U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it?
There is no BEST country. There is a lot of great countries out there.

The US can be considered #1 by certain measurements. It is an economic and military superpower....

The US needs a lot of change IMO, there is a lot that can be done better... but it has the potential.. I think it used to be better in the past, but for the most part.. its a great place, there is a reason so many people want to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Well for starters, how about living here allows you to post this kind of "information" with the right of freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution?
Many could argue under the bush years people lost those freedoms... oh sure they could still be critical of the govt, but the govt in turn set up wires on them and monitored them under the patriot act....

still.. our freedom of speech is a lot further along then other countries and thats something we should be happy about

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I have been to Europe.
Amsterdam to be precise. I was shocked to see graffiti all over the historic buildings. In fact more graffiti than I see in the US.
Amsterdam is also ringed by concrete block ghettos and we were told that it was unsafe at night in city.
wow, LMAO at using Amsterdam as a gauge for Europe. That is like using Las Vegas as a gauge for the U.S. I seriously almost lost bladder control reading your post.

Thanks for letting us know where you get your delusional ideas though. I will keep that in mind for subsequent posts of yours. Hey maybe next time you can go to Ibiza and get a good feel for Europe too...

Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
It's been called that but today many people prefer to move to Canada Australia and Europe instead of USA.
That'd be nice if it was true..

however the US still is the largest acceptor of legal immigrants and takes in more then twice as much as the 2nd closest country.... not that people don't want to go to those other countries, but we are still the #1 place people go to.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activefitness65 View Post
Is it the best?
No. It's not.
Is it the worst?
No. It's not.

Americans are fed 'propaganda' to believe it's the best. But as 90% don't have a passport - how would you know?
Last check 21% of Americans have a passport, with the new laws for Canada and Mexico probably more will get it.

Consider the ease of travel in Europe and Asia... now look at the US its got Canada to the north and Mexico to the south, both sizable countries compared to our counterparts overseas where going to a different country is like going to a different state.... and people never used to need a passport to enter those countries from the US.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 20,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
wow, LMAO at using Amsterdam as a gauge for Europe. That is like using Las Vegas as a gauge for the U.S. I seriously almost lost bladder control reading your post.

Thanks for letting us know where you get your delusional ideas though. I will keep that in mind for subsequent posts of yours.
Ok, then I'm gonna go on with the list of cities:

Barcelona: Traveling through Callea and Barcelona last summer I was really shocked. It smelled like urine and I always had to watch my steps because there were so much barf lying on the ground.

Rom: Also last summer I went to Rom. I havent seen that much crime before. The police was unfriendly. The city was unclean everything was a mess. It is very expensive ...

Paris: Paris is actually a nice city if you stay on the main roads. If not you should arm yourself with something stronger than a baguette. The extent of crime is awful.

I know all these are tourist cities. But Munich or Berlin, San Francisco or LA are not that bad as I experienced

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,060 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It isn't...

It only has the strongest military currently.
Oh that's it! Huh grapico.
We are the richest nation on the planet.
We are the top producer of durable goods (including China).

And we matter the most.

Quote:
This is a better gauge...

UN Human Development Index of Quality of Life
  1. Iceland
  2. Norway
  3. Canada
  4. Australia
  5. Ireland
  6. Netherlands
  7. Sweden
  8. Japan
  9. Luxembourg
  10. Switzerland
  11. France
  12. Finland
  13. Denmark
  14. Austria
  15. United States
I've been to all those except Japan and Australia and would agree. Anyone care to refute?
A better gauge than what?!
The US has a huge black inner city underclass and a huge illegal immigrant underclass that none of the nations you listed has.
Those factors increase our health deficiencies exponentially. You can't just list this crap without taking into account such factors. It is completely disingenuous!

Quote:
As for propaganda, we get it through constant media, and public education... it is a form of indoctrination to the nation. Just because we are not classified as a totalitarian state does not mean we are not subject to certain elements.
Complete and utter B.S.!

Quote:
People in the U.S. can more easily jump classes...get rich, if they buy into it. but they can also be punished faster too... all of them are controlled by elites though, there is no pluralism here...The U.S. just puts on a better charade, than say the elites in France. Human genetics have not changed that much, they still want power.
More B.S.!

Quote:
One look at these countries and you might think, hey...those are more secular nations. But the U.S. is pretty secular too, the God that rules this land is the almighty dollar.
And I suppose that you are above all that making money crap, huh grapico?

Quote:
Ever take a world history class abroad? They aren't teaching the same stuff....
Why would they? They live in other nations. You make no sense.
Without lying to me. Have you ever taken history classes abroad?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
the gap is widening all across the world. and why wouldn't it? if you were super rich, you wouldn't want poor people getting what you have. that's not just a german or american trend, it's a world-wide phenomenon. thus, getting rid of the middle class slowly over time.

the thing about Obama is he's not some savior off the street. his presidency was calculated. do you know he's not even from chicago? he's from hawaii. he just leached onto chicago for "street cred" and political success.

the real fact of the matter, which no one can deny, is Obama is cousins with George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

No kissing among cousins: Obama, Bush are kin : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

no normal person could ever be President. It's all contrived.
Alex Jones??? is that you?? LOL JK.

You can link almost anyone as related if you try... look it up, statistically we are all probably related in the US.

Honestly tho.. why do I see so many people complain, and no one wanting to put in the effort to do anything to REALLY change things here. It used to seem more impossible as the media had a grip on everything, but thats not the case anymore...

this is the age of the internet... media is youtube now.. anyone can spread ideas... and yet everyone continues to keep quiet and just complain on forums LOL. eh i'm guilty too..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,060 times
Quote:
quote=grapico;8025227wow, LMAO at using Amsterdam as a gauge for Europe. That is like using Las Vegas as a gauge for the U.S. I seriously almost lost bladder control reading your post.
FYI, Las Vegas is not equal to Amsterdam. That is a pretty dumb statement.

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know where you get your delusional ideas though. I will keep that in mind for subsequent posts of yours. Hey maybe next time you can go to Ibiza and get a good feel for Europe too...
And I'll keep your propaganda foolishness in mind next time I read yours.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcChristopher View Post
Ok, then I'm gonna go on with the list of cities:

Barcelona: Traveling through Callea and Barcelona last summer I was really shocked. It smelled like urine and I always had to watch my steps because there were so much barf lying on the ground.

Rom: Also last summer I went to Rom. I havent seen that much crime before. The police was unfriendly. The city was unclean everything was a mess. It is very expensive ...

Paris: Paris is actually a nice city if you stay on the main roads. If not you should arm yourself with something stronger than a baguette. The extent of crime is awful.

I know all these are tourist cities. But Munich or Berlin, San Francisco or LA are not that bad as I experienced
There will be people who refute your claim. I personally have wandered around Paris at 3am and did not feel unsafe and I asked for directions and was helped. Same in Amsterdam or Rome. There are areas to avoid, just like many American cities.

Now someone in Europe can point out cities in the US with high crime rates - Detroit, Cleveland and you'd probably respond that is not all America. Neither is Rome, Paris or Barcelona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.