U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,052,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Whenever a thread like this pops up, Southerners sure seem to get bent out of shape about it. And from my personal experience, I'd label the ones I know as "overly sensitive".
That's alright, I am sure about it. Settled. Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,904,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I've heard the same crap recycled again and again by southerners who try to brush off slavery, and claim that the Civil War was only a states rights issue and slavery had nothing to do with it. Sorry man, people who weren't brainwashed on that stuff from outside the south don't believe it.

By the way, did you do some scientific polling on the popularity of slavery in the north in the 1800's? All I know is that most southern whites hated the idea of the civil rights legislation, and it was a major reason why they defected from the Democratic Party. Why do you think the GOP adopted the Southern Strategy? It was to appeal to southern whites, who didn't support civil rights (to put it very mildly).

Apparently you have forgotten that all this ended many many years ago. Looks like someone is still living in the past. Also why do you have so much prejudice and hostility towards the south and people of the south (cause that sure is how it comes across)?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 PM

2,397 posts, read 2,110,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Apparently you have forgotten that all this ended many many years ago. Looks like someone is still living in the past. Also why do you have so much prejudice and hostility towards the south and people of the south (cause that sure is how it comes across)?
A lot on this forum are very anti-southern. It's disgusting, you know.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 PM

205 posts, read 189,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.
sounds about right. The southerners i've known for the most part are very closed minded. When I lived in new england people were more accepting than down here
***edit*** not to mention people are friendlier up north than in the south

Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
sounds about right. The southerners i've known for the most part are very closed minded. When I lived in new england people were more accepting than down here

Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM

15,394 posts, read 21,471,703 times
Giiit me another Mountain Dew!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 5 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,308,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclipsedheart View Post
Then why do you live down here and not up there? Fair question, wouldn't you say?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,568,540 times
There are certainly reasons for many stereotypes. By and large, I do think that southerners are a conservative lot. But they're not as rigid as you think. The liberal and open-minded section exists. It's just that the conservative section is a lot louder. In fact in the large cities like Houston, Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, the liberals outnumber the conservatives.

You'll note that most of those cities are in Texas. We've got lots of assumptions about Texas too. People think the whole state is a desert and that we still ride horses and wear cowboy hats. Those stereotypes are absolutely not true.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
There are certainly reasons for many stereotypes. By and large, I do think that southerners are a conservative lot. But they're not as rigid as you think. The liberal and open-minded section exists. It's just that the conservative section is a lot louder. In fact in the large cities like Houston, Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, the liberals outnumber the conservatives.

You'll note that most of those cities are in Texas. We've got lots of assumptions about Texas too. People think the whole state is a desert and that we still ride horses and wear cowboy hats. Those stereotypes are absolutely not true.
Among whites in the metros of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, conservatives far outnumber liberals. In Atlanta, I'd say the metro is 50-50, in terms of conservatives to liberal, only because the non-white population is so high. The north side is about 75% conservative at least, with some areas being as high as 95% conservative.

If it weren't for blacks and Mexicans, liberals would represent about ten percent of the South, at most.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM

2,120 posts, read 2,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
If it weren't for blacks and Mexicans, liberals would represent about ten percent of the South, at most.
I thought Mexicans tend to camp on the conservative side of the fence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.