Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:55 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,669,214 times

Advertisements

it's not that big of a deal.. what, you hear it for a couple seconds and then the car goes away.. the volume is set to go that high, so some people use it.. what are you going to do.

I lived above a grumpy old lady who's a racist towards my wife and daughter for almost a year.. thank god i'm moving.. but c'mon, it's not that hard to find a place that doesn't have it.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
That's what I'm afraid ofI'm in my late thirties, so I'd prefer a nice balance of folks 30-100+It seems like under 30 is the age group that has the appetite for this noise. My taste is a nice mix of classic rock, eighties/early nineties metal/classical/Slovenian style polkas. Classic rock is my predominating taste, so a nice 35-55 years old demographic, maybe?
the West side of Cleveland?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,189,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
the West side of Cleveland?
Yes, a lot of local taverns on the west side of Cleveland and Lakewood often have classic rock cover bands and sometimes even polka bands.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Yes, a lot of local taverns on the west side of Cleveland and Lakewood often have classic rock cover bands and sometimes even polka bands.
That's why I threw that out there. I know that part of the city is more Slavic versus the East side of the city.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM

421 posts, read 1,560,526 times
Quote:
Orwelleaut, from your screen name I can see we are from the same area. Do not live there anymore, but still visit several times a year. I went to Ashtabula High School in the 90's and even back then about 75% of the kids primarily listened to rap. I'm sure it was more there than in the surrounding schools. From what I can tell most folks in the rural parts of Ashtabula County mostly listen to country or rock - both young and old. Are there really kids driving around Orwell or Jefferson these days blasting loud rap out of their cars?
Hey, 5Lakes!! Recognized you from the Ohio Forum where we were talking about the 'Bula. To answer your question, yes, there are definitely kids doing this around Orwell and Jefferson. 107.5 FM The Fox is still big around here, along with country. You do have a contingent of wannabe gangsters, though, with the whole posing routine: flat-brimmed hat cocked at an angle, baggy pants, and the beat that you can hear several blocks away.

Some on this thread have asked why I don't just ignore rap if I don't like it. Well, that is what I usually do and prefer to do. How do you do that, though, when you are walking in the woods, of all places, and you can hear a rap beat pounding prominently between 1/4 and 1/2 mile away? Or, you are listening to Twister Sister in your car, and the bass beat from the car behind you at the light is "drowning out" your music? Anything that drowns out Twisted Sister is out of reason. When I was a teen, I was always told to watch my volume knob and be considerate of others if I wanted to listen to metal. Why are rap fans not included in this rule, when the bass beat is so much louder than anything else?? I wish I were kidding about this. Any musical beat being that loud is sheer insanity, and probably dangerous to the ears of anyone very close.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM

16 posts, read 17,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
What are the best places to live in the United States these days if you don't like rap music?? In the Northeast and Midwest, the youth seem to have a strong preference for this type of music. The preference, for the current generation of teens, includes all racial and ethnic groups, so this is not an issue of race. This is an issue of musical preference.

I'm just tired of hearing that thudding bass beat everywhere I go, as rap fans seem to think everyone else wants to listen to their music with them. If these rap fans would just show some respect for those of us who don't care for their style of music, I wouldn't even pose this question. Unfortunately, the current generation of teens and twentysomethings seems to think the rest of us want to listen to their pounding, intrusive bass beats. Where is a good place to live for a person to live who just doesn't enjoy this style of music?
Alternative rap is where its at.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, hip hop is VERY popular on the west coast. They basically dominated from 1993-1996. Specifically Los angeles.
1993-1996?? Dominated?? Maybe in some areas, but certainly not in the white youth culture back then. There was some gangster rap back then, but the average white college student had no use for it. The average white college student, back then, was into Alternative. Alternative was our Generation X soundtrack, and it all began with Nirvana in 1992. In 1993, Pearl Jam was huge, and it all went from there. The rest of the 90's were the era of Stone Temple Pilots,The Smashing Pumpkins, The Offspring, Candlebox, and all of the Alternative bands. Right up until at least 2000 or so, twentysomethings and Alternative went hand in hand. There was that question that we all asked each other: "Do you listen to Alternative?" The answer was always yes, unless you wanted to be seen as totally uncool. We were the slacker generation, according to the media, because we were into Grunge and Alternative.

There was definitely rap during this era, and there was some gangster rap on MTV such as Ice Cube or Snoop Dogg. This stuff had basically no popularity among white college students, though, and was actually made fun of quite a bit. We used to make fun of it and say "rap is not music;it is timed talking". Turning any rap up in a dorm resulted in a unanimous "turn that S*&t off!!". Alternative with a little eighties metal and classic rock was what the masses liked, while music majors and musicians tended to like these plus classical, jazz, blues guitar, etc.

When Generation X is referred to as the "hip-hop generation", that must be a reference to black X'ers having acquired a taste for rap and hip-hop over the soul and R&B enjoyed by older black people. The generation where there seems to be a widespread taste for rap is Generation Y, so I would think that they would be called the "Hip-hop Generation". White college students are very into rap these days, but that is a recent thing, and a real cultural shift from the 90's. White Generation X is more the "Pearl Jam Generation".

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Do you know if that is still true these days, 5Lakes?? If so, and you know of any West Side taverns that have regular classic rock cover groups and polka bands, PM the names of those taverns to me if you like

Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 AM

14 posts, read 24,396 times
And if we happen to find that "magic" place without rap...

Please also find a magic place where those of us who get sick of hearing the same, decades old 70s+80s rock or decades old Beetles music can live without having it forced on us in restaurants, while watching sporting events, while shopping, while watching TV, etc.
Same old tired songs, same old tired guitar rifts and chords, tired, tired, tired.
Did you ever stop to think how annoying this pervasive rock music is to non-rock fans?

Also find a place where police funerals can be conducted without having to subject all to the screeching of bagpipes (talk about "not music"). Not every police officer is of Irish decent.

I could go on.
Most of us just learn to be tolerant of these MINOR annoyances and find some way to continue on with our lives (HINT).

Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 AM

403 posts, read 1,185,960 times
Best places to avoid rap music? Is that the new PC way to asking how to avoid minorities or anyone associated with the hip hop lifestyle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.