U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser9878 View Post
The Southern cites and Northern cities what they have in common is they have negroes. But the Southern cities are not cold. When it's cold the negroes are inside for a 3 or 4 months.
Still living in the past, eh? It's thing like this which give the South a bad reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Yeah , Negroes . Like in The United Negro College Fund , or the National Negro Congress , The National Council of Negro Women , etc. , etc.
Negro IS a real word .
I'm sure everyone realizes that, but the context he used it in? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM

403 posts, read 469,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser9878 View Post
The Southern cites and Northern cities what they have in common is they have negroes. But the Southern cities are not cold. When it's cold the negroes are inside for a 3 or 4 months.
if you can call me a "negro"
can i call you a "******"?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
if you can call me a "negro"
can i call you a "******"?

I'm not sure exactly what a "******" is, but you could be offending a whole different group just to get back at one ignorant person. You don't fight ignorance with ignorace...you fight it with education.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Yeah , Negroes . Like in The United Negro College Fund , or the National Negro Congress , The National Council of Negro Women , etc. , etc.
Negro IS a real word .
Those are old groups. It's not unusual to find elderly people, black or white, use the term "Negro."

However even with that in mind the usage in the post was pretty condescending. The post still sounds that way if you translate it to modern terms, observe

The Southern cites and Northern cities what they have in common is they have African-Americans. But the Southern cities are not cold. When it's cold the African-Americans are inside for a 3 or 4 months.

See it still sounds rather sweeping and odd. To make it clearer compare the modernized version of storm's post to this news article from 1953.

Negroes, in the phrase of the sociologists, have "high social visibility." But their lives are in effect invisible to most Americans, who rarely bother to look behind the Color Curtain at the Negroes' homes, their places of work or worship, or their spirit.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-18-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,938,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Still living in the past, eh? It's thing like this which give the South a bad reputation.
I am curious why you assume he is from the south?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM

73 posts, read 147,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.
no southerners are not (all) backwoods hillbillies who stockpile weapons and think the government will take over we are though a little stubborn (well i am anyway lived in the south my whole life) but most of us are pretty smart just as smart as northerners

Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,408,391 times
Because of my former livelyhoods in both semi-pro baseball, and then music, I've lived in and passed through about 20 different states over the past 20 years. These locales rnge from the Pacific Northwest (class AA ball in Medford, OR) to Los Angeles, CA (session drummer for Arista records) to Orlando, FLA (more baseball) to Nashville, TN (drummer with a c & w band) and then down to the Greatest City in the USA: Austin, TX, where I now reside. And the one constant about all these diverse locations that I can attest to is this: people are pretty much the same everywhere. We all have the same needs and fears and hopes and dreams. Oh, our politics may be a bit different, but that's really just fluff. After all, a person's politics and socio-economic views are usually based on what they want or need out of life, as well as on what they fear and dislike or mistrust.
I've met ignorant rednecks in Los Angeles, as well as opera-loving, wine-sipping Ph.D's in Amarillo, TX. I've met hostile skinhead neo-Nazis in ultra-liberal Oregon, and card-carrying pacifist ACLU members in the Deep South. And here in Austin, my city is trule schizophrenic: we boast an eclectic mix of southern-fried good ol' boys, high tech yupsters, bunny-hugging hippies, shiftless musicians (yours truly), hardworking--and lazy--Mexicans, and hard-partying & Hook 'Em Horns Proud University of Texas Students. All 50,000 of 'em.
Anyone who has travelled extensively will attest to what I say. It has always seemed to me that's it's the sheltered, less-travelled people who from the stereotypes about the rest of the country.
Peace.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM

73 posts, read 147,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Because of my former livelyhoods in both semi-pro baseball, and then music, I've lived in and passed through about 20 different states over the past 20 years. These locales rnge from the Pacific Northwest (class AA ball in Medford, OR) to Los Angeles, CA (session drummer for Arista records) to Orlando, FLA (more baseball) to Nashville, TN (drummer with a c & w band) and then down to the Greatest City in the USA: Austin, TX, where I now reside. And the one constant about all these diverse locations that I can attest to is this: people are pretty much the same everywhere. We all have the same needs and fears and hopes and dreams. Oh, our politics may be a bit different, but that's really just fluff. After all, a person's politics and socio-economic views are usually based on what they want or need out of life, as well as on what they fear and dislike or mistrust.
I've met ignorant rednecks in Los Angeles, as well as opera-loving, wine-sipping Ph.D's in Amarillo, TX. I've met hostile skinhead neo-Nazis in ultra-liberal Oregon, and card-carrying pacifist ACLU members in the Deep South. And here in Austin, my city is trule schizophrenic: we boast an eclectic mix of southern-fried good ol' boys, high tech yupsters, bunny-hugging hippies, shiftless musicians (yours truly), hardworking--and lazy--Mexicans, and hard-partying & Hook 'Em Horns Proud University of Texas Students. All 50,000 of 'em.
Anyone who has travelled extensively will attest to what I say. It has always seemed to me that's it's the sheltered, less-travelled people who from the stereotypes about the rest of the country.
Peace.
i think people up north have more streeotypes than the south

Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.
Firstly, there are people like that all over the country no matter where you go. I remember when I lived in San Francisco, this guy at my work who was born and raised right in the city fit that description perfectly, so that type of person is not exclusive to south. Personally, I don't think the majority of the south really fits that. Obviously you will find some people like that in the south, and in bigger numbers than other regions in the country, but that stereotype definitely does not represent the majority of southerners. Most southerners I've met have always been nice people who were very welcoming and genuine.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,401,146 times
As a fellow southerner, I can say there is much to dislike about the south. For one, 80% + of the excutions in the United States are in the south, that's a fact, and the overwhelming majority of them are in Texas. Florida also has alot of them. The south is the most conservative of the area, so if you are looking for a hippie environment(and I hate to stereotype like that) you aint gonna find it here LOL. Also, we are definitely the most religious. OH last but not least, there are not much diverse areas. Of course South Florida(Miami, Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale) is very diverse w/ many south american Immigrants, and Orlando is diverse. Also, the houston and DFW areas in Texas have a nice diversity. But for the most part, People GENERALLY live around their own colour. It may or may not be because of prejudice.

However, there is much to be enjoyed such as the slow pace lifestyle, the cooking(and baby, you havent seen southern cooking until you've come to south Louisiana), and people are not as aggressive. And believe it or not, most conservatives that I know are actually cool people. They are ususally moderate conservatives(meaning, if they for example disagree w/ gay marriage, they are not going to go out of their way to stop it from occuring)

So you see, peeps, I just acknowledged some of the pros and cons of the area. However, I hate it when people just say we are all rednecks, we all **** our siblings, we don't know what fine dining is(and we know bbq aint gormet food, but I love a nice bbq btw). The vast majority of us, do not engage in incest, that's disgusting, and most of us do not think that dressing up is jeans and a sweater. Oh and WE DON'T ALL LISTEN TO COUNTRY MUSIC. And why do people think we all have accents? I don't have one, well atleast not a twangy one, but I do use the word "yall", I'm from LAKE CHARLES for crying out loud.

There are many things I could list that I hate that people think about us

Like we don't have all of our teeth
We say "edumacated" instead of "educated"
We all carry confederate flags(well I do see those around contraband days and sometimes during the mardi gras season)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or