U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
To keep things simple, I'd say Ohio's a Midwestern state, PA's a NE state, and WV's a southern state.

Does every area of each state fully embody the spirit of those regions? Nope. There are exceptions. However, a line has to be drawn somewhere. (By the way, it's hard enough for some deep southerners to recognize WV or KY as southern, so including southern OH, IN, IL, etc is out of the question...)
I agree...I think the inclusion of most of Southern Missouri is in the same boat as Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, and Southern Ohio. Southern Ohio I would say is not exactly in the same boat as Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Missouri because the southernmost extent of it is well north of the southernmost extent of the other three states. And yes, I agree..most deep southerners have a tough time considering WV and KY to be southern, so the inclusion of southern mo, southern ill, southern ind., and southern oh. is out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree...I think the inclusion of most of Southern Missouri is in the same boat as Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, and Southern Ohio. Southern Ohio I would say is not exactly in the same boat as Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Missouri because the southernmost extent of it is well north of the southernmost extent of the other three states. And yes, I agree..most deep southerners have a tough time considering WV and KY to be southern, so the inclusion of southern mo, southern ill, southern ind., and southern oh. is out of the question.

Hmmm i guess ... but then again are they really more in the same boat with Michigan, Minnesota etc?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM

421 posts, read 1,404,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no way Darlington, PA in the way western part of the state is the midwest, let alone Altoona.
I'd say Darlington, over off route 51 there by Chippewa, is quintessential Midwest Appalachian. Think about what Beaver County is similar to. It is more like Toledo or a city in MI than NJ or MD. We talk more like folks in the midwest around this neck of the woods than folks on the East Coast, but a little different from Clevelanders, who have that "eee-accent" you hear in Toledo, up in MI, or in Chicago. We don't bee-ack out of our driveways, but we also don't drink "cwawfee" and "sewda" like Easterners. To folks in NJ, we sound Midwestern. We have the landscape and scenery of Appalachia, though with smaller hills, mated to a Midwestern economy and culture. We may be a little Eastern to folks from Cleveland and West, but we are totally Northern to Southerners, and pretty much Midwestern to folks out in Philly and Jersey.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I'd say Darlington, over off route 51 there by Chippewa, is quintessential Midwest Appalachian. Think about what Beaver County is similar to. It is more like Toledo or a city in MI than NJ or MD. We talk more like folks in the midwest around this neck of the woods than folks on the East Coast, but a little different from Clevelanders, who have that "eee-accent" you hear in Toledo, up in MI, or in Chicago. We don't bee-ack out of our driveways, but we also don't drink "cwawfee" and "sewda" like Easterners. To folks in NJ, we sound Midwestern. We have the landscape and scenery of Appalachia, though with smaller hills, mated to a Midwestern economy and culture. We may be a little Eastern to folks from Cleveland and West, but we are totally Northern to Southerners, and pretty much Midwestern to folks out in Philly and Jersey.
No. You are eastern. No one from the true Midwest considers Pennsylvania part of the Midwest. Do you really think Altoona or Pittsburgh fits in with towns like Lincoln, NE, Minot, ND, or Des Moines, IA? I have a hard time thinking of Cleveland or Youngstown as Midwestern, they seem very Eastern to me. Also, no, you don't sound Midwestern, not even close. Pittsburgh has a very distinct accent that's not found elsewhere. The inland Northeast (including upstate New York, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, western Mass.) doesn't have the Boston/New York "cwafee" accent either. Does that make them Midwestern?

Quote:
. . . . . . that "eee-accent" you hear in Toledo, up in MI, or in Chicago. We don't bee-ack out of our driveways . . . . .
This is extremely, extremely exaggerated. No one here talks this way.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
The Pittsburgh area has a very unique accent, nothing like NJ, and certainly nothing like the midwest. The accent spills over into eastern Ohio a bit.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Hmmm i guess ... but then again are they really more in the same boat with Michigan, Minnesota etc?
No, because they are not the Upper Midwest. I would say they are transition zones between the Midwest and the South. Southern Missouri, Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, and Southern Ohio below Cincinnati, and the Northern half of Kentucky, excluding Louisville and Lexington, are a transition zone between the Midwest and South. Between Highway 50 and Highway 60 is the approximate transition zone.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:37 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
NE Ohio and western PA are the fuzzy boundaries between the northeast and the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or