U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:06 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,683 times

Advertisements

I'm going to say the Midwest begins around the border of PA and Ohio, with Youngstown and Cleveland being Midwestern transition cities. Apparently there is legitimate evidence to put Pittsburgh, not only structurally, architecturally and demographically in the Northeast, but also culturally...

http://faculty.smu.edu/RKEMPER/anth_...al_Regions.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,138,169 times
i would say somewhere in ohio. PA is nothing close to Midwest.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,681 times
There is no "line": there is a great shaded region that stretches from Indiana to central Pennsylvania where you get more northeastern as you go east and more midwestern as you pass west. This would put Cleveland and such right in the middle, making it 50/50. Pittsburgh would be about 80% eastern.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 PM

30,187 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think it starts as you get into the mountains around the PA border. When you go from more manufacturing to coal mining.
You are aware that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, which is only two hours from New York City, was traditionally Pennsylvania's largest hot bed of anthracite coal mining in its heyday, right? We are decidedly Northeastern. I believe State College, PA may actually be the true "dividing line" here. Anything west of there and people say Midwestern terms (i.e. "pop" instead of soda). Anything east of there and you feel Northeastern.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You are aware that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, which is only two hours from New York City, was traditionally Pennsylvania's largest hot bed of anthracite coal mining in its heyday, right? We are decidedly Northeastern. I believe State College, PA may actually be the true "dividing line" here. Anything west of there and people say Midwestern terms (i.e. "pop" instead of soda). Anything east of there and you feel Northeastern.
I think he ment the western border of PA, not the eastern.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM

893 posts, read 444,906 times
Ohio and Pennsylvania is the line.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'd agree. When traveling west to east on I-80, the landscape changes almost immediately when you cross the border into PA. You know you're not in Kansas any more!
The road gets worse, too, as you cross into PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
There is no "line": there is a great shaded region that stretches from Indiana to central Pennsylvania where you get more northeastern as you go east and more midwestern as you pass west. This would put Cleveland and such right in the middle, making it 50/50. Pittsburgh would be about 80% eastern.
There is a huge difference between western Indiana and central Pennsylvania.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 PM

421 posts, read 1,404,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well according to the government the border is at the Ohio/PA line. I'm originally from that region and can tell you things get more noticeably "midwestern" once you get west of Cleveland. I feel eastern Ohio/western PA/western NY is kind of the transition zone between the midwest and east coast.

I think West Virginia might be up for debate, as it's hard to classify.
I agree, 5Lakes. Our little section here is definitely a transition area between Northeast and Midwest. The best description of this neck of the woods I've heard is "Midwest Appalachian". I think one passes into Midwest Appalachian from the East starting at around Clearfield and Altoona in PA, and a little farther East up in NY. Elmira feels pretty Midwest Appalachian and is pop territory, so somewhere around Elmira/Corning and West up there. For WV, Wheeling is totally Midwest Appalachian. Parkersburg is more Midwest meets South, like Cincy.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
There is no way Darlington, PA in the way western part of the state is the midwest, let alone Altoona.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would say the line passes through Toledo and Columbus. Anywhere south of that, there is no line because it's all The South.

Lima OH is definitely a Midwestern town, Sandusky and Youngstown are clearly Northeastern, and Chilicothe is the mid-south, like Kentucky.
Are you kidding me? Southern Ohio for the most part is Midwestern. Cincinnati, Dayton, and most of Southern Ohio are for the most part Midwestern. The true South doesn't begin until you cross the Ohio River into either West Virginia or Kentucky. Most of Ohio I would say is in the Midwest. The Northeast I would say starts near the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and east of Cleveland. You are putting at least 50% of Ohio in the South, and that is far from the truth. Ohio is a Midwestern state. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or