U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,024,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That said, people are pretty good at recognizing racism - it usually comes across loud and clear.

Especially when you are looking for it...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 AM

421 posts, read 1,405,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Why? There are just as many if not more white kids blasting hip hop from their cars as blacks or other races. You're in NYC, so you know that there are lot's of Italian, Greek, and Polish teens blasting hip-hop from their cars.

I think the OP just wants to avoid the Hip-hop culture and mindset which has earned a reputation for anti-social behavior and violence as well as a strong connection to gang life. Perception and reality can be two different things. While you and I may know that the majority of kids who enjoy hip-hop are not bad kids, someone who only see's examples of poor bahavior from that demographic will think otherwise. Everytime a shooting or riot breaks out at a rap concert it speaks louder than the random hip-hip artist who is doing charitable work in his community.

Compare this to the previous generation of middle aged parents from the 70's who didn't like the long haired hard rock types blasting their Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and getting high on pot and heroin. Or at least that was the overwhelming perception or anyone who listened to that music and wore leather MC jackets with hair down their back. They were looked at as drug addicts and satin worshipers. Those parents weren't being racist, they just didn't want what was associated with that genre of music to be in their community.

The OP is free to live wherever he wants and for whatever reason, to accuse him of being a racist is someone harsh.
At least someone has some brains!!! That is just it. The little town I live in is being turned upside down by these juvenile delinquents with their bass beats. They are ALL WHITE!!! And to think someone is ignorant enough to think there is a racial motive behind not liking a loud, obnoxious, pounding sound that a 3 year-old could make on a bass drum??? Get real!!!!! Calling this a racial issue is pure B.S., and those of you who want to call it that either know it is pure B.S., or need to pay attention to who the fans of this stuff are. Most of them are WHITE. Got it???? WHITE!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who does not live in a frickin' cave knows how loud this stuff is. The gangster rap issue is a generational issue, not a race issue. Like CortlandGirl pointed out, Generation Y was exposed to the mushrooming gangster rap culture ata young and impressionable age, and got caught up in it. Someone of us, who were adults in the 1990's and did not grow up with that stuff affecting our youth culture, saw it for what it was from day one. Most of all, not liking that style of music DOES NOT MAKE ANYONE RACIST!!!!!! Where is the logic to such an allegation?? This is about as sensible as a black person being called racist for not liking country or heavy metal based purely on their dislike of those types of music. There are plenty of black people, especially older black people who enjoy classic soul, blues guitar, motown, jazz, etc., who also don't like having their listening experience intruded on by some young punk with his moronic bass beat. Are these older black people somehow racist, because the kid with the bass beat is white??? Gimme a break

Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 AM

0 posts, read 1,352,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?
How stupid. You wish to move to avoid a particular genre of music?

Move to Kentucky or something.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 AM

421 posts, read 1,405,480 times
Geez!!!I don't like the genre, but that is not the problem. The problem is that you can hear the bass beat pounding like half a mile down the road!!! It drowns out even the loudest heavy metal music. Doesn't this strike you as unreasonably loud??? If you "don't notice" this, you must be in the habit of walking into walls a lot, LOL!!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,604,649 times
Quote:
Geez!!!I don't like the genre, but that is not the problem. The problem is that you can hear the bass beat pounding like half a mile down the road!!! It drowns out even the loudest heavy metal music. Doesn't this strike you as unreasonably loud??? If you "don't notice" this, you must be in the habit of walking into walls a lot, LOL!!!!
The real problem is that you've got kids transforming their cars into 2-ton monster sound machines. One dude I saw had his trunk filled to the brim with nothing but amps. Once he let 'em rip I swear I thought my windows were going to give way from the rattling, lol.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,278,768 times
Quote:
Refer to earlier post about having your auditory system removed...or move on. There is no solution for you, so you're just going to be miserable.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,278,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The real problem is that you've got kids transforming their cars into 2-ton monster sound machines. One dude I saw had his trunk filled to the brim with nothing but amps. Once he let 'em rip I swear I thought my windows were going to give way from the rattling, lol.

Why is that "the real problem"? There are A LOT of problems in the world to worry about, and that one doesn't even register.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
This thread is moving into territory that is off topic for General US. City-Data has a Music forum where everyone can debate the artistic merits of rap music. In this forum, we need to confine the discussion to suggestions of geographical areas where the OP can avoid it.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,604,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why is that "the real problem"? There are A LOT of problems in the world to worry about, and that one doesn't even register.
My guess is that the OP is less concerned about the music itself than the imposing way in which it is produced. I would agree. I mean, come on, how loud does your stuff really have to be to fully enjoy it? I don't really care for rap (at least the junk they have out nowadays), but if some kid wants to blare it in his car on a Saturday afternoon that's fine with me. It's only when I'm losing sleep over it in the evening that there is a real problem.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
This thread is moving into territory that is off topic for General US. City-Data has a Music forum where everyone can debate the artistic merits of rap music. In this forum, we need to confine the discussion to suggestions of geographical areas where the OP can avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or