U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM

22,250 posts, read 23,760,468 times

Advertisements

America is certainly one of the best countries in the world--that doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's got a lot more going for it than most.

When it comes to equality, America ranks well especially over its large and diverse population. Added to that, we have a lot more social mobility here than compared to most developed nations. This is, again, not to say that there aren't a good number of goofs, blunders, and downright travesties happening here (as we are all probably well aware of), but at the very least we have a press that's diligent enough to cover it, and a government that's at least semi-transparent (though those last eight years were a bit of a downer).

As far as culture goes, America's been at the forefront for almost every low, high, and midbrow arts & entertainment you can think of. No, we don't have an illustrious history of millennia-old works to draw from, but for what history we have (and to talk of contemporary works), this country has seen some and continue to produce exciting works.

There are a lot of achievements that people here can be collectively proud of, and it's good for people to do so for the most part, because that pride can temper a critical eye from just naysaying everything into an earnest desire to make things better.

</ranting/raving>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM

880 posts, read 2,533,533 times
I would not say its the best country in the world, but it is one of the better ones.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,097,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i can see by this post why america is declining.
Is it the poor grammar? Is it my impassioned defense of a true, shared culture of which I am also a part? Do you see decline or decadence when a person stands up for themself? By this leap of logic, you may also find a person to lack in character when they defend a member of their family who is under attack. Personally, I find it irresponsible and indicative of a lack of character when someone baselessly attacks anyone or anything, especially when backed by poorly conceived notions founded in ignorance.

Quote:
do you not get that "culture" is subjective.
I'm trying to determine if this is a question or statement, but for the purposes of my next few sentences, I'll treat it as a question. Culture is not subjective. Tastes in culture and personal preferences are subjective. I have a friend who refuses to eat tomatoes. That's his prerogative. But it's not culture. Certainly, culture isn't quantifiable, but it is qualifiable. To suggest otherwise would mean a number of cultural anthropologists and sociologists should look for other jobs.

Quote:
i "loathe" the redundant bragging and even though culture spreads doesn't mean all elements of a culture are positive, good or wanted. yes, much of it will be incorporated and vice versa.
Defending the merits of one's country isn't bragging. It's defense. If it weren't attacked, I wouldn't have discussed it. And to deny America's role in the world is plain asinine.

Quote:
it's obvious to any one with half a brain that liking a culture or having a sense of "home" is personal with personal tastes regarding architecture, environment, cuisine, art and other intangibles and tangibles etc. it's much more complicated than what you are making it seem. that's why germans may love germany or the french may love france. geezus christ!
Are you suggesting that half of my brain is missing? Perhaps from a lobotomy or a botched lasik eye surgery? Rest assured, both lobes of my brain are intact and fully functioning. No worries there. Again, culture is not subjective, but we can agree that your preferences most definitely are. If you don't "like" American culture, that's fine, but your preference doesn't negate its existence (or its influence for that matter). That's obvious to anyone with an entire brain.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

343 posts, read 1,263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
America is certainly one of the best countries in the world--that doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's got a lot more going for it than most.

When it comes to equality, America ranks well especially over its large and diverse population. Added to that, we have a lot more social mobility here than compared to most developed nations. This is, again, not to say that there aren't a good number of goofs, blunders, and downright travesties happening here (as we are all probably well aware of), but at the very least we have a press that's diligent enough to cover it, and a government that's at least semi-transparent (though those last eight years were a bit of a downer).

As far as culture goes, America's been at the forefront for almost every low, high, and midbrow arts & entertainment you can think of. No, we don't have an illustrious history of millennia-old works to draw from, but for what history we have (and to talk of contemporary works), this country has seen some and continue to produce exciting works.

There are a lot of achievements that people here can be collectively proud of, and it's good for people to do so for the most part, because that pride can temper a critical eye from just naysaying everything into an earnest desire to make things better.

</ranting/raving>

I second this, where else in the world is a black man like Obama able to rise to the most prominent position?

What other nation produces more scientist, doctors, researchers, teachers etc?

What other nation has the military might of America?

What other nation has its strength in diveristy like America?

What other nation I ask? None.

America is not perfect, but its still a symbol of human aspirations.

I agree with what one of the posters stated earlier. Modern day American is very simililar in stature to what Rome was for a very very long time. The United States is not perfect, but it still is the largest exporter of cultural ideas and technology to the rest of the world. Even as much as Canadians do not like to admit it, most of Canadian culture is highly influneced by America, the same goes for the rest of the world.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,557,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
We are the richest nation on the planet.
I assume you mean the largest GDP (PPP and nominal). Otherwise, Qatar would be the richest nation in the world (per capita income is about US$100,000).

Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,609,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I second this, where else in the world is a black man like Obama able to rise to the most prominent position?
most of africa? brazil? he is mixed.

Quote:
What other nation produces more scientist, doctors, researchers, teachers etc?
China? India? gotta be up there... and lots of them are coming here.
Quote:
What other nation has the military might of America?
wasn't good enough to stop u.s. military headquarters from getting hit by a jumbo jet apparently and take out the WTC towers.
Quote:
What other nation has its strength in diveristy like America?
USSR was pretty diverse
Quote:
What other nation I ask? None.
most of europe and japan? and australia?

Quote:
America is not perfect, but its still a symbol of human aspirations.
so are other countries, ussr was in space first.
Quote:
I agree with what one of the posters stated earlier. Modern day American is very simililar in stature to what Rome was for a very very long time. The United States is not perfect, but it still is the largest exporter of cultural ideas and technology to the rest of the world. Even as much as Canadians do not like to admit it, most of Canadian culture is highly influneced by America, the same goes for the rest of the world.
we often force this on other countries from money funding to hostile takeovers, wto, etc.

just showing you there are counter arguments.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,117,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Is it the poor grammar? Is it my impassioned defense of a true, shared culture of which I am also a part? Do you see decline or decadence when a person stands up for themself? By this leap of logic, you may also find a person to lack in character when they defend a member of their family who is under attack. Personally, I find it irresponsible and indicative of a lack of character when someone baselessly attacks anyone or anything, especially when backed by poorly conceived notions founded in ignorance.

I'm trying to determine if this is a question or statement, but for the purposes of my next few sentences, I'll treat it as a question. Culture is not subjective. Tastes in culture and personal preferences are subjective. I have a friend who refuses to eat tomatoes. That's his prerogative. But it's not culture. Certainly, culture isn't quantifiable, but it is qualifiable. To suggest otherwise would mean a number of cultural anthropologists and sociologists should look for other jobs.

Defending the merits of one's country isn't bragging. It's defense. If it weren't attacked, I wouldn't have discussed it. And to deny America's role in the world is plain asinine.

Are you suggesting that half of my brain is missing? Perhaps from a lobotomy or a botched lasik eye surgery? Rest assured, both lobes of my brain are intact and fully functioning. No worries there. Again, culture is not subjective, but we can agree that your preferences most definitely are. If you don't "like" American culture, that's fine, but your preference doesn't negate its existence (or its influence for that matter). That's obvious to anyone with an entire brain.
Quote:
that's an achievement. it's obvious quality of life is subjective beyond basic necessities where personal taste and culture come into play.
No, this was my post. YOU took it as an affront where there was none. that means you have a problem with arrogance in regards to your nationalist ideals. that statement is a fact, clearly making it understood that "best" and "worst" is subjective in regards to personal inclinations on what culture or country appeals to them. your reaction is LUDICROUS but more importantly is revealing that you can't seem to accept that another culture or country may be preferred as if someone must agree that every country must be "worst" OR IT'S AN AFFRONT.

Your whole reaction is like a poorly veiled circus with your feigning and misplaced indignation to ignore the fact people don't always care to live in a country based on the same ideals. they don't care to live in america because armstrong walked on the moon when they may like thier home country. maybe they prefer thier own culture or even think it's better! yeah, that's possible. even with everything america has achieved, it doesn't mean it "personally" appeals to them as "america" has it's own culture and way of life. so calling it "the best country in the world" is usually and mistakenly tied to the silly notion (by americans) that everyone should like to live there or they are crazy or in denial.

Yes, america has major influence in the world, has achieved many great things and has spread it's own cultural elements. It is most definitely the country that is calling all the shots right now. But i'm not someone who cares about that type of ideal. I'm not even that hip on conjectures of china becoming a superpower. i don't think "the best country in the world" denoting to live, is even possible as there are too many factors to consider in relation to the vast differences and tastes.

i think the most "realistic" outcome is that countries look after their own self-interests. trying to be the "best" country or better than so and so is in the long run an empty endeavor as a healthy nation eventually stabilizes to just take care of it's citizens.

Last edited by leaana; 03-26-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,097,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
No, this was my post. YOU took it as an affront where there was none. that means you have a problem with arrogance in regards to your nationalist ideals. that statement is a fact, clearly making it understood that "best" and "worst" is subjective in regards to personal inclinations on what culture or country appeals to them. your reaction is LUDICROUS but more importantly is revealing that you can't seem to accept that another culture or country may be preferred as if someone must agree that every country must be "worst" OR IT'S AN AFFRONT.

Your whole reaction is like a poorly veiled circus with your feigning and misplaced indignation to ignore the fact people don't always care to live in a country based on the same ideals. they don't care to live in america because armstrong walked on the moon when they may like thier home country. maybe they prefer thier own culture or even think it's better! yeah, that's possible. even with everything america has achieved, it doesn't mean it "personally" appeals to them as "america" has it's own culture and way of life. so calling it "the best country in the world" is usually and mistakenly tied to the silly notion (by americans) that everyone should like to live there or they are crazy or in denial.

Yes, america has major influence in the world, has achieved many great things and has spread it's own cultural elements. It is most definitely the country that is calling all the shots right now. But i'm not someone who cares about that type of ideal. I'm not even that hip on conjectures of china becoming a superpower. i don't think "the best country in the world" denoting to live, is even possible as there are too many factors to consider in relation to the vast differences and tastes.

i think the most "realistic" outcome is that countries look after their own self-interests. trying to be the "best" country or better than so and so is in the long run an empty endeavor as a healthy nation eventually stabilizes to just take care of it's citizens.
*Sigh*

Your entire discourse is veiled in circumlocution and flawed logic. You entirely missed the point when you glossed over the fact I was defending that America does indeed have culture, and this culture is dominant in the world. Let's get past your I statements and disregard entirely your subjective opinions for a moment. If you reread everything I wrote on the subject, you'll never see the word "best" written as a descriptor in my defense of my country. Dominant? Yes. Influential? Yes. Strength, Might, Leader, Benchmark and Lightning Rod? All yes.

I suggest a number of posters (attn mods: I'm not singling any one person out here) on this site need to bone up on their logic and language usage skills before attacking me.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,486,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
As far as culture goes, the sun truly never sets on the British Empire. Think about where India, South Africa, Australia, or North America would be if the Brits had not exported "Britishness".
What about these examples of "Britishness": Bangladesh, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe... quite a few more...

Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM

426 posts, read 507,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by activefitness65 View Post
Americans are fed 'propaganda' to believe it's the best. But as 90% don't have a passport - how would you know?
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.