U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,317,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I actually think I read somewhere that the KKK has it's strongest following in Indiana.....obviously not the South so that kinda dispels that rumor right there.

Check out this link: Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Harrison, Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

486 posts, read 915,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
No, it was widely supported. Slavery existed in most northern states including Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island.

Do you really think the number of slaves in northern states really gives you the moral high ground? Morality isn't the reason there were fewer slaves in the North. The reason is that slavery wasn't as productive for the north as it was the south, because of climate.

Why don't you educate yourself on the subject, then come talk to me again
I've heard the same crap recycled again and again by southerners who try to brush off slavery, and claim that the Civil War was only a states rights issue and slavery had nothing to do with it. Sorry man, people who weren't brainwashed on that stuff from outside the south don't believe it.

By the way, did you do some scientific polling on the popularity of slavery in the north in the 1800's? All I know is that most southern whites hated the idea of the civil rights legislation, and it was a major reason why they defected from the Democratic Party. Why do you think the GOP adopted the Southern Strategy? It was to appeal to southern whites, who didn't support civil rights (to put it very mildly).

Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
You guys really try and do all you can to wriggle outta this.
You come across as if we Southerners are on trial for our history and you are the prosecuting attorney. As if someone needs to justify something to you.

Who are you in the whole scheme of things, anyway? And wriggle out of what? Do you really think you speak from a burning bush? You DO have delusions of granduer...

Quote:
Obviously everyone knows there was slavery in the north. It wasn't as widely supported or as common as in the south. Where was the KKK based and started, .
No, everyone doesn't. A good bet that even you don't know all there is to just the extent it existed in the North. As the link -- with all its sources -- spelled out -- slavery in the North is a censored subject in many ways.

More than that, is the northern slave trade. Not a single slave ship was ever charterted out of a Southern port.

We like to condemn slavery as an exotic evil perpetrated by plantation Southerners, but two new books and a museum exhibit provide nightmarish reminders that slavery was the norm in the early years of this country, and that up through the eve of the Civil War, Northern bankers, brokers and entrepreneurs were among slavery’s staunchest defenders

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/...n_slave_trade/

`Complicity' Explores Hypocrisy Of North's Virtue - Courant.com

Quote:
and where was the most resistance to civil rights legislation? That's right. You guessed it
Yeah, I did. Guessed it right that is! It was all over the country, and much of it in North. At least equal to as in the South.

Ever see the great documentary "Eyes on the Prize"? The first segments were devoted to the Civil Rights Movement in the South. The next ones were of it in the North. The biggest difference is that Southerners were just not hypocritical about it all. The violence which greeted in the North even caused Dr. King to say something like "if you want to teach a white Southerner how to hate, send him to Chicago." Andrew Young said he was never so scared for his safety in the South as he was when he went north. And Pontiac, Michigan and Boston, in terms of violent resistance to the realities of integration rivaled anything done in the South. Like I say, at least "we" were not hypocrites about it all....

Herman Talmadge (Georgia) once introduced legislation to treat de-facto segregation on the same plane as de-jure (Jim Crow) in the South as concerns Civil Right legislation. Oh man, suddenly, all those northern politicians who had previously supported ever measure previously aimed at the South, put their mouths and agendas in reverse. He said later...he KNEW it wouldn't pass...because the same northern congressmen were sure to vote against it. He just wanted to get them on record as being the self-righteous hypocrites they really were....

And if you think hate-groups are mostly in the South, today, then you are only fooling yourself. In fact, it is in the South that blacks and whites express the most optomistic opinions on race-relations.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-26-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
oh the usual, they are usually singled out for comments which are in reality only racial attacks coming in under radar.
we often become what we hate.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,820,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That statement is beneath you zonababe. Southerners spend a lot less time manipulating others than Northerners do and I know that for sure from working around people from other places. I got to the point that I would not be friends with anyone on our staff from the North. I found they were not trying to be friends, but were looking for ways to take advantage of me. They even stabbed each other in the back.

When we had a Southern boss and mostly Southern workers before so many other people started moving in, we were like a family. Going to work was like going to church. We were like brothers and sisters and cared about each other. Sure there were disagreements, but I had never experienced the dishonesty that I experienced with the women who came from the North. They would lie, cheat, steal, play tricks on you. Pure trash! It went from a great place to work to a place you no longer wanted to be, even though you loved your job. If we still had the atmosphere we had when I started working there, I would probably be on the job. When the opportunity came to retire, I went for it. I don't choose to spend my time around dishonest people.

I used to watch the sitcoms on TV and think that was just something people with imagination made up. The people from the North that I worked with actually acted like the sitcom characters. This was the first time in my life I had ever seen people engage in such bad behavior and I am talking about people who had a masters degree in library science but absolutely no class.
Can you give an example of the behavior that you speak?

I'm not doubting you, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 AM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
There is of course racism in the north and other sections of the U.S., but I have never experienced it so blatantly as in the south. In Tallahassee, I was told by my "friends" at the bar where I hung out that the blacks "knew their place." I was also told this by some people I worked with from Alabama when I lived in Virginia. I recently moved to TN, and was told by my landlord's son that my new neighbor was "white" when I asked what she was like. I was also asked by a state employee that a contract worker she was having come to my house to do work was a black guy and "was that all right?"
Of course, I have heard racist comments from people I know from Maine to Colorado, but no where else is it so ingrained and part of the normal culture than in the south. Yes, people are polite and friendly. But, I am white, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to be other than that and live below the Mason Dixon line.
The worst racism I recently encountered was in CO against the Hispanics that were living there. The daily diatribes agains "those people" turned my stomach. I thought that this section of TN would be different, I guess, because a close friend of mine is from here and she is very kind and accepting. I was very naive. I am now looking to go back north, where at least the racism is covert.
In this town, people don't believe in evolution. A group (from outside of town) put up a billboard here celebrating a recent Darwin anniversary, and someone in the paper was quoted as saying she was just "not going to take it anymore." They put up a billboard saying that they did not come from monkeys. I don't know all the details, because I can't believe this still goes on. However, I went to a small community college 10 yrs ago in VA, and our biology teacher would not teach us the section on evolution, because he didn't believe in it. These are my personal experiences; of course, as many others have said on here, there is a basis in reality for stereotypes but there are exceptions everywhere. I will keep looking for that perfect place for me...
>>>>>
In this town, people don't believe in evolution. A group (from outside of town) put up a billboard here celebrating a recent Darwin anniversary, and someone in the paper was quoted as saying she was just "not going to take it anymore." They put up a billboard saying that they did not come from monkeys. I don't know all the details, because I can't believe this still goes on. However, I went to a small community college 10 yrs ago in VA, and our biology teacher would not teach us the section on evolution, because he didn't believe in it.
<<<<<

And? Evolution is a theory (as is creationism, which I will readily admit). Evolution has not been proven, in fact, there is a lot of evidence that points to its irrationality. Microevolution to some degree appears to be proven, yet there is not one bit of conclusive evidence showing that macroevolution (primates to humans, for instance) has occurred.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-27-2009 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Uh, you may want to read that article before you put it up as support for southern morality.
I wasn't making a case for Southern morality per se, just wanted to show that racism occurs everywhere.

Racist idiots/bigots are everywhere. Hence, it follows that racism will be present in the East, West, South, and even the North. In fact, I will add that the most racists people I've been around in my life occurred when I lived in Boston for a year. The Irish Catholics that I came into contact there didn't hesitate to use the "N" word at all. I found it very offensive....and I was born&raised in Oklahoma, lived in Texas a long time, and I've lived in the Deep South (also the West coast too).

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-27-2009 at 12:25 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Yeah right, Southern morals are "Christ-centered", because Southerners just follow the teachings of Jesus! Good joke!
Well, that is the ideal anyway...to follow Christ. I will concede that I believe there is a huge unregenerate population (folks that go to church, but don't really have a relationship with Christ) in the South. This could be said of anywhere in the United States, however.

True faith is a relationship; it is not religion.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 139,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
The South will never be able to get along with the North until they get rid of some wrong ideas such as there is something wrong with being moral, going to church, or just plain being Southern.
<<<<<

You hit the nail on the head here my Friend.
Hmm... I could rephrase this to say that the North won't "get along" with the South until a certain demographic of Southerners can understand that many Northerners are moral without adhering to many southerners rigid religious-oriented definitions of moral values. It seems many southern Christians believe that because of their fundamentalist Judeo-Christian beliefs that they have a monopoly on morals and values over those who don't share their particular belief system. Why are Evangelicals known as the "morals and values" crowd? This implies that they somehow are more moral than those who don't share their beliefs. This is just as arrogant or close minded as anyone not liking someone because of ones religious belief.

I refer to Evangelicals because a large portion of them reside in the south and they are known as the "moral and values" crowd. The poster I quoted above seems to think Northerners don't like southerners because... Southerners are moral.

Personally, I very rarely run into people who think that there is something wrong with southerners because of their religion and personal morals. However, we (me and friends) will have a problem if some of those particular morals are forced upon us.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 PM

259 posts, read 324,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hello, often I've come across people from the South or Deep South and went away thinking that they were decent people at heart but very rigid and not open to outside ideas or influences. Is that true?

Also, there are many stereotypes of the South: backwards culturally, sees the world in black and white, honestly believes Republicans mean what they say, anti-gay, anti-science, etc etc.

While reflecting on which ones I held, I knew that most of it was probably wrong or at best inaccurate. Any truths? I'd love to hear from Southerners on what they think ... I want to keep an open mind and not believe the North would be better off without the South.

Note that I freely admit to holding some but those, as I said, were probably wrong and simply want to hear from some Southerners, on what they honestly think about their neck of the woods.

People are like that all over. I laugh my ass of when I hear Rochester area people poking fun at southerners, when many of them are even more racist, vile and ignorantly intolerant than than the worst southern redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or