U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,025,788 times

Advertisements

Go live amongst the Amish in PA. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,025,788 times
You say you aren't racist, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:25 PM

266 posts, read 813,054 times
I can relate to this thread--we can't sit in our front yard for more than 10 minutes without some idiot speeding down the road (on a 25-mile-per-hour street) blaring rap music. I love our old-fashioned neighborhood, with old homes and close to the city center, but some days it makes me want to move to a cul-de-sac.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:27 PM

266 posts, read 813,054 times
And I guess I should add it's often rap, but sometimes rock, R&B, whatever....The point is, yes, it's rude to play music that loud and assume that everyone around you wants to listen to it!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:08 PM

56,775 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
I can relate to this thread--we can't sit in our front yard for more than 10 minutes without some idiot speeding down the road (on a 25-mile-per-hour street) blaring rap music. I love our old-fashioned neighborhood, with old homes and close to the city center, but some days it makes me want to move to a cul-de-sac.
What's even more ironic is that the people that live in that cul-de-sac might be the same one's playing the music loud.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,759,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
You say you aren't racist, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.
Because that's how society conditions you to respond. Anything that goes against whatever is perceived as black culture is considered racist. Of course, if you rant about country music, you are not racist in any manner at all whatsoever. Give me a break.
I don't like the vast majority of country music by the way.

All sorts of kids with different skin colors listen to and perform rap. Very popular in suburbia. So, I guess we're racist against all races if we don't like rap. Great.
Not liking that hideous boom-boom-boom doesn't seem too unreasonable. That's a lot of what it's about to me. That, and the glorification of thuggishness that goes along with so much of the hip-hop culture.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:44 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,578,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
That's what I'm afraid ofI'm in my late thirties, so I'd prefer a nice balance of folks 30-100+It seems like under 30 is the age group that has the appetite for this noise. My taste is a nice mix of classic rock, eighties/early nineties metal/classical/Slovenian style polkas. Classic rock is my predominating taste, so a nice 35-55 years old demographic, maybe?
Don't you already live in that demographic??? NE Ohio is quickly turning into the over 40 crowd..........i don't know many under 30 unless they are just out of high school or college..........

Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Do you know if that is still true these days, 5Lakes?? If so, and you know of any West Side taverns that have regular classic rock cover groups and polka bands, PM the names of those taverns to me if you like
Shoot, there are classic rock bands down here in Warren..........

Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Best places to avoid rap music? Is that the new PC way to asking how to avoid minorities or anyone associated with the hip hop lifestyle?
You obviously don't know anything about where the OP lives.............i would think 99% of the population in his area is white!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Ok, here's my experience. I grew up about 20 minutes south of OP in Northeast Ohio in a middle class bedroom community. Out of the 185 people in my class only one was black. I think there was a total of four black kids in my entire high school.

I was born in 1979, and if you can do the math that makes me 30. I also consider myself part of Generation X, granted i was born at the tail end, but i can tell you i don't identify with my Generation Y peers that are just a few years younger than myself. I've also always dated older guys and got along better with older people. We've experienced many of the same things growing up, remember the same things, toys, games, music, etc.

When i was a kid in the 80s kids were listening to New Wave, Madonna, INXS, George Michael, Michael Jackson, etc. In the late 80s early 90s we were all listening to hair bands, New Kids on the Block, Tiffany, and so on. Not long after that we were all listening to Milli Vanilli, Bell Biv Divoe, Vanilla Ice, Boyz II Men, Color Me Badd and all those other early 90s groups.

Then sometime in middle school i vividly remember my friend telling me about some new singer called EZ E (or however you spell it). I didn't realize he was a rapper. When i first heard his music i was appalled, i wasn't allowed to listen to music w/swearing and i thought it was so bad. This friend of mine was a white girl, her dad was an executive for our local auto supplier and the lived in a huge house (i thought i was huge at the time, maybe 3500 sq/ft) on a cul de sac located on a golf course. So there goes the theory of moving to a high income area to escape rap.

Anyway, by the time 8th grade rolled around everyone in my school was listening to Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Warren G and so on. It wasn't all we listened to of course. I was still listening to New Kids (everyone else was way past that), Michael Jackson, Van Halen and Classic Rock............then came the grunge period........Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Silver Chair, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Don't get me wrong, we still liked a little rap here and there, but it wasn't as big as when Snoop Dogg first came out.

I've always had i wide array of musical tastes and you'll find me listening to some old rap or Beastie Boys every once in a great while, but i mostly stick to Springsteen, OAR, CSNY, some country, 80s or Classic Rock. I don't like most new rock unless it's out of the mainstream and i rarely hear any new R&B or hip hop that i actually like anymore. I've also never listened to my music so loud that it shakes my car or houses or anything. If a guy listens to music that loud or has speakers in his trunk he's too young for me........i'm not interested! Besides, he'll probably be deaf in a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or