U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Gap toothed yokuls may not be the same as the middle-class Bible thumpers, but they are definitely Bible thumpers. Not bad people, just dumb (not saying the Bible is dumb).

I found myself in many situations where I could have said some pretty mean things to people and their ultra-religious comments. One being when was at Wendy's in southern Virginia and I was told that "Jesus would always be there to keep me safe" while my roommate and I were making the 1,000+ mile trip from Boston to Clemson, SC (where I went to college). I almost explained to the woman that Jesus wasn't going to take over driving if I fell asleep at the wheel. However, she was a sweet old woman and I don't have the heart to be an outright dick like that.
I was talking about the type of Southerners who are often on Jerry Springer. The people that drink, cuss, sleep around with relatives. They're usually not Bible Thumpers. Many don't even go to church. They probably still believe in God, but they're not Bible Thumpers usually. They're 2 different types of Southerners, both very common and often confused with one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM

162 posts, read 580,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.
Absolutely all true. Just add dumber than dirt and the list will be complete

Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,511,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I was talking about the type of Southerners who are often on Jerry Springer. The people that drink, cuss, sleep around with relatives. They're usually not Bible Thumpers. Many don't even go to church. They probably still believe in God, but they're not Bible Thumpers usually. They're 2 different types of Southerners, both very common and often confused with one another.
Haha, yea the people that make it on Jerry Springer are one-of-a-kind. I don't think that type of person is commonplace in any part of the country...at least I really hope not haha.

The people I was referring to aren't necessarily the Springer-types (though they might watch it a lot), but the regular ol' rednecks that you see kickin around many Southern country towns.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,048,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.
They are true for the most part. There are exceptions, like there are with every stereotype, and sometimes they get over exaggerated, but I live in Little Rock and I can honestly say this place fits everything you just listed to a tee.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,860,967 times
[quote=eskercurve;8019450
Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.[/quote]

The North would be better off w/o the South? ha, good one. The Nawth couldn't survive without the South, couldn't in 1861 and probably couldn't today either. Where is all this bailout money ending up, AIG, GM, Chrysler, company HQ's in the Nawth. Rust Belt to Welfare Belt isn't exactly something to be proud of.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Absolutely all true. Just add dumber than dirt and the list will be complete
You keep thinking that and tell all your Yankee friends.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Good job, my friend, and exactly right.

Quote:
SiestaBay wrote: Absolutely all true. Just add dumber than dirt and the list will be complete
Lemme ask you something, yankee...what are your own credentials for generalizing Southerners as being "dumber than dirt"?

Let me be clearer. It ain't enough to be with the "in crowd" of those who harbor a reflexive contempt for the South. What I am requesting is that you -- you yourself -- lay out your own resume for as to why you feel yourself intellectually superior to the average Southerner?

After all, for anyone who, with easy impunity, labels a whole group of people "dumber than dirt" this oughta be a cake-walk..

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-28-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yep. They'll just keep on thinking they're superior, even as we pass them economically. But, hey, they'll have great coffee shops.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,123 times
Default Response from a Southerner

I was born a Southerner in S.W. Georgia. I also spent 14 years in New Jersey. What I have found is that the North can be more closed minded in some areas than the South in regards to prejuidices. I am not talking about NYC, where anything and everything goes, I am talking about mid to small sized towns like Trenton or Burlington or Freehold., etc.

The major differences that set the South apart are rooted in God, family and Country. Communities are tight knit because they have watched generations grow up in the same town. The lack of industry keeps people from moving into these communities and therefore leaves the natives to their own devices for survival, normally a rut that each family group is born into and rarely traverses unless they leave for a life elsewhere.
The truth is the South can be closed to the outsider because the community structure doesn't like radical change. People are content with the lifestyle they are comfortable with. Now I am talking about populations under 10,000. Survival and acceptance here is more about the lifestyle than the person. To thrive here there are some things you need to understand.

1. This is the Bible belt. There are Churches on every corner for a reason. You are expected to go to Church. Pick one and go at least 2-3 times a week if possible. A good "God Revering and God fearing" person is part of the Southern fabric. This means that you subscribe to and agree with the teachings of the Bible.

2. Family. No matter what, family is the core. You will take care of your children and teach them necessary survival skills in case things go backwards...i.e. hunting, fishing, farming and other life lessons. With the amount of land and lack of industry, this is not only for survival, it is recreational. Everyone knows how to live off the land, also part of the teachings in the Bible. Appreciation of God's creation.

3. Country. Southerner's are patriotic. No, not the rebel yelling Civil War type of patriotism, but real Military support. If you want to know how the South feels about the Military, ask one of them. We love and support our Troops. While we might not agree with the politics of war, we will support the people that defend our freedom on any given day. Troops are sacred. They [ay the ultimate sacrafice. This is something that the South has clung to for years because we can identify with the fighting spirit because we will all still fight to hold onto our culture now. God, family, country.

4. We are conservatives. Some by necessity. Some by choice. The laws and rules of the Bible governs. While most cannot conceive the notion of a culture that is not accepting of Gay marriage, strip clubs or the legalization of "pot", you must understand that we view this as against the cultural and religious laws that have been passed down for generations. We feel like we, as Christian's, are under attack from radicals that try to impose these radical changes on our culture. While most of us are quiet, there is a general unrest brewing that is combining the forces of all races that are Southern by birth. We feel that our culture is coming under attack.

5. Politically the South feels that these new gun laws are a way to disarm us and trample our Constitution (Patriotism). We, as a WHOLE culture combining all races, feel threatened. There is a general unrest brewing and it travels a lot farther into the mid section of the Country than most realize.

Remember, we are patriotic and believe in the 2nd amendment rights. We use guns for hunting and recreation, and have a lot less crime than the rest of the country. The reason we don't have much crime because everyone owns guns and everyone knows it. Most of the gun crimes are committed in the areas of the country that support gun bans.
Also, we live in racial peace. It is rare now that we have any racial problems, but when one does arise, we are pounded in the news about it to reinforce that the South needs change. Wow. I saw more racial tensions up North than I have ever seen here, yet we are living with the stigma that has been passed for generations of thought elsewhere.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM

887 posts, read 2,668,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4559 View Post
Views on South..
I disagree with most everything you said and I lived in the Deep South my whole life. Its not really not like that except in "cliques."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or