U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM

56,672 posts, read 80,973,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Ok, here's my experience. I grew up about 20 minutes south of OP in Northeast Ohio in a middle class bedroom community. Out of the 185 people in my class only one was black. I think there was a total of four black kids in my entire high school.

I was born in 1979, and if you can do the math that makes me 30. I also consider myself part of Generation X, granted i was born at the tail end, but i can tell you i don't identify with my Generation Y peers that are just a few years younger than myself. I've also always dated older guys and got along better with older people. We've experienced many of the same things growing up, remember the same things, toys, games, music, etc.

When i was a kid in the 80s kids were listening to New Wave, Madonna, INXS, George Michael, Michael Jackson, etc. In the late 80s early 90s we were all listening to hair bands, New Kids on the Block, Tiffany, and so on. Not long after that we were all listening to Milli Vanilli, Bell Biv Divoe, Vanilla Ice, Boyz II Men, Color Me Badd and all those other early 90s groups.

Then sometime in middle school i vividly remember my friend telling me about some new singer called EZ E (or however you spell it). I didn't realize he was a rapper. When i first heard his music i was appalled, i wasn't allowed to listen to music w/swearing and i thought it was so bad. This friend of mine was a white girl, her dad was an executive for our local auto supplier and the lived in a huge house (i thought i was huge at the time, maybe 3500 sq/ft) on a cul de sac located on a golf course. So there goes the theory of moving to a high income area to escape rap.

Anyway, by the time 8th grade rolled around everyone in my school was listening to Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Warren G and so on. It wasn't all we listened to of course. I was still listening to New Kids (everyone else was way past that), Michael Jackson, Van Halen and Classic Rock............then came the grunge period........Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Silver Chair, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Don't get me wrong, we still liked a little rap here and there, but it wasn't as big as when Snoop Dogg first came out.

I've always had i wide array of musical tastes and you'll find me listening to some old rap or Beastie Boys every once in a great while, but i mostly stick to Springsteen, OAR, CSNY, some country, 80s or Classic Rock. I don't like most new rock unless it's out of the mainstream and i rarely hear any new R&B or hip hop that i actually like anymore. I've also never listened to my music so loud that it shakes my car or houses or anything. If a guy listens to music that loud or has speakers in his trunk he's too young for me........i'm not interested! Besides, he'll probably be deaf in a couple years.
Sounds a lot like where I went to school in a suburb of Syracuse. It's funny that as one of the few Black people in my class and school, I found out about Easy E and NWA from the kids at school, not kids from the hood.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

948 posts, read 3,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Try the redneck areas of the country. Harrison, Arkansas or something.
Somewhere in tennesee maybe?
??Have you been here? Rap is all I hear around me?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM

893 posts, read 1,388,169 times
buy a submarine.......sink to the ocean floor. What a silly question!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:08 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Have your auditory system removed if it is ultra-important that you never hear any rap music...would it be better to hear nothing at all or would you rather endure an occasional snippet of rap?

We can't always control everything that we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel...so the best thing to do is learn to live with and hopefully learn to appreciate some things that are not pleasing to our senses. Sometimes we can gain some appreciation as we mature - like I realized that broccoli was pretty tasty in my adulthood. Sometimes it helps to gain some insight into and understanding of particular genres of art and music. Other than that, removing your inner ear may be the only answer.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,753,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
??Have you been here? Rap is all I hear around me?
Yeah, when I saw Harrison, AR, and Tennessee, I thought, man, that poster doesn't get out much. Some of those rural redneck areas have it as bad as any inner city.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,573,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yeah, when I saw Harrison, AR, and Tennessee, I thought, man, that poster doesn't get out much. Some of those rural redneck areas have it as bad as any inner city.
That's the case here in Ohio's rural areas too.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
I wish I could avoid spanish music, but I've learned to deal with it.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
You say you aren't racist, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post.
Why? There are just as many if not more white kids blasting hip hop from their cars as blacks or other races. You're in NYC, so you know that there are lot's of Italian, Greek, and Polish teens blasting hip-hop from their cars.

I think the OP just wants to avoid the Hip-hop culture and mindset which has earned a reputation for anti-social behavior and violence as well as a strong connection to gang life. Perception and reality can be two different things. While you and I may know that the majority of kids who enjoy hip-hop are not bad kids, someone who only see's examples of poor bahavior from that demographic will think otherwise. Everytime a shooting or riot breaks out at a rap concert it speaks louder than the random hip-hip artist who is doing charitable work in his community.

Compare this to the previous generation of middle aged parents from the 70's who didn't like the long haired hard rock types blasting their Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and getting high on pot and heroin. Or at least that was the overwhelming perception or anyone who listened to that music and wore leather MC jackets with hair down their back. They were looked at as drug addicts and satin worshipers. Those parents weren't being racist, they just didn't want what was associated with that genre of music to be in their community.

The OP is free to live wherever he wants and for whatever reason, to accuse him of being a racist is someone harsh.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
I think that there is no way to actually know WHAT the OP intended...we can only guess based on his statements. You can really only truly know what your own intentions and feelings are. That said, people are pretty good at recognizing racism - it usually comes across loud and clear.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,241,696 times
There is no stopping rap.. FIGHT THE POWER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or