U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Since when was Indiana considered a southern state?
Southern Indiana is pretty much the South. Someone from Alabama would not feel very out of place here in terms of the overall culture and attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM

154 posts, read 342,540 times
Who ever wants, can try to turn upseide down what I said, but I grew up in the south and my dad was an evangelical preacher....so I would know. It is amusing that someone would attempt to refute all my comments (eccchh-eemmm ...starsandstripes) lol.

Regardless of Jesus being considered a "jew" or not, Extreme Christians usually like Jews...Anyone who is a true southerner being raised in a Christian community would know that.

The south lovvve their food and care less about sticking to unfried, grease free, unpackaged snacks and meals....Anyone living in the south should also know that.

I gave very blunt and honest comments and input based on growing up in the south (NOT IN A LARGE SOUTHERN CITY). SO maybe my experiences and knowledge are little more small town and gritty than Mr. Stars and Stripes are...I dunno.

If you want to argue, find some yankee doodle who will be convinced you know what you are talking about. ,.....Go get em Tiger!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
Who ever wants, can try to turn upseide down what I said, but I grew up in the south and my dad was an evangelical preacher....so I would know. It is amusing that someone would attempt to refute all my comments (eccchh-eemmm ...starsandstripes) lol.

Regardless of Jesus being considered a "jew" or not, Extreme Christians usually like Jews...Anyone who is a true southerner being raised in a Christian community would know that.

The south lovvve their food and care less about sticking to unfried, grease free, unpackaged snacks and meals....Anyone living in the south should also know that.

I gave very blunt and honest comments and input based on growing up in the south (NOT IN A LARGE SOUTHERN CITY). SO maybe my experiences and knowledge are little more small town and gritty than Mr. Stars and Stripes are...I dunno.

If you want to argue, find some yankee doodle who will be convinced you know what you are talking about. ,.....Go get em Tiger!
I've only been to the south (NC, SC, GA, TX) a few times in my life (not counting numerous trips to Florida) and what I remember most is the food.

Everything's fried, cooked with fat, vegetables with bacon and ham, gravies made with cream...it was wonderful. And peaches and plums bought from a roadside stand in Georgia that were the best I've ever tasted.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
One stereotype which remains and will carry on is that Southerners could care less about what anyone thinks!

Call this ol' Okie backward and out of touch, but I'm totally fine with that sentiment.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 PM

144 posts, read 223,824 times
The negative southern stereotypes exist for a reason because stereotypes are based on some kind of truth. However, based on my experiences, the people who make fun of the south the most tend to fit the negative southern stereotypes more so than the southerners they are putting down.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Now you sound quite a bit more reasonable about it all, and I commend and thank you for it. Here is my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think I clearly said what I thought was inappropriate about it.
And clearly said why I believed it to be an entirely appropriate question on my part. This is what is known as a "Mexican stand-off" LOL

Quote:
I don't instantly sympathize with people who charge racism...in fact I'm almost positive whomever made the post you quoted was probably a troll account. I just speak up when I believe others say things which are uncalled for. Just because one person is saying somethign wrong doesn't give you the right to do the same. I try to be even-handed, and will defend places that I'm not necessarily crazy about. I'm pretty luke-warm on Atlanta but have defended it numerous times against what I would consider unfair criticism....
You seem to be at loggerheads with yourself here, to be honest. If you believe the person was a troll (and it sounds like you may have looked up some of the person's post), then my reply was not uncalled for at all. If anything, your original reply to me -- on the topic -- was the one that was mis-guided and mis-directed.

Quote:
...and to be perfectly honest, I just like to be contrarian sometimes.
Perhaps you might consider counselling, reckon? (just kidding a bit and being a little "contrary" in my own turn! ).

Quote:
Definitely not. But I don't think they should instantly have their claim be put into question either. From what I saw, he was simply talking about Alabama, and not the entire south (which for this thread I would consider "everywhere"). Maybe he/she should have gone into more detail as to the exact location in Alabama, but whatever.
As you seem to allude to, as the whole thread is about Southern "stereotypes" then it would just stand to reason -- don't you think -- that the whole South (however defined) is the target of the same. But anyway, yes, the poster should have gone into more detail as to where in Alabama and more specificially what he, personally, experienced. Which was the whole point of my counter-reply.

Quote:
I don't. In fact what he said probably wasn't true. Like you said he didn't back up his claim. I think reasonable people who read a statement on the internet don't see support for the claim, they won't put much stock into it. Same goes for a small number of posts, no profile, etc...on the other hand, you can probably make a few claims without backing them up because you've got a full profile, and 6,000+ posts. However at the same time you're going to be held to a higher standard.
Well, at least you are acknowleging that post in question was very likely to be bogus in many regards. I have a hunch (perhaps it is wrong) that you probably did look over some of that particular persons posts (very alliterative, huh? LOL) and arrive at the conclusion you did (the bolded part). And I appreciate that you seemingly hold me to a "higher standard". Not withstanding that it is a bit condecending to put it that way (but no problem at all; that is an extremely minor point of contention), the real issue between us (meaning you and me) is that I do not consider it "out of line" to expect that someone who makes such serious allegations to have to back up what they say. Or at least make an attempt to do the same. And this hold true whether the person has 6000 posts or six. Don't you agree?

Quote:
Oh I totally agree with what you're saying. There are tons of people who will do things like that to just take advantage of the system. However if you're going to ask a question, at least let the person answer it.
And to repeat once again, the person was given the opportunity to reply. They didn't. This is not like "real life" where it is a conversation and one can pause to allow the other person to respond verbally. So I am really not sure what you mean by this "let the person answer it". The person has every chance to do it at any time they desire. In fact, I would like nothing more than the poster to come back and reply. By all means, if you know this person, then invite them to do so.

But again, here is an example of the type threads started by "WavinFlag""

Will my ethnic background be a really big deal if I want to date women in Southern California?

A guy is 20 and has not had a girlfriend, first kiss, or sex before, what happens to guys like that?

The area of the US I live in has made me a jealous and bitter individual, what to do?

Isn't the general pattern a bit obvious?

If this guy's issues -- seemingly "racism" and no one likes him -- are truly real, then I would be the first to sympathize and offer support (hell, I am a teacher and didn't get into it to get rich but to help kids, so I am not a callous person by any means). But there is just TOO much in this tapestry he weaves to take seriously. Or else the poster just wants to stir up crap under the guise of being a "victim" of every one else.

Hell, he even contradicts himself. Note in one post he speaks of how he was physically attacked in Alabama (well, at least in THAT case, he provides an "example" of his so-called "experiences") for dating a white girl from New York...yet in others claims he has never even had a girlfriend. Here are an example of the said contrasts:

From the age of 13 to now (I am 18) my family and I have been living in Alabama. Not much to do here, we are minorities (not Black or White) and I have to admit I have faced quite a bit of racism. One time when I was in high school, I was attacked by some White males (physically) because the girl who I was going out with at the time was White (she was from New York).

But then...

I am 18 and almost going to be 19 very soon. I have not had a girlfriend before, no first kiss, no sex or anything but I certainly do not want to be the guy who marries the first girl he dates, I have to experiment. Eitherways enough about me, I just want to get information on the topic.

So what else can be made of all this except to recall the words of some wise fellow who once said something like "oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive."? What else can be made of it all?

I am stopping just short of calling this guy a troll (because I got an infraction notice once before for doing such...and learned my lesson), so I will just say that something is radically wrong with this person's posts, and he is not to be taken seriously. In fact, is probably laughing at how many he is conning! I mean, I don't know how else to take this person given the posts (which, again, please check out)

Quote:
I will admit I was a lot less "outraged" than I made myself out to be with my post...however I still think it was wrong.
And I think you were wrong. Regardless though, hell, I am not a hard person to get along with, so -- in the spirit of the New South --let's just let the bugles sound truce, ok? We have both spoken our piece!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-20-2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
The negative southern stereotypes exist for a reason because stereotypes are based on some kind of truth. However, based on my experiences, the people who make fun of the south the most tend to fit the negative southern stereotypes more so than the southerners they are putting down.
Stereotypes all have some truth to the, but the sterotypes for the south are dated. The south of today is more in line of that with the rest of the country.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post

I'm a mid 30s, southern born and raised individual who is a Christian. I'm not disagreeing with your comment on Christians fawning over the Jews, my point is that many are misguided severely on the issues related to the translations that took place into "Jews" and are ignorant of the history of the Jews, as well as the true lineage of Jesus.

I verified your comment that there are more obese people in the south. I didn't deny that, but have noticed over the years that when I visit locations outside the south, the differences in waist line are becoming less noticeable. It's obvious that we love our fried food.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,185,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
One stereotype which remains and will carry on is that Southerners could care less about what anyone thinks!

Call this ol' Okie backward and out of touch, but I'm totally fine with that sentiment.
I'm not so sure about that. Whenever a thread like this pops up, Southerners sure seem to get bent out of shape about it. And from my personal experience, I'd label the ones I know as "overly sensitive".

Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Now you sound quite a bit more reasonable about it all, and I commend and thank you for it. Here is my reply:

And clearly said why I believed it to be an entirely appropriate question on my part. This is what is known as a "Mexican stand-off" LOL

You seem to be at loggerheads with yourself here, to be honest. If you believe the person was a troll (and it sounds like you may have looked up some of the person's post), then my reply was not uncalled for at all. If anything, your original reply to me -- on the topic -- was the one that was mis-guided and mis-directed.

Perhaps you might consider counselling, reckon? (just kidding a bit and being a little "contrary" in my own turn! ).

As you seem to allude to, as the whole thread is about Southern "stereotypes" then it would just stand to reason -- don't you think -- that the whole South (however defined) is the target of the same. But anyway, yes, the poster should have gone into more detail as to where in Alabama and more specificially what he, personally, experienced. Which was the whole point of my counter-reply.

Well, at least you are acknowleging that post in question was very likely to be bogus in many regards. I have a hunch (perhaps it is wrong) that you probably did look over some of that particular persons posts (very alliterative, huh? LOL) and arrive at the conclusion you did (the bolded part). And I appreciate that you seemingly hold me to a "higher standard". Not withstanding that it is a bit condecending to put it that way (but no problem at all; that is an extremely minor point of contention), the real issue between us (meaning you and me) is that I do not consider it "out of line" to expect that someone who makes such serious allegations to have to back up what they say. Or at least make an attempt to do the same. And this hold true whether the person has 6000 posts or six. Don't you agree?

And to repeat once again, the person was given the opportunity to reply. They didn't. This is not like "real life" where it is a conversation and one can pause to allow the other person to respond verbally. So I am really not sure what you mean by this "let the person answer it". The person has every chance to do it at any time they desire. In fact, I would like nothing more than the poster to come back and reply. By all means, if you know this person, then invite them to do so.

But again, here is an example of the type threads started by "WavinFlag""

Will my ethnic background be a really big deal if I want to date women in Southern California?

A guy is 20 and has not had a girlfriend, first kiss, or sex before, what happens to guys like that?

The area of the US I live in has made me a jealous and bitter individual, what to do?

Isn't the general pattern a bit obvious?

If this guy's issues -- seemingly "racism" and no one likes him -- are truly real, then I would be the first to sympathize and offer support (hell, I am a teacher and didn't get into it to get rich but to help kids, so I am not a callous person by any means). But there is just TOO much in this tapestry he weaves to take seriously. Or else the poster just wants to stir up crap under the guise of being a "victim" of every one else.

Hell, he even contradicts himself. Note in one post he speaks of how he was physically attacked in Alabama (well, at least in THAT case, he provides an "example" of his so-called "experiences") for dating a white girl from New York...yet in others claims he has never even had a girlfriend. Here are an example of the said contrasts:

From the age of 13 to now (I am 18) my family and I have been living in Alabama. Not much to do here, we are minorities (not Black or White) and I have to admit I have faced quite a bit of racism. One time when I was in high school, I was attacked by some White males (physically) because the girl who I was going out with at the time was White (she was from New York).

But then...

I am 18 and almost going to be 19 very soon. I have not had a girlfriend before, no first kiss, no sex or anything but I certainly do not want to be the guy who marries the first girl he dates, I have to experiment. Eitherways enough about me, I just want to get information on the topic.

So what else can be made of all this except to recall the words of some wise fellow who once said something like "oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive."? What else can be made of it all?

I am stopping just short of calling this guy a troll (because I got an infraction notice once before for doing such...and learned my lesson), so I will just say that something is radically wrong with this person's posts, and he is not to be taken seriously. In fact, is probably laughing at how many he is conning! I mean, I don't know how else to take this person given the posts (which, again, please check out)

And I think you were wrong. Regardless though, hell, I am not a hard person to get along with, so -- in the spirit of the New South --let's just let the bugles sound truce, ok? We have both spoken our piece!
Sounds like a plan! I can't respond to the rest...too much to talk about haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or