U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 AM

948 posts, read 3,415,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?
A neo Nazi compound, you will for sure NEVER here rap or hip hop there!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times
Great more people with the horrible argument of "I don't like it so its not music."

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 AM

898 posts, read 1,304,058 times
In answer to the original question: Buellton, Solvang, Santa Ynez, Santa Maria, Orcutt, Paso Robles, Nipomo, Pismo Beach. All in California and all missing the Hip Hop culture in abundance. The radio is mostly country, spanish country (which is even more annoying than hip hop IMO but you might like it since it has lots of tubas and accordions) and christian stations. With the exception of Santa Maria, the populace is mostly white, republican and upper middle class.

Is it annoying to hear it blasted through open windows? Yes but so is any kind of music to me. I like all kinds of music, hip hop included, and I still find it a nuisance whenever anyone blaring any type of music pulls alongside of me. That's why I keep my windows closed most of the time. I don't care if you're playing Mozart, The Stever Miller Band or Nas; I shouldn't be subjected to unnecessary noise polution just because you're on a mission to ruin your hearing.

The funny thing is that you said that you like polkas and that "umpa, umpa, umpa" background is akin to the heavy bass that backs most hip hop songs. And as for filthy lyrics, classic rock has plenty of them as well. Just as a quick example: The Who's "Who Are You?" yells out "who the f- are you?!" through the entire song. Oh, and by the way, I'm 33 and I grew up listening to hip hop. I also never liked most of the "gangster rap" music and still don't but that's mostly because of the content and also for another thread.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,264,378 times
I would go as far as to say that genres like techno and trance are easier to do than rap. Not to mention, a lot of it sounds the same. I don't see people criticizing those genres though.

P.S. Don't get the wrong idea. I like techno and trance.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,926,696 times
We never hear it in Wyoming. In fact , I never hear a loud stereo. Maybe in the big cities here...

This is Country country.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,110 times
Quote:
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?
From my experiences I don't think rap is as popular on the west coast as it is in other parts of the county. Aside from that the best places to avoid rap are in affluent neighborhoods or out in the sticks. I live in a hipster/yuppie inner city area and don't hear much rap unless I venture into other parts of the city.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
things were great, we had BB king louis armstrong and all the AA musical geniuses of new orleans.
it all stopped instead now we got snoop dog.
im sorry. i cant go for that.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,110 times
Quote:
The key demographic element is age. Under 30 years old. I don't give a damn if rap fans are white or black. I simply don't like their loud, obnoxious bass beat and filthy lyrics that they insist on everyone hearing. Most are under 30, and many are white. Very few folks over 30 like rap, especially the gangster type. We grew up before it existed. Maybe we want to enjoy the music we grew up with instead of having it rudely interrupted by some kid's bass beat that sounds like a drunken elephant. Heavy metal fans in the early 90's didn't inflict their music on older adults at a catastrophic volume, so why should these rap heads get away with torturing everyone? If you're gonna defend rap, post on a thread for rap fans
Orwelleaut, from your screen name I can see we are from the same area. Do not live there anymore, but still visit several times a year. I went to Ashtabula High School in the 90's and even back then about 75% of the kids primarily listened to rap. I'm sure it was more there than in the surrounding schools. From what I can tell most folks in the rural parts of Ashtabula County mostly listen to country or rock - both young and old. Are there really kids driving around Orwell or Jefferson these days blasting loud rap out of their cars?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,603,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
things were great, we had BB king louis armstrong and all the AA musical geniuses of new orleans.
it all stopped instead now we got snoop dog.
im sorry. i cant go for that.
The genius hasn't died, it's just that nobody looks for it anymore. There are plenty of young black cats in New Orleans that still give me goosebumps when I hear them. You'll always find what you look for.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,134 times
Soooo the problem is people blasting music, not that it happens to be Hip-Hop, the music of my generation.

Those gosh darn kids playin the devils music, huh?

And how come people who listen to rap always seem to be into a lot of other totally different types of music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or