U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I have been to Europe.
Amsterdam to be precise. I was shocked to see graffiti all over the historic buildings. In fact more graffiti than I see in the US.
Amsterdam is also ringed by concrete block ghettos and we were told that it was unsafe at night in city.
I have been to America.
Detroit to be precise. I was shocked to see graffiti all over the historic abandoned buildings. In fact more graffiti than I see in Europe.
Detroit is also ringed by ghettos and we were told that it was unsafe day or night in city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,320,853 times
The problems with considering ourselves to be Number One:
-very little incentive to improve anything (why improve? We're already the greatest. All other nations should strive to be like us.)
-Being the greatest is a subtle way to say that other nations and cultures are just dirt.
-If you take the concept of bragging; how many people like a person who declares himself to be the greatest "I've got it all together! None of you other people are even close to my superiorities!"
America surely is one of the best places to live. It's just too bad that those who think improvements can be made are blasted as America haters.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,094,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The problems with considering ourselves to be Number One:
-very little incentive to improve anything (why improve? We're already the greatest. All other nations should strive to be like us.)
The incentive to retain the dominant position shouldn't be discounted.

Quote:
-Being the greatest is a subtle way to say that other nations and cultures are just dirt.
Not really. That's a stretch in reasoning, but even if that were the case, that's still preferable to some form of Orwellian doublespeak: All countries are equal, some are just more equal than others. I prefer arrogance to manipulation or misguided attempts at enforced hegemony.

Quote:
-If you take the concept of bragging; how many people like a person who declares himself to be the greatest "I've got it all together! None of you other people are even close to my superiorities!"
Any enterprise that occupies the top position in any endeavor won't be liked by those at the bottom. It isn't the flippancy of the citizenry that causes people of other nations to despise America. It's our position as the global leader.

Quote:
America surely is one of the best places to live. It's just too bad that those who think improvements can be made are blasted as America haters.
I DO most definitely agree with this. This nation is great, but there is room for much improvement. I like living here, but I'm not a cheerleader. I'll eat the cookies, but I won't drink the kool-aid. This doesn't make me a misanthropic anti-patriot. I can be a good citizen even if I think change is good.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,320,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post

Not really. That's a stretch in reasoning, but even if that were the case, that's still preferable to some form of Orwellian doublespeak: All countries are equal, some are just more equal than others. I prefer arrogance to manipulation or misguided attempts at enforced hegemony.

Any enterprise that occupies the top position in any endeavor won't be liked by those at the bottom. It isn't the flippancy of the citizenry that causes people of other nations to despise America. It's our position as the global leader.

I DO most definitely agree with this. This nation is great, but there is room for much improvement. I like living here, but I'm not a cheerleader. I'll eat the cookies, but I won't drink the kool-aid. This doesn't make me a misanthropic anti-patriot. I can be a good citizen even if I think change is good.
**Sitting position? Prone position? It all depends on which position is important.

**I'll agree that not all countries are equal. I think arrogance is one of the faults Americans see in the French. It's always easier to find faults in others.
Many Americans like to compare America with Third World dictatorships. Sort of like looking down to see how far up we are, instead of looking up to a higher standard.

**America is a global leader in may categories. That is something in which to take pride. Anybody can be a braggart, even a 300 lb muscle builder. I don't particularly admire brawny guys with muscles whose main talent is the potential to beat up anyone. Or one who says, "I'm the boss here, do as I tell you, or I'm gonna bust your head open". An ox is a strong animal, but it's not very smart.
Being an oddball (I really am one) I will listen to people who base their claim to leadership on brain rather than brawn. America has plenty of educated intellectuals, but they are despised (and marginalized to insignificance) by the masses.

Please don't take my opinions personally, because they are not written as such. I grew up in America and I'm glad about it. It's a great place to live. I would like to see some improvements. One of the things that should be resolved is the vicious divide because we all have more in common with each other than most Americans want to admit.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM

812 posts, read 2,116,374 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: see comment Forced hegemony? i don't like many things about america and many people don't prefer america. those things i don't prefer someone else may think is what makes it great and vice versa. i see america as a forced hegemony and an artificial one for the most part. Many millionaires live in other countries because they like it more. Moderator cut: see comment

It's the silliest notion and quite conveniently flipped (OF THE AMERICAN LIKES OF YOU) that understanding just basic preferences means america is being forced into a world-wide hegemony with others when in fact it's america who has that mindset that can't understand why everybody doesn't want the whole world to become an america. the predictable quips of 'our culture spreads blah blah' is secondary to the basic real point. of course it would but that doesn't mean i or anyone else can't differentiate the positives or negatives of a culture in regard to personal preferences.

Countries defined as equal or not, superior or inferior etc have little to do with one's "personal" assessment of what is superior or inferior to them and the environment they want to live in because although america may be a developed country and world leader, maybe the con for another is they can't stand the culture or the lifestyle. Maybe they don't perceive it as great to them. Maybe they find obscure island life better, a city like rome, paris, tokyo or the quaintness of some european danish town. these are all relative.

And I don't agree it's the best country because the litmus test for many is whether you prefer it and that's a myriad of personal complexities involved. Your neighborhood, language, neighbors, culture, customs etc all are involved. Just because you like something doesn't mean everybody does.

Some people despise america for different reasons but some people will like some places over another place to live if they have traveled. what is it about that you don't get??

whether you like or not, doesn't mean people despise it just to spite you or america because it's a 'global' leader. it may be overexposure, there may be elements of culture they find distasteful or feel is negative to theirs etc. i've even had australian friends who despised american culture, were downright angry and blamed america for the perceived negative influence on their young etc. people have other cultural tastes besides just americana or may prefer the culture or ambiance of another country. it's so obvious yet so lost on many americans Moderator cut: see comment that agreeing america has a culture is just like trying to appease an self-centered toddler. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 03-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Deleted 5 sentences. Per the TOS, we may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,322,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have been to America.
Detroit to be precise. I was shocked to see graffiti all over the historic abandoned buildings. In fact more graffiti than I see in Europe.
Detroit is also ringed by ghettos and we were told that it was unsafe day or night in city.
Hmmm let's go over this.

17271 said:
"I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it? "

I replied by saying that he just described most of Europe. In other words I was just pointing out that these blights exist everywhere.

Visvaldi said: You obviously have never been to Europe

I replied by outlining some of the blight that I actually saw in Amsterdam.

Then you remark about how blighted Detroit is. When I never denied that any US city had blight. I simply tried to point out that blight exists elsewhere as well.

Why did you do that? Is it stupidity?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 AM

343 posts, read 1,262,983 times
Considering that countless millions and millions of people around the world try to come to America every year I hardly think its as bas as some diluted individuals on this forum may think.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:09 PM

16,950 posts, read 11,834,180 times
Default Original question

Perhaps you need to rephrase the original question to ensure the repsonses you seek are useful to your purpose.

The question implies you seek a list of bulleted items subjectively supporting why America is the best country. If this is not your intention please restate.

To equate a personal experience in a single city to the country as a whole is incomprehensible.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,094,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Don't bother talking sense to TexasTheKid, he's just a kid with a lot of nationalism. He views the achievements of America as if he personally made them himself and that without the input of his pubescent wisdom, there would be no American Greatness of which we see today. It's also why he takes personal affront when others suggest that American culture and its powers of persuasion might not be all that. If you criticize or even just care to give a less than beaming comment about American culture, then you must be anti-America, anti-Freedom, anti-God, anti-Good-Stuff and a hegemonist. In this sense, he's a bit like Arab youths. The good thing about America is that he will have the opportunity to outgrow this phase of his life without turning into a bitter and angry extremist, perhaps as soon as he meets a nice comely girl in school.
This is a really classy post. Here is what I actually wrote if you care to read it:

Quote:
If you don't "like" American culture, that's fine, but your preference doesn't negate its existence (or its influence for that matter).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid;8066228You entirely missed the point when you glossed over the fact I was defending that America does indeed have [I
culture[/i], and this culture is dominant in the world. Let's get past your I statements and disregard entirely your subjective opinions for a moment. If you reread everything I wrote on the subject, you'll never see the word "best" written as a descriptor in my defense of my country. Dominant? Yes. Influential? Yes. Strength, Might, Leader, Benchmark and Lightning Rod? All yes.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Hmmm let's go over this.

17271 said:
"I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it? "

I replied by saying that he just described most of Europe. In other words I was just pointing out that these blights exist everywhere.

Visvaldi said: You obviously have never been to Europe

I replied by outlining some of the blight that I actually saw in Amsterdam.

Then you remark about how blighted Detroit is. When I never denied that any US city had blight. I simply tried to point out that blight exists elsewhere as well.

Why did you do that? Is it stupidity?
It seemed pretty stupid to say something as describes MOST OF EUROPE when one has only been to ONE CITY IN EUROPE. As idiotic as saying all of America is blighted based on a visit to one city. The latter part was tinged with irony which one should have been smart enough to figure out. But to explain things so that it's easy to understand, the basic premise of post: one should NOT make a blanket statement about an entire continent based on a visit to ONE city. Same rule applies to a European who makes a blanket statement about the US based on a visit to one city. I would hope this basic concept is difficult to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.