U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times

Advertisements

I believe in freedom of speech, but I don't think our new president does and many of the democratic congress want to limit what one can say. My ancestors started this country and as long as we still have a freedoms, we will be the greatest nation, but this redistribution of wealth needs to stop. If you want money in America, you are free to earn it. It is not something you are entitled to because you are a citizen. Wish we could get rid of the crooks in congress, but even my state keeps sending trash up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It isn't...

It only has the strongest military currently.

This is a better gauge...

UN Human Development Index of Quality of Life
  1. Iceland
  2. Norway
  3. Canada
  4. Australia
  5. Ireland
  6. Netherlands
  7. Sweden
  8. Japan
  9. Luxembourg
  10. Switzerland
  11. France
  12. Finland
  13. Denmark
  14. Austria
  15. United States
I've been to all those except Japan and Australia and would agree. Anyone care to refute?

As for propaganda, we get it through constant media, and public education... it is a form of indoctrination to the nation. Just because we are not classified as a totalitarian state does not mean we are not subject to certain elements.

People in the U.S. can more easily jump classes...get rich, if they buy into it. but they can also be punished faster too... all of them are controlled by elites though, there is no pluralism here...The U.S. just puts on a better charade, than say the elites in France. Human genetics have not changed that much, they still want power.

One look at these countries and you might think, hey...those are more secular nations. But the U.S. is pretty secular too, the God that rules this land is the almighty dollar.

Ever take a world history class abroad? They aren't teaching the same stuff....
You realize it has Iceland as #1... which is true of course based on their ratings but also Iceland is:

The first western country to borrow from the IMF since 1976. It's national debt is over 8 times its GDP... their government collapsed earlier this year and reformed shortly after...

Corporate propaganda has infected nearly every country, not just the US... and that includes all that you listed.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM

419 posts, read 1,162,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I believe in freedom of speech, but I don't think our new president does and many of the democratic congress want to limit what one can say. My ancestors started this country and as long as we still have a freedoms, we will be the greatest nation, but this redistribution of wealth needs to stop. If you want money in America, you are free to earn it. It is not something you are entitled to because you are a citizen. Wish we could get rid of the crooks in congress, but even my state keeps sending trash up there.
LOL... you know Bush and the republican congress supported welfare right? Corporate welfare... they just gave more and more money to the corporations and the rich... is that what you prefer?

Look i'm more with Ron Paul on this... corporations that don't perform well and strangle their employees while giving themselves huge bonuses.. they need to collapse and let em die... the republicans are just as bad as the democrats...

As far as Obama and his "welfare" you speak of... I don't see anything wrong with giving the working class a tax break...to bad it wasn't enough. He should have just suspended income taxes period.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
You realize it has Iceland as #1... which is true of course based on their ratings but also Iceland is:

The first western country to borrow from the IMF since 1976. It's national debt is over 8 times its GDP... their government collapsed earlier this year and reformed shortly after...

Corporate propaganda has infected nearly every country, not just the US... and that includes all that you listed.
This is 2008 data, yes countries will shift, usa actually went down from 2007 to 2008

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Our love for college football puts us over the top. (For all of you that take yourselves too seriously, please note sarcasm.)

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,137,665 times
still though, america pales in comparison to countries like spain, france, germany, sweden, etc. when it comes to everything. whether it be quality of life or what not. and you see, that's the difference between places like canada, france, germany and then the united states. in the USA, the dollar is #1 and then human life. in europe and canada, for the most part, human quality of life is #1 and then making a profit.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM

812 posts, read 2,115,204 times
grapico, that was the best and most realistic post. the day to day quality of life vs just power.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
[quote=TomDot;8025417]
Quote:

Oh that's it! Huh grapico.
We are the richest nation on the planet.
We are the top producer of durable goods (including China).

And we matter the most.
That economy is not per capita gdp, only total. If China passes us, will you say they will be a better country? This is how easy those #'s can be made irrelevant. We matter the most? Ahhh, that is the attitude making USA go backwards. But that line makes me understand your bias along with the Amsterdam post.

Quote:
A better gauge than what?!
The US has a huge black inner city underclass and a huge illegal immigrant underclass that none of the nations you listed has.
Those factors increase our health deficiencies exponentially. You can't just list this crap without taking into account such factors. It is completely disingenuous!

Complete and utter B.S.!
They are still u.s. citizens aren't they? Black underclass? ...illegal underclass, there is a lot of underclass period. Thing is, other countries had these too but did something about it.

Quote:
More B.S.!

And I suppose that you are above all that making money crap, huh grapico?

Why would they? They live in other nations. You make no sense.
Without lying to me. Have you ever taken history classes abroad?
Money is more a means to an end, U.S. is pretty materialist in comparison to others.

Why yes I have... at Oxford... is that good enough for you?

https://international.fsu.edu/Types/...d/England.aspx

Thx and nice bias, it is to be expected on this board really.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So you got an AIG retention bonus, eh?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Why yes I have... at Oxford... is that good enough for you?

https://international.fsu.edu/Types/...d/England.aspx

Thx and nice bias, it is to be expected on this board really.
Beyond the propaganda being infused into the minds of our young people, what is the difference between the history taught to you at Oxford and that which would be taught at an American University? We'll use Harvard as an example as it is one of the few schools that could be considered on par with Oxford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.