking as Southern conservatives. Basically, they're both wrong. Only we right-wing atheists are correct.

Northern whites do have higher IQs, being more of German, Scandinavian and Jewish stock rather than Scotch Irish. Westerners aren't particularly bright either. See:

Many Eyes: Estimated white IQ by state (US)

Nor is either group more objective or "pro-science". Southerners may reject evolution but Northern liberals seem to reject genetics entirely, believing that the races and genders are really just the same.
You're preaching eugenics, Adolf.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
You're preaching eugenics, Adolf.
Somehow I don't think that they will consider that an insult.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM

2,708 posts, read 2,200,664 times
A lot of morons on this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.