U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,821,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I really am starting to loathe other people decrying America's supposed lack of culture. This is the country that brought the rest of the world the blues, jazz and rock and roll. THIS is culture. Our culture has dominated the rest of the world for the past century, and this influence isn't going to wane anytime soon. Our importance isn't limited to just military strength or economic might. A trend fashioned here ripples everywhere across the globe. Our jeeringly decried pop-culture influence may not be considered by a European to be as high-brow as their own, but the Greeks thought the same of the "sub-quality" work the Romans produced.

America is to the rest of the world now what Rome was to Europe and N. Africa at the time of Christ's birth. There are imperfections in the edifice to be sure, but the structure is solid and will stand for quite some time. We influence what everybody else does everywhere. Think about this, one little burp in our economy spins the rest of the world into a tailspin. We are the world's leader, benchmark and lightning rod. Anyone who disagrees with this is suffering from a severe case of sour grapitis
Uh, not really.. at the most America is to the rest of the world what Britain was in the 19th Century (even that is highly debatable). Rome codified and exported High Culture (not sub-quality work as you state), just as Britain did in its apex; this ability to export customs and standards is very critical. America for all its strength pales compared to what the British and Romans were able to do. The US exports pop culture, which is fickle and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Many modern cultural elements and traditions the world follows owe directly to little Britain and not the US, from dress fashion (suits, shirts, ties), to sports (soccer, tennis, golf), to the parliamentary system. The world still plays tennis according to the rules and peculiarities codified by the British. We are really the only country that plays American Football, our biggest sport.

America's real strength comes from its size, not the brilliance of its culture. In this sense, America is a lot like China. And as the uneducated segments of its population outbreeds the rest (ratios of 5 to 1.5), the US could very easily find itself in a few more generations just like China in the 17th-20th Centuries: a large population of arrogant ignoramuses with less and less resources to exploit. Let China be a lesson. China didn't decline overnight, much of the reasons for China's decline were demographic and a little something called the high level equilibrium trap.

Last edited by Guineas; 03-25-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,354,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
America's real strength comes from its size, not the brilliance of its culture. In this sense, America is a lot like China. And as the uneducated segments of its population outbreeds the rest, the US could very easily find itself in a few more generations just like China in the 17th-19th Centuries: a large population of arrogant ignoramuses with less and less resources to exploit.
This quote about the "uneducated segments" is a good one. We can see this happening from year to year.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,331,152 times
Quote:
quote=Guineas;8044022Uh, not really.. at the most America is to the rest of the world what Britain was in the 19th Century (even that is highly debatable). Rome codified and exported High Culture (not sub-quality work as you state), just as Britain did in its apex; this ability to export customs and standards is very critical. America for all its strength pales compared to what the British and Romans were able to do. The US exports pop culture, which is fickle and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Many modern cultural elements and traditions the world follows owe directly to little Britain and not the US, from dress fashion (suits, shirts, ties), to sports (soccer, tennis, golf), to the parliamentary system. The world still plays tennis according to the rules and peculiarities codified by the British. We are really the only country that plays American Football, our biggest sport.
As far as culture goes, the sun truly never sets on the British Empire. Think about where India, South Africa, Australia, or North America would be if the Brits had not exported "Britishness".
We are the most benign superpower the world has ever known. We live in a world today where if we attempted to export anything beyond our movies and McDonald's, there would be an Anti-Americanism uproar of legendary proportions. Half of it coming from our own populace.
As far as world history goes, this is the American moment and nothing will really come from it.

Quote:
America's real strength comes from its size, not the brilliance of its culture. In this sense, America is a lot like China. And as the uneducated segments of its population outbreeds the rest (ratios of 5 to 1.5), the US could very easily find itself in a few more generations just like China in the 17th-20th Centuries: a large population of arrogant ignoramuses with less and less resources to exploit. Let China be a lesson. China didn't decline overnight, much of the reasons for China's decline were demographic and a little something called the high level equilibrium trap.
First half of post brilliant, second half was the ranting of an arrogant ignoramus.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,592,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it?
Oh I don't know, maybe because of freedom, more opportunities, more jobs exist here. I just can't believe people would complain about America. Life in most other countries is miserable and yet we are so lucky here. Don't complain!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:40 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,156,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh I don't know, maybe because of freedom, more opportunities, more jobs exist here. I just can't believe people would complain about America. Life in most other countries is miserable and yet we are so lucky here. Don't complain!
you don't understand though...America is focused on the money. so if you're not rich, you are miserable. just take a look around at people's faces on a tuesday in any big city. odds are, most are miserable. and it has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with the way in which the media portrays what makes one happy. and want to portray happiness in a certain light to ensure that we Americans are good little consumers. You can't be happy unless you spend, spend, spend! That's not the real way to happiness, as europeans can attest to, so most americans aren't the happiest campers around no matter what they say. and odds are their opinion of happy is seriously swayed compared to the true meaning.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,102,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Uh, not really.. at the most America is to the rest of the world what Britain was in the 19th Century (even that is highly debatable). Rome codified and exported High Culture (not sub-quality work as you state), just as Britain did in its apex; this ability to export customs and standards is very critical. America for all its strength pales compared to what the British and Romans were able to do. The US exports pop culture, which is fickle and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Many modern cultural elements and traditions the world follows owe directly to little Britain and not the US, from dress fashion (suits, shirts, ties), to sports (soccer, tennis, golf), to the parliamentary system. The world still plays tennis according to the rules and peculiarities codified by the British. We are really the only country that plays American Football, our biggest sport.

You're wrong on many counts, and I'd even written a detailed explanation (as I'm wont to do) expounding the finer points that seem to have been lost in the ether during your formal education, but that too was lost in the ether, this time the city-data server trouble ether. Instead of going down that route again, I'll use the socratic method and allow you to uncover your own mistakes in fact and logic, thereby teaching you a greater lesson than would be achievable by explaining everything myself. However, I'll give you a hint to set you down the correct path: Think timeline.

Also, and as an aside for your benefit in your quest to become a better person, using impressive sociological or other esoteric terminology that may be unfamiliar to many readers may make you feel more authoritative, but they don't make you look like an expert, just a third year undergraduate student. That isn't intended as an insult so please don't take it as such. It's just a word of advice.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,102,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
you don't understand though...America is focused on the money. so if you're not rich, you are miserable.
Not true. I'm not rich, but I'm pretty happy. I suppose defining yourself by what you want and against what others have is certainly a path to unhappiness, so perhaps instead you should figure out who you are and learn what it takes to make yourself happy. Just because the media tells you to watch tv and buy expensive cars and put a down payment on a credit card for a house too big for your needs doesn't mean you have to do it. Or even that you have to believe it.

[qoute] and odds are their opinion of happy is seriously swayed compared to the true meaning.[/quote]

So what is the true meaning? And I expect some serious swami, climbed-to-the-top-of-the-mountain buddha advice here. Is there only one meaning of happiness? Is there only one path available to reach it? Is it a sound centered in the creation of the universe? Is it the laughter of children? Because seriously, if there's only one true definition, I've got to learn to stop laughing at ribald jokes and puns. I thought they made me happy, but I suppose it is all just a ruse to promote consumerism in these United States of America.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,191,823 times
for the most part, human quality of life is #1 and then making a profit.

You are certainly joking.
Speaking from what I know, French superbosses -all helped by the State, by the way-get millions in bonuses or golden parachutes even when their corporations go bankrupt!
And I invite you to visit thorougly Paris, people living in tents in the streets or under the bridges over the river Seine. And believe me, it's pretty rough, because nights in Paris are FREEZING from October to May!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM

812 posts, read 2,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I really am starting to loathe other people decrying America's supposed lack of culture. This is the country that brought the rest of the world the blues, jazz and rock and roll. THIS is culture. Our culture has dominated the rest of the world for the past century, and this influence isn't going to wane anytime soon. Our importance isn't limited to just military strength or economic might. A trend fashioned here ripples everywhere across the globe. Our jeeringly decried pop-culture influence may not be considered by a European to be as high-brow as their own, but the Greeks thought the same of the "sub-quality" work the Romans produced.

America is to the rest of the world now what Rome was to Europe and N. Africa at the time of Christ's birth. There are imperfections in the edifice to be sure, but the structure is solid and will stand for quite some time. We influence what everybody else does everywhere. Think about this, one little burp in our economy spins the rest of the world into a tailspin. We are the world's leader, benchmark and lightning rod. Anyone who disagrees with this is suffering from a severe case of sour grapitis
i can see by this post why america is declining. do you not get that "culture" is subjective. i "loathe" the redundant bragging and even though culture spreads doesn't mean all elements of a culture are positive, good or wanted. yes, much of it will be incorporated and vice versa.

it's obvious to any one with half a brain that liking a culture or having a sense of "home" is personal with personal tastes regarding architecture, environment, cuisine, art and other intangibles and tangibles etc. it's much more complicated than what you are making it seem. that's why germans may love germany or the french may love france. geezus christ!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM

55,860 posts, read 74,871,719 times
anything i would say on this subject would be perceived as utter nonesense unless you have lived and worked in a foreign country for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.