U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:20 AM

887 posts, read 2,670,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4559 View Post
1. This is the Bible belt. There are Churches on every corner for a reason. You are expected to go to Church. Pick one and go at least 2-3 times a week if possible. A good "God Revering and God fearing" person is part of the Southern fabric. This means that you subscribe to and agree with the teachings of the Bible.

2. Family. No matter what, family is the core. You will take care of your children and teach them necessary survival skills in case things go backwards...i.e. hunting, fishing, farming and other life lessons. With the amount of land and lack of industry, this is not only for survival, it is recreational. Everyone knows how to live off the land, also part of the teachings in the Bible. Appreciation of God's creation.

3. Country. Southerner's are patriotic. No, not the rebel yelling Civil War type of patriotism, but real Military support. If you want to know how the South feels about the Military, ask one of them. We love and support our Troops. While we might not agree with the politics of war, we will support the people that defend our freedom on any given day. Troops are sacred. They [ay the ultimate sacrafice. This is something that the South has clung to for years because we can identify with the fighting spirit because we will all still fight to hold onto our culture now. God, family, country.

4. We are conservatives. Some by necessity. Some by choice. The laws and rules of the Bible governs. While most cannot conceive the notion of a culture that is not accepting of Gay marriage, strip clubs or the legalization of "pot", you must understand that we view this as against the cultural and religious laws that have been passed down for generations. We feel like we, as Christian's, are under attack from radicals that try to impose these radical changes on our culture. While most of us are quiet, there is a general unrest brewing that is combining the forces of all races that are Southern by birth. We feel that our culture is coming under attack.

5. Politically the South feels that these new gun laws are a way to disarm us and trample our Constitution (Patriotism). We, as a WHOLE culture combining all races, feel threatened. There is a general unrest brewing and it travels a lot farther into the mid section of the Country than most realize.

Remember, we are patriotic and believe in the 2nd amendment rights. We use guns for hunting and recreation, and have a lot less crime than the rest of the country. The reason we don't have much crime because everyone owns guns and everyone knows it. Most of the gun crimes are committed in the areas of the country that support gun bans.
Also, we live in racial peace. It is rare now that we have any racial problems, but when one does arise, we are pounded in the news about it to reinforce that the South needs change. Wow. I saw more racial tensions up North than I have ever seen here, yet we are living with the stigma that has been passed for generations of thought elsewhere.
Did a reread. What is in bold is simply not representative of the entire population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,290,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I disagree with most everything you said and I lived in the Deep South my whole life. Its not really not like that except in "cliques."
Which disproves the stereotypes. Project 123456788 was a failure. Commence Southern-bashing thread #123456789.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,916,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.
Most Southerners are decent and don't really want to have too much of an open mind, because we don't want too much trash to fall in.

When it comes to morals and culture, we are light years ahead of anything I have seen coming from any other part of the country.

I don't know whether you would be better off without us, I don't think we would spend a lot of time missing you. I think everyone should be free to have their own thoughts, but I don't want to spend my time in the pig pens or cess pools with those who were not brought up right. Without the Southern influence which is basically a Christian influence, I think the United States would be a lot worse off than it is. We just keep trying to be a good example and show you all how it can be done better.

It must be working, but unfortunately instead of changing your own states for the better, many from other states are just tired of living around the filth and a large number are moving here.

Sorry, I thought I had posted on this thread, but I must have removed it and someone had already quoted me. (No I just read through and found the other post. I guess the little crooked thing that tells that you have already posted wasn't working or I just didn't look good enough to find it.) Luckily I said basically the same thing again. The South doesn't have to take a back seat to any other part of the United States. I think the opposite is true. Jealously of Southerners started the Civil War and it is still going on. I hear so much bragging about salaries, etc. but it doesn't really matter. What matters is the quality of life one has. Even an average person can have a much superior quality of life in the South compared to the rich in other parts of the country. I don't know why I am bothering telling you this. I live in a county that was the fastest growning county in America for two years in a row and many other years it has be highly rated. People here are still friendly and still care about their neighbors. Unfortunately we had to slow down the growth because we are running out of water.

There are many other good parts of the South, so there is still time to move there if you hurry up. LOL I think a better choice would be to start working to improve the state you live in. Unfortunately the ones moving here are degrading our elected officials too. We used to have good people and we have a few good ones left, but that last lady senator leaves a lot to be desired. We have replaced a class lady senator with a person who lacks character and may know right from wrong but is showing some really bad choices in the company she is keeping in Washington, DC.

Last edited by NCN; 07-25-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 12:37 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,475,007 times
"Southern Charm" is a form of manipulation used by ignorant women who live in the South. As a Northerner, I can spot those silly games a mile away.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,121,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.
Let me begin by saying I am a 35 year old white male, born and raised in Mississippi.

Southerners may not seem very welcoming to outsiders because we aren't sure if you are judging us by the geographic location in which we live, or by the stereotypes you hold of us. Southerners have seen this many times, but if you treat us with respect and an open mind you will receive the same.

As for being culturally backward, that is relative. What you may think is backward is perfectly normal to others. Keep in mind, there are many different countries, with many different cultures and people that may seem strange to an outsider, but are perfectly normal to the people who live there, and those countries have some of the best people in the world. It's the same with different regions of the United States.

I think I am representative of the South, and the one thing that bothers me more than any other is the belief that we are barbaric racists, and that racism exists on an extreme level in the South. I happen to be married to a beautiful lady from Belize, Central America who is of West Indian, East Indian, and Hispanic descent and skin color is of no importance when choosing the people I associate with.

Politically, I think Republicans and Democrats are equally self-serving and I lean more toward the Libertarian party. I do not take what politicians tell me at face value and prefer to research and form my own opinions. Basically I am a mix of conservative with a very small amount of liberal thrown in.

I would never abuse or judge someone because of thier sexual preference, and I am open to the possibility that someone's genetics could determine if they are homosexual at birth.

That's me, i'm from the South, take it or leave it. I think this country would be much better off if everyone were more accepting of others differences.

What you see on television is not an accurate portrayal of the South, rather it is an exaggerated stereotype. Think of New Jersey, Italian mobsters, and big hair.

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-25-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 01:29 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
"Southern Charm" is a form of manipulation used by ignorant women who live in the South. As a Northerner, I can spot those silly games a mile away.
That statement is beneath you zonababe. Southerners spend a lot less time manipulating others than Northerners do and I know that for sure from working around people from other places. I got to the point that I would not be friends with anyone on our staff from the North. I found they were not trying to be friends, but were looking for ways to take advantage of me. They even stabbed each other in the back.

When we had a Southern boss and mostly Southern workers before so many other people started moving in, we were like a family. Going to work was like going to church. We were like brothers and sisters and cared about each other. Sure there were disagreements, but I had never experienced the dishonesty that I experienced with the women who came from the North. They would lie, cheat, steal, play tricks on you. Pure trash! It went from a great place to work to a place you no longer wanted to be, even though you loved your job. If we still had the atmosphere we had when I started working there, I would probably be on the job. When the opportunity came to retire, I went for it. I don't choose to spend my time around dishonest people.

I used to watch the sitcoms on TV and think that was just something people with imagination made up. The people from the North that I worked with actually acted like the sitcom characters. This was the first time in my life I had ever seen people engage in such bad behavior and I am talking about people who had a masters degree in library science but absolutely no class.

Last edited by NCN; 07-25-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,138,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

On the other hand, as a northerner, you might not know diddly-squat about the South, much less Southern women, reckon...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-25-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,264,139 times
NCN, how come I get derogatory rep points from you sometimes, especially in threads like these? Giving a rep point and saying something mean kind of defeats the purpose

Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
NCN, how come I get derogatory rep points from you sometimes, especially in threads like these? Giving a rep point and saying something mean kind of defeats the purpose
I think honesty is the best policy even in rep points. Truth hurts sometimes, but it is good to clear the air. I don't know where you are from but Northerners are always talking about how Southern people don't tell the truth and are two faced, etc. I don't think most Northerners could take the real truth, but we try anyway. You think it is all right to badmouth the South and we are always having to listen to how inferior we are which is a pure lie, but tell you something different and you act like we said something wrong.

This thread started out in a condescending manner asking us why the North would not be better off without the South and I guess you think that is O. K. That is stinking rotten mean. So don't tell me I have done something mean if I say that is not true when someone tells a lie.

The South will never be able to get along with the North until they get rid of some wrong ideas such as there is something wrong with being moral, going to church, or just plain being Southern. One of the other posters expressed it very well. People have different ways of being all over the world. I didn't come into this world to be picked on by you or anybody else.

Last edited by NCN; 07-25-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,475,007 times
I had a Southern woman tell me first hand, she enjoyed using her Southern Charm/Manipulation to get what she wants. Once she pointed it out to I me, it was very easy to spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or