U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I thought Mexicans tend to camp on the conservative side of the fence?
In most surveys, the report voting for Democrats anywhere from sixty to eighty percent of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 PM

274 posts, read 293,484 times
One funny and ironic thing to me is that the legislatures of most of the Deep South states have been dominated by the Democratic party for well over the 160+ year history of most of the states and outsiders bash us for what we've become as states and regions. Alabama, for example, just voted in a Republican House, Senate, and Governor for the first time in well over 100 years. Maybe having full Republican rule will change our fortunes because a Democratic majority (you know...the all knowing party that solves every problem due to their brilliance) has failed the state for far too long.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Among whites in the metros of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, conservatives far outnumber liberals. In Atlanta, I'd say the metro is 50-50, in terms of conservatives to liberal, only because the non-white population is so high. The north side is about 75% conservative at least, with some areas being as high as 95% conservative.

If it weren't for blacks and Mexicans, liberals would represent about ten percent of the South, at most.
I think your numbers may be old. Dallas has voted straight-ticket Democrat the last 3 presidential elections. Dallas is the most liberal city in Texas, according to the Bay Area Voting Research study:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf

It is 32nd most liberal in its voting patterns compared to other cities in the country. Los Angeles is number 37. Atlanta is 31.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I think your numbers may be old. Dallas has voted straight-ticket Democrat the last 3 presidential elections. Dallas is the most liberal city in Texas, according to the Bay Area Voting Research study:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf

It is 32nd most liberal in its voting patterns compared to other cities in the country. Los Angeles is number 37. Atlanta is 31.
I'm talking about the metro area, not the actual city.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 686 times
Default Possible Answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm with ya here on this one, Friend.

I don't know why that is so odd for some women to hear something nice and pleasant from someone else....I call my wife's friends "Sweetie" without even thinking about it. Lordy, I know with all the junk our ladies hear/deal with throughout the day, they think it's nice to hear something gentle and encouraging. It's just part of the culture here in these parts (OK/TX/AR) and a very tender/honoring way to relate to the opposite sex if you ask me.

It's a mystery to me why some Northern/Western/Eastern/ Midwestern women would struggle with this? Any Northern/Western/Eastern/Midwestern women that can shed some light on this for us? Do ya'll view this as portraying females as weak/frail or something?

I'm sad to say that with each passing year it seems more and more acceptable to disrespect women in our country (especially in the North, West, East, and Midwest) and hence, they get hardened to men that want to nurture them.

As for me, I'll take after my elderly Daddy who still stands in honor of my mom when she enters the room. That's the kinda chivalry that still exists in the South. I don't know if it's anywhere else.

I currently live in Raleigh, NC, but I was born and raised in New Jersey, and lived in South Philly for a few years, so I think I could possibly shed some light on why some women and maybe even men might struggle with the honey, hon, sweetie, and the like.

In the North, unlike in the South, those terms are on many occasions, used when you are being sarcastic or telling someone to 'back off', usually when you are very annoyed and are not in a position or place to actually tell a person off. Usually used in the context of the following with a sarcastic tone: Listen honey.... I bet you are sweetie... or something along those lines.

Of course, in some situations, those same words are taken as a term of endearment, but mostly with significant others that are trusted and loved.

Oddly enough, that is exactly how I wound up finding this site! I recently started dating a southern man that just used the term 'sweetie' when sending me a text, and I was wondering if he was being disrespectful to me, so I googled it! lol....It is a shame that the North and the South view things so differently. After all we are all Americans.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl10 View Post

Oddly enough, that is exactly how I wound up finding this site! I recently started dating a southern man that just used the term 'sweetie' when sending me a text, and I was wondering if he was being disrespectful to me, so I googled it! lol....It is a shame that the North and the South view things so differently. After all we are all Americans.
Wow I never would have thought it was that serious.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Weird, I lived in the South all my life until recently, and almost never did I hear men using the terms "sweetie", "honey", etc. with women other than their wives or with little kids. In fact, just about a year ago I was on a plane flying into Memphis, and the guy sitting next to me (with a very thick Southern accent) kept calling the flight attendants "sweetie" and "honey" and I kept thinking "Wtf is up with this guy?" I mean, I knew he wasn't using the terms in a condescending or sarcastic way, it just sounded really weird to me. Since then I've heard a friend use the terms flirtatiously with women he was trying to pick up, and that always just sounded creepy to me. Usually the only people I had heard use those terms with adult strangers were older Southern women working in gas stations. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or