U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,937,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
It seemed pretty stupid to say something as describes MOST OF EUROPE when one has only been to ONE CITY IN EUROPE. As idiotic as saying all of America is blighted based on a visit to one city. The latter part was tinged with irony which one should have been smart enough to figure out. But to explain things so that it's easy to understand, the basic premise of post: one should NOT make a blanket statement about an entire continent based on a visit to ONE city. Same rule applies to a European who makes a blanket statement about the US based on a visit to one city. I would hope this basic concept is difficult to grasp.
Alright let's clear things up.
My first post was based mainly on articles, books and comments made by people who have been to Europe. Many articles, books, and comments.
Those sources have made me aware that Europe has many issues in common with America. Specifically the issues listed by the OP. And it does!
Someone subsequently told me to go to Europe to see that I am mistaken to which I replied that I had been to Amsterdam, which it seems a lot of people want to have me convinced is not actually in Europe.
Therefore my original statement that the OP had "just described most of Europe" came from many sources including a visit.

BTW, your inclusion of other nations influenced by the British was appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 AM

18,261 posts, read 15,676,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Many could argue under the bush years people lost those freedoms.
Many would be wrong, then. I haven't lost any of my freedom.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Hey, if there's so much Money! Money! Money!, send some my way. I must be doing something wrong.
Not only that, it's kind of hard to live a life without money. Unless you rely on government handouts.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
most of africa? brazil? he is mixed.

China? India? gotta be up there... and lots of them are coming here.
wasn't good enough to stop u.s. military headquarters from getting hit by a jumbo jet apparently and take out the WTC towers.
USSR was pretty diverse
most of europe and japan? and australia?

so are other countries, ussr was in space first.
we often force this on other countries from money funding to hostile takeovers, wto, etc.

just showing you there are counter arguments.
And the U.S. was the first on the moon. And the first to land space crafts on Mars.

BTW, can you list 5 positive things about the U.S.? Or is all you can do is criticize this country.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you don't understand though...America is focused on the money. so if you're not rich, you are miserable. just take a look around at people's faces on a tuesday in any big city. odds are, most are miserable. and it has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with the way in which the media portrays what makes one happy. and want to portray happiness in a certain light to ensure that we Americans are good little consumers. You can't be happy unless you spend, spend, spend! That's not the real way to happiness, as europeans can attest to, so most americans aren't the happiest campers around no matter what they say. and odds are their opinion of happy is seriously swayed compared to the true meaning.
Where do you come up with this baloney? There are millions of middle class Americans who are far from "miserable" and know how fortunate there are to live in the United States of America.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM

4,353 posts, read 4,910,800 times
Default There is no perfect place, no Utopia or Garden of Eden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you don't understand though...America is focused on the money. so if you're not rich, you are miserable. just take a look around at people's faces on a tuesday in any big city. odds are, most are miserable. and it has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with the way in which the media portrays what makes one happy. and want to portray happiness in a certain light to ensure that we Americans are good little consumers. You can't be happy unless you spend, spend, spend! That's not the real way to happiness, as europeans can attest to, so most americans aren't the happiest campers around no matter what they say. and odds are their opinion of happy is seriously swayed compared to the true meaning.
At1, here is a little secret for you, people DO work in other countries! They might not be so happy on Tuesdays either. That the reason they are working is to make MONEY so they can spend, spend, spend!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 AM

129 posts, read 246,591 times
If you dont have national pride then youre a sad person. I love this country to the max, and I wont let anyone tell me different. Sure we have problems, who doesnt? This is the only country where you can be of any race and live the American dream. I am proud to say that I still get goosebumps when Team USA trashes other countries in international basketball. USA til I die!!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,280,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And the U.S. was the first on the moon. And the first to land space crafts on Mars.

BTW, can you list 5 positive things about the U.S.? Or is all you can do is criticize this country.
High quality education, high technology, beautiful landscapes, lots of freshwater, free speech.

Why getting so butt hurt at critique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
If you dont have national pride then youre a sad person. I love this country to the max, and I wont let anyone tell me different. Sure we have problems, who doesnt? This is the only country where you can be of any race and live the American dream. I am proud to say that I still get goosebumps when Team USA trashes other countries in international basketball. USA til I die!!
I'd say you are a sheepish person just the same. It is called nationalism, not necessarily a great thing. I am more cosmopolitan than national...

@ only country with any race living American dream...
Yeah, because other countries aren't multi ethnic... WOW.
Tell that to the Japanese, the Blacks, and the American Indians. U.S. has a pretty bad track record... if you weren't aware.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
High quality education, high technology, beautiful landscapes, lots of freshwater, free speech.

Why getting so butt hurt at critique?
Because I question people who criticize the U.S. 99% of the time.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM

5,356 posts, read 3,328,928 times
The U.S. WAS the best country in the world for a long time. After WWII, most of the rest of the world was either third world, under totalitarian rule, or freshly bombed out. For about 40 years, the U.S. was the most kick-ass place in the world. During that period of time, we received more Nobel Prizes in the sciences then the rest of the world put together. We also developed 2 new forms of music (Rap and Jazz), and get at least half credit for Rock and Roll. So the U.S. kicked ass for a good number of years post world war II.

But eventually the rest of got free and their economies came back around. So now there's much more parity. It depends a lot on what you value. To each their own.

Really, a country is too big unit of measurement to like or dislike. There are great cities all over the world. That's about as big of a unit of measurement that is useful. Of my favorite cities in the world, about half are in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.