Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Dad gummit...you beat me to it, jhadorn! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,452,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
"Southern Charm" is a form of manipulation used by ignorant women who live in the South. As a Northerner, I can spot those silly games a mile away.
Oh, good grief. Really?

Many southerners are simply that way by nature, and I sincerely doubt it's just a game to them. It's unfortunate and a bit disconcerting that you've become jaded to such a degree that "charm" (however you want to define it) is now merely a tool of manipulation. Not everybody is a fake, after all.

Also, I think it's important to note that the South didn't necessarily write the book on charm. While I've certainly run into a great many folks who possess the aforementioned "southern charm" since I moved to Tennessee, I don't delude myself into thinking this is absolutely the most charming and hospitable place in the entire country. Charming people can be found everywhere, and chances are you won't even have to look - they'll probably find you.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,592,915 times
I want to first say that the bashing and stereotyping of the south is wrong, IMO. Many wonderful, kind and tolerant people live in that region of the country, and I believe that it is imperative to show respect to others as you would like to have respect shown to you.

Having said that, my personal view is not so much that Southerners are "Dumb" or "Racist", so much as trending towards close-minded and arrogant. Southerners always hate it when people from other parts of the country talk about things being better there than "In Dixie", but there are plenty of Southerners who like to talk trash about how everywhere North of the Ohio and West of Texas is one gray, urban, crime&degregation filled dump with satanic people and depraved enviorments. As far as religon is concerned, I find evangelical christianity to be more of a lifestyle than a genuine dogmatic belief/value system. It's a lighter, fluffier version of Southern Baptist, who's name was tanited during it's not-so-strong support of the Civil Rights Movement.

Alot of the racial progress in the South is more along the lines of races being at peace with who they are and where they stand with each other. That isn't really the same as truly accepting or embracing one another. But, with that said, I can't say the North is really any better in that regard, the racism is simply more hidden.

I respect those who say that they enjoy their way of life and seek to keep it as it is. Everyone has a fundamental right to enjoy their time on this planet the way they see fit. In that sense, I do stand with Southerners. However, "Dixie" is not the garden of eden, and a little humility goes a long way in terms of getting others to like you. Southerns want respect they most rarley ever give, and that's neither good natured nor christian.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe much depends on what Southerners mean "being moral".
Obviously morality that is Christ-centered and outlined in the Bible. As one that has grown up between the epicenters of Evangelicalism (Tulsa and Dallas) I can authoritatively say that Scripture is the primary plumb line to figure out how to live life for Southerners. I, for one, am unapologetic about this reality.

I will say, however, that I do go out of my way to try and bully someone with my faith (as many Northerners perceive Southern Christianity)....if they have a different belief system I still consider them my friend as long as they are respectful, kind, and mindful of others.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 PM

486 posts, read 1,030,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
You guys really try and do all you can to wriggle outta this.

Obviously everyone knows there was slavery in the north. It wasn't as widely supported or as common as in the south. Where was the KKK based and started, and where was the most resistance to civil rights legislation? That's right. You guessed it.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post

Obviously everyone knows there was slavery in the north. It wasn't as widely supported or as common as in the south. Where was the KKK based and started, and where was the most resistance to civil rights legislation? That's right. You guessed it.
I actually think I read somewhere that the KKK has it's strongest following in Indiana.....obviously not the South so that kinda dispels that rumor right there.

Check out this link: Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:58 PM

139 posts, read 364,013 times
Default Racism in the South

There is of course racism in the north and other sections of the U.S., but I have never experienced it so blatantly as in the south. In Tallahassee, I was told by my "friends" at the bar where I hung out that the blacks "knew their place." I was also told this by some people I worked with from Alabama when I lived in Virginia. I recently moved to TN, and was told by my landlord's son that my new neighbor was "white" when I asked what she was like. I was also asked by a state employee that a contract worker she was having come to my house to do work was a black guy and "was that all right?"
Of course, I have heard racist comments from people I know from Maine to Colorado, but no where else is it so ingrained and part of the normal culture than in the south. Yes, people are polite and friendly. But, I am white, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to be other than that and live below the Mason Dixon line.
The worst racism I recently encountered was in CO against the Hispanics that were living there. The daily diatribes agains "those people" turned my stomach. I thought that this section of TN would be different, I guess, because a close friend of mine is from here and she is very kind and accepting. I was very naive. I am now looking to go back north, where at least the racism is covert.
In this town, people don't believe in evolution. A group (from outside of town) put up a billboard here celebrating a recent Darwin anniversary, and someone in the paper was quoted as saying she was just "not going to take it anymore." They put up a billboard saying that they did not come from monkeys. I don't know all the details, because I can't believe this still goes on. However, I went to a small community college 10 yrs ago in VA, and our biology teacher would not teach us the section on evolution, because he didn't believe in it. These are my personal experiences; of course, as many others have said on here, there is a basis in reality for stereotypes but there are exceptions everywhere. I will keep looking for that perfect place for me...

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post

No, it was widely supported. Slavery existed in most northern states including Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island.

Do you really think the number of slaves in northern states really gives you the moral high ground? Morality isn't the reason there were fewer slaves in the North. The reason is that slavery wasn't as productive for the north as it was the south, because of climate.

Why don't you educate yourself on the subject, then come talk to me again

Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,030,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I actually think I read somewhere that the KKK has it's strongest following in Indiana.....obviously not the South so that kinda dispels that rumor right there.

Check out this link: Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Uh, you may want to read that article before you put it up as support for southern morality.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Obviously morality that is Christ-centered and outlined in the Bible. As one that has grown up between the epicenters of Evangelicalism (Tulsa and Dallas) I can authoritatively say that Scripture is the primary plumb line to figure out how to live life for Southerners. I, for one, am unapologetic about this reality.

I will say, however, that I do go out of my way to try and bully someone with my faith (as many Northerners perceive Southern Christianity)....if they have a different belief system I still consider them my friend as long as they are respectful, kind, and mindful of others.
Yeah right, Southern morals are "Christ-centered", because Southerners just follow the teachings of Jesus! Good joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.