U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Ouch!

Sorry Deacon, I was workin' for you, Brother.

Just before, when I was coming back from dropping my students off at lunch, a crackhead on the street was saying some stuff to me. I talked back to him. So someone from the Atlanta suburbs isn't anything compared to what I've seen

But anyway, back to stereotypes...there are a lot of wrong stereotypes about NYers, so I would think there are a lot of wrong stereoytpes about people in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Just before, when I was coming back from dropping my students off at lunch, a crackhead on the street was saying some stuff to me. I talked back to him. So someone from the Atlanta suburbs isn't anything compared to what I've seen

But anyway, back to stereotypes...there are a lot of wrong stereotypes about NYers, so I would think there are a lot of wrong stereoytpes about people in the south.
>>>>>
<<<<<

You hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,902,502 times
Quote:
>>>>>
<<<<<

You hit the nail on the head.

I've met some people from NY/NJ who, because of their accents, get hassled in other parts of the country. Everyone asks them if they are in the Mafia, etc.

One would think that would turn them on to the idea that their own views of a Southern accent are perhaps not accurate and based on a long-standing and baseless prejudice and ignorance.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,401,835 times
Rachael84 originally said:

But anyway, back to stereotypes...there are a lot of wrong stereotypes about NYers, so I would think there are a lot of wrong stereoytpes about people in the south. [End Quote]

Here's one stereotype that seems to hold true. Most native New Yorkers have a superiority complex as if NY is the center of the universe. New Yorkers, especially here in CA, feel the need to tell you where they're from. As if we care and as if we can't tell.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Culturally the South is light years ahead of any other part of the country. Christian is not anti anything but we know what is right and wrong. If that is black and white, so be it. Why don't the rest of you have quality values. Maybe you would be better off if you could change to be like us.

As for science, you have got to be kidding. It is called the Research triangle for a reason. True scientists don't have to lose their morals to improve life in the world.
Yikes. Light years ahead culturally? Change to be more like the South? Why would other parts want to culturally change to be more like the Southeast? The most religious part of the country, that one that "knows what is right and wrong" also happens to have very high crime rates. Don't get me wrong, the South is beautiful and I love it, I just don't agree with that statement.

Generally I've found that most educated Southerners don't fit the stereotype of being ignorant, ass-backwards people. Most are conservative and religious, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The only problem with the religious right--and they're everywhere, not just the South--is the sometimes overwhelming attempts to get others to convert religions. The most common stereotype that I have found to be truth in Southerners is "Southern Hospitality". However, there are plenty of anti-gay Southerners...but this is true for all regions of the country, even if it is a bit more common there. Liberals are often portrayed as being evil. I remember a campain ad during that smashing another candidate by saying "that's not just liberal, it's very liberal" as if that meant the candidate was going to break into your house and rape your family.

When dealing with people of any region, the least educated people are often the most stereotypical, and the South is no different. The "gap toothed yokul" can be found at any local Wal-Mart. The stereotypes that you listed are very common in this population. However, like I said before, stereotypes are more common in less-educated people. For example, in my area, the less educated people are perfect Boston stereotypes: loud, obnoxious, fight happy drunks.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Quote:
Ouch!

Sorry Deacon, I was workin' for you, Brother.
Oh, I have feelings for her alright...

She may think she's tough confronting people on the streets (like we believe that) and being from the Bronx, but if we were to meet in person I promise she would leave in tears. There are certain people who are just annoying, period, and deserve to be told so.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Quote:

Someone from the suburbs? You're crazy...I haven't even visited a suburb in years. What an ignorant thing to say.

That's a fine example of a teacher for you...talking junk to a crackhead. What kind of school allows crackheads on their campus? And what would she have done if he attacked her?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yikes. Light years ahead culturally? Change to be more like the South? Why would other parts want to culturally change to be more like the Southeast? The most religious part of the country, that one that "knows what is right and wrong" also happens to have very high crime rates. Don't get me wrong, the South is beautiful and I love it, I just don't agree with that statement.

Generally I've found that most educated Southerners don't fit the stereotype of being ignorant, ass-backwards people. Most are conservative and religious, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The only problem with the religious right--and they're everywhere, not just the South--is the sometimes overwhelming attempts to get others to convert religions. The most common stereotype that I have found to be truth in Southerners is "Southern Hospitality". However, there are plenty of anti-gay Southerners...but this is true for all regions of the country, even if it is a bit more common there. Liberals are often portrayed as being evil. I remember a campain ad during that smashing another candidate by saying "that's not just liberal, it's very liberal" as if that meant the candidate was going to break into your house and rape your family.

When dealing with people of any region, the least educated people are often the most stereotypical, and the South is no different. The "gap toothed yokul" can be found at any local Wal-Mart. The stereotypes that you listed are very common in this population. However, like I said before, stereotypes are more common in less-educated people. For example, in my area, the less educated people are perfect Boston stereotypes: loud, obnoxious, fight happy drunks.
The thing I noticed where I live is the "gap-tooth yokul" types tend to not be the same as the Bible-thumpers. A lot of times, the uneducated, poor "rednecks" aren't particularly religious. They engage is behavior that most church folks would look down on. I know many people like that and I have family like that. The Evangelical Christian types tend to be more educated and middle class.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,516,044 times
Gap toothed yokuls may not be the same as the middle-class Bible thumpers, but they are definitely Bible thumpers. Not bad people, just dumb (not saying the Bible is dumb).

I found myself in many situations where I could have said some pretty mean things to people and their ultra-religious comments. One being when was at Wendy's in southern Virginia and I was told that "Jesus would always be there to keep me safe" while my roommate and I were making the 1,000+ mile trip from Boston to Clemson, SC (where I went to college). I almost explained to the woman that Jesus wasn't going to take over driving if I fell asleep at the wheel. However, she was a sweet old woman and I don't have the heart to be an outright dick like that.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
Quote:
What an absolute load of crap!

And I personally would LOVE to get right up in your face!

With the exception of Shady Pines Acres & Country Club in Naples, you know absolutely nothing about the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or